Diabetes ?

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Lilac

Diabetes ?

Postby Lilac » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:22 pm

Nancy, Indiana, Empty, Dee and anyone else who uses a meter to monitor your blood glucose levels, I need your help.

What brand of meter do you use?

I use a F reestyle L ite meter. I know that it runs a little high, because I am always surprised by the results of my A1C. It always runs lower than I expected, which is a good thing, but I really want a meter that is accurate.

I just mowed the yard and I was shocked at how high my BS was after mowing. I did a test strip test and it was 127 and the range is 83 - 125, so I know it is off. I need to get a different one and I just need some advice, input, etc.

Thank you!!!!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Diabetes ?

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Lilac, I use the Walmart brand -ReliOn and their glucose strips. I started using that because it required little blood. But as far as dependable results I'm not sure. I've been using the same type for a number of years. The monitor itself has been replaced a couple of times. (by Walmart)

Hope you find a really good one!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Thank you, Dee!

I ran a second test and it was 148. I called the company and they had me do a 3rd one and it was 131. He said he will send me a new meter, a bottle of strips and a bottle of test solution. I appreciate that, but if the new one doesn't test accurately either, I will have to get a different brand.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:05 pm

I use the Lifescan One Touch. I've also use Accuchek. I've had 3 different glucometers and never paid for any. If you ask the pharmacist, a lot of times they have rebate offers for the glucometers and lancer. Because I am now on Medicare, I get my supplies from Liberty at little or no cost. The hardware was free and I pay about $2 - $5 for a 90 day supply of strips.

I have also found my BS high after exercise. The way it was explained to me is that when you exercise - your body calls for fuel and the liver lets go with more sugar - therefore your BS counts go high.

The other thing is that ALL monitor systems meet the FDA standards if they are 20% accurate. So if your BS was 100 the monitoring system could measure it at 120 or 80 and still meet the standards. See this article: http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2010/03/acc ... eters.html

I hope this helps. PM or email me if you have any other questions. My DD#1 and I have a lot of resources on line that we can share with you. I get most of my info from her as she checks everything out. She has had gestational diabetics with each of her 5 pregnancys and has been diagnosed with type 2 for the last 18 months. I was diagnosed in 1998.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Lilac
I have an Accu-Chek monitor I use sometimes.
Recently my test strips went "off" and were giving false low readings.
It was a worry but a visit to doc (for a different problem at the same time) and comparison said my meter was out (needed to take the meter etc with me.) His "diabeties expert nurse" wasn't there then so I took it to the pharmacy where their "expert" ran some tests and rang the company. Then sold me a new bottle of 50 test strips for $32. Oh to have membership in the diabeties association. Then there are subsidies here. It still wouldn't be as cheap as Indianas i'd guess.
gl with the solutions.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Lynlee, if I switch to the Accu-Chek my co-pay for 100 strips will be $20.00. Now I pay $40.00 for 100. I think the price of strips is just plan robbery, especially for anyone that is not on Medicare or does not have insurance.

Thank you!

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:29 pm

Lilac I use a Ascensia Contour meter. It is reliable and accurate.

I don't have to code the meter any more.

Like Empty said it will go up some after exercise.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:54 pm

Thank you Indiana. Usually when I mow, it really drops but it sure didn't this time.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:54 am

Lilac if you google glucose meter comparison some really helpful websites come up.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:10 am

I use Keynote meter, the strips are in the price range mentioned.
I don't have medicare/cade or ins. so it's out of pocket for me as well.
It needs a code but is really simple to enter.

I've been thinking of changing to the Bayer meter but the Rx was out of them.
You might ask your Rx for a recommendation.

I saw an add on T.V. for double checking on one of them may have been the one touch.

Yesterday I got the lawn mowed both front and back yea! Got the flower bed weeded
along the front too. Then went to the dogwood festival and tried out a new cafe' a pita place.
I was off on my meal schedule. Plus hormones are creating havoac with my blood sugar readings yesterday they were up, and digestive action can raise blood sugar readings also. I've been fighting a cold also that can elevate blood sugar readings too.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”