Summer Reads 2020

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Summer Reads 2020

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:42 pm

What are you reading this summer?
Most of these are grief work but can be applied for other situations.
I got some books and wanted a spot to share what I am reading is about grief and grief recovery.
Angel Catcher Journal has light small print I looked through it and wrote down some adapted writing prompts.
Then Gave that one to Dd. It was used apirial bound. Really had some great exercises to release grief and let go.

I have some by Heartbroken healing from the loss of a spouse by Gary Roe he has a series some for grieving a when you lost a child, had a loved one
pass from sucide, a spouse. Had a new devotional out. An online website and e mails with exercised to do via e mail.
I signed up for. A reed down load book that I read 7 things I wish I'd known or similar title. He works with hospace and
has done grief counselng. Garyroe.com
He has some resources dealing with cv - 19 stuff a free book or in his blog.

It was helpful for me to get belyond being stuck after watching Dwonton Abbey maration one weekend when those books came.

The grief Recovery Handbook by John W. James and Russell Friedman
found this used.
I just leafed through this one it had doing a time line. These guys do groups for the grieving.
The last chapter talked about being stuck and not being able to let go of stuff.
I started there I had not been able to do that bc of cv-19 thrift shops were not open.
They opend up and I was able to do that step and restarted that again. [See de cluttering thread.]

The launguage of Letting Go Journal by Melody Beattie
I just read the first entry of this one and it was on goals starting the new year and fit perfectly with my
restart stuff.

The Gift in You by Dr.Caroline Leaf
A gift assessment I am reading and enjoying this one but it is sort of a slow read because I set
it aside for other activies and diff. books that came in.

A Colorful Way of LIving By Barbara Bradely Baekgaard
How to be more create more do more the Vera Bradely Way.
This book was so colorful it really is a hit with me short chapters and
fun glossy pages with fun art around what looks like a she card on some between chapters.

The One Thing by Gary Keller
I just finished listening to an audio version on it via you tube.
This was excellent for me as I sorted paperwork to listen to.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sunny

Re: Summer Reads 2020

Postby Sunny » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi Nancy. So nice to see you here again!

All my books are still packed so right now I am reading books on my Kindle. The current book is A Popular History of Ireland by Thomas D'Arcy McGee. It is a history from the earliest centuries, 300-400 AD, the Druids, St. Patrick and Columbkill and the Kings' and Princes' struggles for power through the Emancipation of the Catholics. It is very interesting and I am learning a lot.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:26 pm

Thank you both for sharing.

I am reading a lot more on my phone -- the library uses the Libby app -- and I was surprised to find out that I really do like using it. I always thought I wouldn't like reading a book on my small phone screen, and didn't want to spend any money on a Kindle/etc. I like using the phone because I can read it after dh goes to sleep and the light doesn't bother him, and I like the idea that I always have it with me so I can read anytime.
PLUS -- I have a serious overflow of books right now, which need to be decluttered and donated! My "library" is really running over.
The only problem with the Libby app is that a lot of the new bestsellers are on a LONG wait list.
I have really gotten into the mystery/thriller books like Gone Girl and stuff like that.
Right now I'm reading The Obsession, by Nora Roberts. It's about a girl who at age 11 witnesses her father, a serial killer/rapist, in the act of one of his crimes, and she is instrumental in his capture. It sounds horrible doesn't it? But so far in the book, she is doing well. I guess I like these things because they are usually page-turners and I find myself unable to put them down, wanting to see what happens next.

I'm still reading * trying to read * the biography of country singer Cowboy Copas -- killed in the plane crash with Patsy Cline & Hawkshaw Hawkins.

Also trying to complete a re-read of Christy, by Catherine Marshall. One of my very favorite books ever! If you haven't read it, I wholeheartedly recommend it to ANYONE. It is so inspiring and uplifting, and really takes you back in time to the early 1900s in the Appalachians. It is based on a true story of the author's mother's experience teaching in a one room schoolhouse.

Thanks for starting this thread!
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:15 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. Like Nancy's, my reading is non-fiction and has a theme. 3 beside my bed (though they may follow me through the house during the day).

Right now my very deep, eye-rubbing reading is God's Word to Women by Katharine Bushnell, 1903 as a course, 1921 as a book, this is the 2016 book edition. How I wish it had an index.

I've just finished, but am still referring to, an anthology of short pieces from many authors, edited by Alan Johnson, How I Changed My Mind About Women in Leadership, 2010.

And have read twice but am keeping my hand close to Rediscovering Scripture's Vision for Women, 2019, by Lucy Peppiatt, principal of Westminster Theological Centre.

Health books are waiting at the moment but I've got Your Body in Balance, 2020, by Neal Barnard hanging out here in the lineup.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:07 pm

I re-read a Jan Karon book, A Bedside Companion (I think that was the name) which Sunny gave me years ago. I'd never sat down and read it from page 1 to the end straight through. I had read it in snatches back and forth. It's a compilation of all her Mitford books, all the good parts etc. But I needed something kind and humorous and picked this one up and read it straight through. Was just what I needed. I miss my library.

Right now I'm reading Streams in the Desert by L.B.Cowman. It's a devotional and I'm reading several days each morning.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”