Posting Pictures

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, plus Tips, Hints and How Tos.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Posting Pictures

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:03 am

This post discusses how to post a picture, click here for the rules around posting pictures.

Pictures can be posted as a link or attachment:

Link –

You can post a picture as a link from a publicly accessible web server such as web based photo sites, or another web based site.

An example is:

http://z.about.com/d/animals/1/0/h/8/shutterstock_15713.jpg

Creating a link –

To create a link to another site enter the address of the site by typing or copying and highlight.

Click on URL and the link will become clickable.

The output will look like this:

http://shesorganized.getphpbb.com/

There is another feature that you can use instead of the link. It is a clickable link.

Note: At this time, the glossy styles are not supporting a color change to indicate a clickable link.

It would look like this:

SHEs Organized

If you place your cursor over SHEs Organized it will show as a clickable link. But since it doesn't color change for the glossy styles it is confusing. I am looking into making it change color.

If you copy the address with the http://www then you do not need to highlight the address and click on the URL button.

Note: To see the code used to produce this post. Click on quote and all formatting will be revealed.

You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. You can upload those pictures to our host's server using attachment.

Note: Pictures will be automatically sized to 300 x 300 pixels.

Attachment –

You can post a picture as an image from your pc. The picture size must be no larger than 300 x 300 pixels.

To attach a picture from the post a reply or topic screen go to the upload attachment section.

Click on browse to search your hard drive for the picture you want to upload. Click on the picture and the path will be shown in the browse text box.

If you want a comment to be added to your picture you can add in the file comment text box.

Note: When naming your file that you are uploading be sure it doesn't contain any information you don't want made public. Remove any name or identifying feature that would identify something you don't want public.

Click on Add the file. The picture will be uploaded to our hosts server.

If you want to continue typing click the inline button. If you want the picture at the bottom move up above the attachment and continue typing.

Note: I keep all pictures (avatars, etc.) I want to upload here in a separate folder labeled SHE in my picture section on my hard drive. It makes it very easy to browse.

Sizing a picture –

If you are displaying your picture as an attachment you will need to resize your picture to 300 x 300 pixels. To size a picture on your hard drive load the picture into your favorite paint program. Each program works differently.

Here's a link to resizing your picture using MS Paint (which comes with most Windows computers) Resizing photos

Use the pull down menus until you find resize. It is usually under either edit or image. Click on resize and a new dialog box will appear. Change the larger of the two sizes to 300 and the other will automatically change in some paint programs. Click ok. Save the image and you can now upload.

If your program doesn't automatically change the other size then you will manually need to change both sizes.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Tips, Hints, and How Tos”