The SHE Village is moving!

What's up with our site.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

The SHE Village is moving!

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 pm

This SHE village will be moving in the next few weeks! While we had hoped this would be our permanent address, we have learned that won't be possible. A positive aspect of the move will be conversion to the updated program and better tech support.

We are currently hoping to be able to move the boards over without losing many, if any, posts, but are not sure this can be done. We'll have more information on that in the next few days.

If there are interesting posts by others, you might want to cut and paste them into a word document.

We will be updating you as we know more.

.....Your Administration Team

Edited to redact the post saving link. The program is slowing down the SHE boards and any backups I do will crash the program if I shut down the boards while you are downloading. Once we know if posts have to be saved or not, we'll figure out a solution to doing so.

OKay

Re: The SHE Village is moving!

Postby OKay » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:02 pm

Thank you for taking such good care of this forum!

What about the expense of the move? Can I contribute?

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:05 am

Okay ... I was going to ask the same thing. Went to bed wondering what I could do to help support this village.

Many thanks to all that makes this village possible. Love and hugs to ya'll...
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:13 pm

I'm answering questions here that have appeared both here and in private messages.

1. I'm going to worry about money after. Expenses so far are $36 (paying GoDaddy to save our old web address and buying a new one.) The test run of moving the boards is being done at our business's web host (since we have a good, ongoing, tech relationship with the guys running the service. Once we prove it is going to work, the new website could be hosted anywhere. Hosting it with us would be free (and our succession plan is in place so that should something happen to us, access is assured.)

2. Harmony asked if we should be deleting our private messages and/or will they get backed up. Excellent question, I have no idea what the answer is. Will know more tomorrow. In the meantime, it is a reminder to me to go through my PMs and save important info there.

3. The new web address is http://www.SHEsOrganized.org (for organized!) Not a big change from the one we have now. Eventually, we will also have this address too, but the content it points to will be the new boards.

4. Harmony also asked about avatars. She is full of great questions! Will know more tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for remaining optimistic. This should work out well no matter the outcome of tomorrow's tests.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks for that link.
Wondering if we will need to sign up again with screen name and password again like we have done in the past.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:04 pm

For the next few days it is possible the boards will be up and down like a toilet seat lid (especially in my bathroom since things fall from the cabinet above it quite often!) The downloads only seem to take a few minutes so I'm not going to bother announcing them any more. Just give yourself a couple of minutes and retry.

In the meantime, don't bother with the post saving software since it isn't working well with me disrupting the boards all the time. We'll work out a way of saving your posts if needed. We have yet to give up hope, although, so far today, there's been little success. We are taking the attitude that each failure teaches us something new.

indy

Postby indy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Well -- I have totally LOST my sea legs here -- I ended up registering as a new member "indy44" and THEN figured out how to get to my original place -- BUT I still can't find where I can change my password rather than continuing to use the one you sent -- HELP -- I need a review of "the ropes" here. I must just not be seeing where to get to my account info to change the password but -- I don't see it. By the way -- perfect timing to here from this group again! JUST what I need a place to accountable BUT understood.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:39 pm

One thing that everyone can do right away is to go through your Private Messages folders. It's a pretty safe bet that none of those will be transferred.

Copy and paste any that you want to save, either into an Email to send to yourself, into a word processor document, or a text document like Notepad or Wordpad.
Remember to save wherever you pasted before you delete the PM.

Or go really old school and write notes on actual paper.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:13 pm

Well now, there was just several minutes of panic. :shock: I was trying to find the answer to Indy's question about resetting a password, logged myself out to test something -- and then couldn't remember my own password! I vaguely remember resetting it during the recent Heartbleed scare or whatever that was ... but apparently at the time I thought I was changing it to something so obvious that I didn't need to write it down. Yeah, right. :roll:

Anywayz -- for Indy
To change your password on this current board:
Find the "User Control Panel" -- on my screen it's at upper right.
Then click on "Profile" -- which on my screen is on the left side.
Then click on "Edit Account Settings"

There it will ask you to confirm your email address and type in a new password.
You also have to type in the current password that you received in your email when you registered.

indy

Postby indy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:06 pm

BookSaver wrote:Well now, there was just several minutes of panic. :shock: I was trying to find the answer to Indy's question about resetting a password, logged myself out to test something -- and then couldn't remember my own password! I vaguely remember resetting it during the recent Heartbleed scare or whatever that was ... but apparently at the time I thought I was changing it to something so obvious that I didn't need to write it down. Yeah, right. :roll:

Anywayz -- for Indy
To change your password on this current board:
Find the "User Control Panel" -- on my screen it's at upper right.
Then click on "Profile" -- which on my screen is on the left side.
Then click on "Edit Account Settings"

There it will ask you to confirm your email address and type in a new password.
You also have to type in the current password that you received in your email when you registered.

THANK YOU -- and sorry to cause your "scare" -- know what you mean about thinking it is SO obvious -- nope, never is that obvious.

Return to “News and Announcements”