The SHE Village is moving!

What's up with our site.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: The SHE Village is moving!

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:46 am

Because of all the new accounts I've set up in the last 24 hours, there are scraps of paper all over the place with account names and passwords. Of course, they are mingling in with all the other paperwork I have right now, piled all over the house!

Just popped in here to echo what Booksaver said about saving your private message information.

As well, make sure you save a copy of your avatar. If you have a Windows machine, simply right-click on the image, and then select "Save Image As", enter a file name and make sure you are saving to a logical folder, press save, and, here's the hard part, remember where you put it on your computer!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:21 am

Now for an update on the behind the scenes work for the last 24 hours, as promised.

Summary
: We have nothing to tell you.

Details: The first attempt at a restore looked really promising but without certain files (which we have no access to) we can't see that data, we just know its on the computer. (To understand, imagine you are looking at a spreadsheet with all the numbers there but the row and column headers aren't there to organize the information so you can make sense of it. It is that 'header' information that is held in the files we have no access to.)

As of yesterday afternoon, all the reading dh and I had done showed that without the missing files, a restore is not possible. But the other moderators are continuing to google and have offered a glimmer of hope which will be investigated later today.

Unfortunately, a glimmer of hope means that we've had to stop work on preparing a new village to move into, since the foundations may be needed to place the old village 'buildings' as it is restored in the new site. So we are in pause-mode right now. Timing is an issue - dh is also working flat out to meet deadlines for New Zealand. And while other SHEs and SHEdh's have offered to help, the learning curve is steep so it makes more sense to wait for dh to become available than to start the work over with someone else doing the work.

If the glimmer of hope fails, then we'll be moving into a slightly unfinished village and you'll have to dodge pavers, roofers, cement trucks and the odd bull-dozer for the first few weeks.

Please be patient with us. We are trying to take multiple paths simultaneously, in order to preserve as much as we can. No matter what happens, we'll be preserving as much or more than we've preserved in previous moves and we'll end up with a safer site because we'll have the latest, patched, versions of the phpBB software. So our new village will be built on a much stronger foundation than this one.

In the meantime, please continue to save posts that are helpful to you. You'll be able to repost them at the new site (if we don't move all info over at once.) Please do not use the download software I posted about before, it seems to slow our site down too much. If the restore of this site doesn't work, the moderators will take steps to preserve your posts for you and send you a copy of the work. There are only about 25 members who post regularly here so we can split the work up between the moderators in different time zones and minimized the effect on the site.

Our 'lease' on this village expires on July 4. But the landlord has said that we'll get a grace period of up to two weeks after that date before the locks are changed and we'll have no more access. So, on July 4, this site will be changed to 'view only' mode so that you can continue to move things out and all new content and discussions will take place at the new site.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:32 pm

We are UPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Still have some tidying to do and we still need to update the boards to the latest software but the posts are all here!

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:08 pm

thanks everyone for their hard work on the migration. I have been MIA for awhile but glad to know this home is always here for me.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:23 pm

So what is missing?

So far, we've learned that avatars and photos are stored in the files that we have no access to, therefore they didn't get backed-up and restored when we moved.

At this point moderators can retrieve your missing avatars so that's not a problem.

Missing photos are a problem. If you posted something and you wanted it to remain in the post, you'll have to edit your post and upload the photo once again.

If anyone figures out an easier way, please let me know.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:04 pm

Ci made it in using old screen name from before taa daa!
I will wait to put up the new July ones so we can get settled in and using pwyc.
Symbols
■ ☆★♡♥◆◇•º¤■●○▪

Return to “News and Announcements”