What are you reading?

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
CathyS

What are you reading?

Postby CathyS » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:56 am

I've had time to do a lot of reading lately.

Right now I am reading the Alex Cross series by James Patterson. In the dedication in one of his early books (pre 2000) he mentions that his fans want him to write faster. He must have figured it out, because now he can release at least 1 book a month. I think he uses co-authors to do most of the work, just like Michener did. Michener just never gave his co-writers any credit, and I think that's because his co-writers were his students. I could be wrong on this because I don't know where the person that told me this got his information and I never followed up on it.

Some earlier books have been enjoyable to read because there is no mention of cell phones or computers. If there is a computer, it's usually large and heavy and takes up an entire surface, like a table or desk. With the JD Robb books, because they are in the future, almost everyone has a wrist unit and kitchens are a thing of the past, with machines doing all the work, sort of like a microwave. You program what you want to eat or drink onto a screen, and you open the door and there's the food or drink.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:59 pm

I am reading "Destiny Step into Your Purpose" by T. D. Jakes.
About three fourths of the way done with it.
I enjoy this author.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:39 pm

I am STILL reading the book about Harper Lee -- NOT written BY Harper Lee -- Furious Hours.
In the meantime, I read Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn on the library app. It was good -- but some of you might want to be warned, it had a few fairly steamy s e x scenes. It is about a professional calligrapher who "hides" a message in some of her work, and is found out -- but this leads to romance. Given my interest in calligraphy, it was a natural choice for me. It's not truly great literature or anything, probably won't win any Pulitzer prizes, LOL, but I liked it.
Tomorrow is another day.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:32 am

Lucylee and Nancy... take time to read. Read a bit before you go to sleep at night. Enjoy the books, Lucylee and make space for them in your house. They never have to go to a thrift store. If I did that, my library would be almost empty. Instead, it is filled with old friends, like Nancy Drew and the Bobbsey Twins.

Right now I am re-reading some James Patterson books with Alex Cross. He's also an old friend.

I also have a TBR (to be read) pile. I can't count how many books are in it, BUT I intend to read some of them this summer.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:11 pm

HOORAY!!! Finally finished Furious Hours! It was good, but not GREAT.

Now I'm reading The Book Club, on the library app. It's just kinda a light novel, I think, about five women in... a book club... LOL... and how their lives go along through the years.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:06 pm

I enjoyed going to our regional library with the grands. I checked out
The FBI Way by Frank Figliuzzi, 2021, about the bureau's code of excellence and how it teaches many lessons that are good for anyone or any organization. Reading now and highly recommend. Chapters are Code, Conservancy, Clarity, Consequences, Compassion, Credibility, Consistency, and Epilogue: OPS Plan.

Also the new Fix it and Forget it for whole foods cooking. As usual, this version depends on simple recipes, but I learned several helpful things and some recipes are instant pot rather than all slow-cooker.

I haven't been in our library in ages because of Covid and because they had a renovation. It was fun to see it through the eyes of the kids. There is a new "teen loft", using some of the original two-story open space above the lobby.

Since then, dd41 has been researching how easy it is to get audiobooks, ebooks, magazines etc. online by putting in library card number. Interesting.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:11 pm

I am "reading" Circle Maker audio e-book book by Mark Batterson.
It is on prayer.
I to have not been to to library in ages and ours has been renavoated with a area over head area, that
Reminded me of what Harriet posted. The did a phase three last year
I have not been to see it they open later now.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:14 pm

how easy it is to get audiobooks, ebooks, magazines etc. online by putting in library card number.

This has totally changed my life, Harriet! Well -- maybe that's a slight exaggeration -- but honestly, since Covid started, I figured out how to use the e-card for my local library, and I have read sooo much more since then. Partly because the phone light doesn't bother dh at night like a lamp would, so I read into the wee hours sometimes. I mean -- I have read until 4:00 a.m. on occasion!

Currently, I am about to start Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. It is a re-telling of the story of Hosea and Gomer, set in the 1800s. I think this book has been around a long time, but a guest speaker at our church mentioned it a few weeks ago, and that caused me to look for it. So I'm going to start it today.

The only problem with the e-books is, so far, I have not been able to re-check one, so -- 14 days and it's gone. I guess some books are not as popular and one could re-check them if they didn't finish, but I have been on a waiting list for 99% of everything I've read, and someone else is waiting after my 14 days are up.
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:00 pm

I just finished The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins. It is kinda a modernized take on Jane Eyre, but it definitely does not follow the storyline exactly.
It is set in the largest city in my state, in present day, so had some interest for me for that reason, and it is written by an Auburn University graduate who taught high school English for three years before becoming a full-time writer. So -- you can see why I wanted to read the book -- her story is kinda #lifegoals for me, right? But... I don't know if I would recommend the book or not. I mean, it had several "I didn't see THAT coming" moments... but something about the characters just got kinda tiresome at some points. I liked it; I just didn't LOVE it. Glad I read it as an e-book and didn't spend money on it.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:50 pm

I finished The Circle Maker by Mark batterson.
Enjoyed it a lot.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”