CYBERALERT

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Indiana

CYBERALERT

Postby Indiana » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Companies whose customer email addresses were stolen:

Target
Kroger
TiVo
US Bank
JPMorgan Chase
Capital One
Citi
Home Shopping Network
Ameriprise Financial
LL Bean Visa Card
McKinsey & Company
Ritz-Carlton Rewards
Marriott Rewards
New York & Company
Brookstone
Walgreens
The College Board
Disney Destinations
Best Buy
Barclays Bank of Delaware

Indiana

Re: email security alert

Postby Indiana » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Dear Valued Customer,

On March 30th, we were informed by Epsilon, a company we use to send emails to our customers, that files containing the email addresses of some Walgreens customers were accessed without authorization.

We have been assured by Epsilon that the only information that was obtained was your email address. No other personally identifiable information was at risk because such data is not contained in Epsilon's email system.

For your security, we encourage you to be aware of common email scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Walgreens will not send you emails asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If ever asked for this information, you can be confident it is not from Walgreens.

We realize you previously unsubscribed from promotional emails from Walgreens, and that will continue, but we feel an obligation to make you aware of this incident. We regret this has taken place and any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any questions regarding this issue, please contact us at 1-855-814-0010. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information.

Sincerely,

Walgreens Customer Service Team

Indiana

Re: email security alert

Postby Indiana » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Below is the entire press release from the Kroger.com website.

CINCINNATI, OH – April 1, 2011 –The Kroger Co. (NYSE:KR) notified its customers today that there has been a breach of the database that stores customers’ names and email addresses only. The incident occurred at Epsilon, a third-party vendor that Kroger and other companies use to manage email communications.

Kroger stressed to its customers that the only information obtained was names and email addresses of customers. Epsilon manages Kroger’s customer email database.

Kroger urged customers not to open email from senders they do not know and reminded customers that Kroger will never ask for personal information such as credit card numbers or social security numbers in an email. Kroger apologizes to customers for any inconvenience.

Kroger customers can call 1-800-KROGERS or visit www.kroger.com/email_faq for additional information.

Dove

Re: CYBERALERT: Nationwide Email Breach Update

Postby Dove » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:46 pm

I received a D isney D estination email the other day & didn't open it. My gut said it was strange because I haven't been there in years, so I decided to wait & think it over before opening it. Dbro told me about this security breach last night, & when I checked my email again there were two from D isney, so I deleted both.

Funny thing is, I don't remember ever giving them my email, but I had visited their site in the past.

Thanks for the heads up -- I wish the people who invest their time & computer expertise to do harm would focus on doing something good instead. :roll:

Indiana

Re: CYBERALERT

Postby Indiana » Wed May 04, 2011 7:05 pm

FBI Issues Usama Bin Laden Death Email Scam Warning
Post this news to your Facebook, Tweet it or email it to a friend.

Malicious Software Features Usama bin Laden Links to Ensnare Unsuspecting Computer Users

The FBI today warns computer users to exercise caution when they receive e-mails that purport to show photos or videos of Usama bin Laden's recent death. This content could be a virus that could damage your computer. This malicious software, or "malware," can embed itself in computers and spread to users' contact lists, thereby infecting the systems of associates, friends, and family members. These viruses are often programmed to steal your personally identifiable information.

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) urges computer users to not open unsolicited (spam) e-mails, including clicking links contained within those messages. Even if the sender is familiar, the public should exercise due diligence. Computer owners must ensure they have up-to-date firewall and anti-virus software running on their machines to detect and deflect malicious software.

The IC3 recommends the public do the following:

Adjust the privacy settings on social networking sites you frequent to make it more difficult for people you know and do not know to post content to your page. Even a "friend" can unknowingly pass on multimedia that?s actually malicious software.

Do not agree to download software to view videos. These applications can infect your computer.
Read e-mails you receive carefully. Fraudulent messages often feature misspellings, poor grammar, and nonstandard English.

Report e-mails you receive that purport to be from the FBI. Criminals often use the FBI?s name and seal to add legitimacy to their fraudulent schemes. In fact, the FBI does not send unsolicited e-mails to the public. Should you receive unsolicited messages that feature the FBI?s name, seal, or that reference a division or unit within the FBI or an individual employee, report it to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at ic3.gov.

Obtained from:
FBI National Press Office
Washington, DC
202 324 3681
Received 5-4-2011

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Fri May 06, 2011 1:33 am

Dear Michaels Customer:

Michaels has just learned that it may have been a victim of PIN pad tampering in the Chicago area and that customer credit and debit card information may have been compromised.

In the event that this is a more widespread issue, we are taking the precautionary measure of alerting all of our customers so that they may protect themselves. We recommend immediately contacting your bank and/or credit card company to check for and report any unauthorized charges, as well as seek their advice on how to protect your account in the event that your information has been taken. Additional information is available on the Federal Trade Commission website at
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consume ... lt150.shtm.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may have caused you, and we want you to know that we are working with law enforcement authorities in every way we can to help in the investigation. As always, we thank you for being a Michaels customer.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

John B. Menzer
CEO, Michaels Stores

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 pm

FBI Issues Travelers' Cyber Warning

Recently, there have been instances of travelers' laptops being infected with malicious software while using hotel Internet connections.

In these instances, the traveler was attempting to set up the hotel room Internet connection and was presented with a pop-up window notifying the user to update a widely used software product. If the user clicked to accept and install the update, malicious software was installed on the laptop. The pop-up window appeared to be offering a routine update to a legitimate software product for which updates are frequently available.

Although specifically citing overseas hotels, the same type of intrusion can occur anywhere that someone connects to an unknown network.

Recent analysis from the FBI and other government agencies demonstrates that malicious actors are targeting travelers abroad through pop-up windows while they are establishing an Internet connection in their hotel rooms.The FBI recommends that all government, private industry, and academic personnel who travel abroad take extra caution before updating software products through their hotel Internet connection. Checking the author or digital certificate of any prompted update to see if it corresponds to the software vendor may reveal an attempted attack. The FBI also recommends that travelers perform software updates on laptops immediately before traveling, and that they download software updates directly from the software vendor's website if updates are necessary while abroad.

Anyone who believes they have been a target of this type of attack should immediately contact their local FBI office.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”