Hello from the Big Apple

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
citychik

Hello from the Big Apple

Postby citychik » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:47 am

Greetings, all ~
Well, I'm new to this board and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm here with the hopes of getting my life in order (ha! That sounds so huge). I intend to steal all your good ideas! Though my apartment is only 400 sf, it is a cluttered mess and I feel like I'm drowning in quicksand. NYC is a fast-paced crowded and stressful place, and I'd rather have my apartment be a sanctuary from all of that, instead of the chaotic mess it is (and has been for a long time).

I'll be turning 50 this year (what??!!), am married, attending college, unemployed, and trying to start a business and work on some creative projects. My sleeping has always been an issue but has been totally out of whack these past 6 months or so. I've recently been grappling with the idea that I may have ADD - took an online assessment test and passed with flying colors, but I will have to get a doctor's opinion on that. Was never diagnosed with that before, am leery of such labels anyway, but -- if it's true, then what I've read recently about older adult women with ADD makes a lot of things about me and how I've (mis)managed my home and life make sense. Whether I am ADD or not, I know I need help. I used to have the book "Get Your Act Together" (given to me by a friend - what a hint!), read it, liked it, and didn't implement any of it. I later tried "FLYing," but none of the stuff I tried lasted very long at all, and that was about 10 years ago (I may have been a member of some similarly related boards but don't recall where, or what my username was). I have a feeling that index cards might work better for me - not sure, though! I usually only have enough energy to do the bare minimum I need to do, and I forget a lot of stuff. I don't want to grow old and never resolve these things - I'm still young and I want to enjoy my life and home, and have fun with my hubby. So, I know I need to get a handle on my organizing and time management - but I don't want my life to be all about cleaning, ugh!

So that's where my head is at right now, I will be sharing and asking for advice and hopefully putting some changes in motion. Thanks for reading, and Happy New Year!
Last edited by citychik on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indiana

Re: Hello from the Big Apple

Postby Indiana » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:27 am

Welcome citychik. I love the avatar.

Please join us anywhere you would like. We chat during the day on the daily Post When You Can topic.

Index cards sounds like a good fit for your life style.

Again welcome.

MysteryWoman

Postby MysteryWoman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 am

Welcome! You'll find a lot of us congregating over at the daily Post When You Can thread. This is a board full of understanding, supportive women -- I hope you'll be happy here! :D
I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped. -- Prince Humperdinck

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:32 am

Welcome, citychik!

I've organized with them all: cards, journal, flying, pda, online calendars. Being a classic extrovert and perpetual procrastinator - having online, real-life buddies for MOJO and accountability adds an essential component. It works for me the best, hands down. Hope you find what you're looking for here.
:: Time & Space for My Dreams :: Slow & Steady for a Lifetime! ::

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Welcome city!

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Welcome citychik! I think 400 sf would be an enormous challenge! And maybe you have stairs besides. I think there's lots of good info here and you can take what you need and leave the rest...and share tips too :D

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:10 pm

Welcome citychick. There are lots of things here.
I'm a newbie just looking around finding parts of the board here that are helping me actually do something. :mrgreen:
I look forward to reading your posts, following your progress.
Its a great way to start a new year.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

citychik

Postby citychik » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 am

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Welcome, citychik! I think you'll find a lot of good tips from the ladies on this board. I know they are a HUGE help to me!!! Glad to have you join us!
Tomorrow is another day.

citychik

Postby citychik » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks!

I noticed there are only 139 members here. I thought there would be so many more than that!
Just wondering - anyone here live in a big city? In an apartment or condo? In college? NOT have kids?

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”