Kitchen remodel advice

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Dove

Re: Kitchen remodel advice

Postby Dove » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:29 am

Oh, what great ideas & advice you all have given me!! Thank you so much!! I'm going to take notes from your posts & keep it with my "Kitchen Remodeling Notebook" for reference. Cabinet guy is coming to measure today & then we can figure out the new layout more definitively. I told dh I don't want to rush this part, but really think it through.

I'll keep checking back here in case you think of anything else :) .

You gals are the best!! Thanks again!! :D

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:46 am

If I were going to get new counters I think mine are a bit short
and would see about getting the new ones to be taller.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Dove I thought of something else.

A place to sit. My grandmothers kitchen had a large window above the sink and one wall was windows end to end down to the counter. When my grandfather built the kitchen she had him make a place to sit at the counter. She didn't put a lower cabinet in. It was just wide enough for a stool with just a little room. She would sit there to do all kinds of kitchen things.

The end of my counter is open. There is a slight overhang. I have a stool there and sit to do somethings. It is ideal for decorating cookies, chopping vegetables, etc.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Added: NOT white floors. I just had to scrub mine on my hands and knees. The little RV has white vinyl. The big RV has blond pergo and it doesn't show the dirt nearly as much.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Smile*Lee

Postby Smile*Lee » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:21 pm

I have a one lever spray faucet too - love it!

Nix any white or light grout if your going with tile floors. I had to hire a professional to come in and clean mine. When the tile gets dirty, it doesn't look dark, it looks dirty. :-P

I have double sinks - one is pretty large, and one is a lot smaller where the disposal is located. Even though the larger sink is large enough to put big pans down into to soak, I think I'd rather have 2 sinks the same size.
:: Time & Space for My Dreams :: Slow & Steady for a Lifetime! ::

avadavis

Postby avadavis » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Congratulations on a new kitchen! That's so exciting. We remodeled our kitchen 4 years ago and I love it! Here's my advice to you regarding appliances. Don't ask the people who sell the products for advice. I went to several independent cleveland appliance repair companies and asked what brands they fix often and what ones they don't. We have very hard water, which is death for most dishwashers. They were able to give me an unbiased opinion.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”