Archiving pages

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, plus Tips, Hints and How Tos.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Archiving pages

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

After our little 'camping' adventure this week (when GetPHPbb was down and we camped out at our Yahoo groups for a few days), Indiana and I were busy archiving the Forum as of July 4 so if we ever have to move, we'll have a permanent record of what it was like here.

If there are pages you want to save on your own computer, you can do so. These pages can be read even if you aren't connected to the internet and will sit on your computer until you delete the files.

Here's how to archive a page:

1. Go to the web page you wish to save.
2. Under the File menu of your browser there is a "Save Page As" (in Firefox) or "Save As" (IE) command. Click on that.
3. A box asking where you wish to save the file will pop up. I have a file folder on my desktop called "Web Pages" where I save things but you can browse through and decide where you want to put the page. It will give the file a name but you can change that by typing in a new file name
4. Click on Save and the file will be saved.

There are two ways of viewing the saved web page:

In a browser, select File, Open File, navigate to the folder which has the web page and highlight the name of the page you want to open.

or

From My Computer Go to the directory with the file in it. There will two items for each web page, a folder (which just contains some graphic files to make the webpage look good) and a file. Click on the file (not the folder) and your browser will open up with the web page displayed.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Tips, Hints, and How Tos”