bookworms unite!

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
atlanticflyer

Re: bookworms unite!

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:17 pm

I like D macomber too!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:03 pm

I've been reading Kids Incredible Fishing Stories by Shaun Morey
to the grand kids. They are riveted by these stories pictures and art in this book.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:35 pm

sounds like a good one Nancy!

I went to chapters and took advantage of their 5 dollar sale and buy 3 get fourth free. now all I need is time to read them!

Dove

Postby Dove » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Several people in the village mentioned how good "The Help" was, so I put it on my Christmas list & just started reading it a few nights ago.

I am not getting enough sleep ;) ! From the first chapter the characters are so well drawn, & as I got closer to the middle of the book it became a real page turner. Last night I was reading on the couch, & told myself one hour & then to bed. When I looked up to check the clock over two hours had gone by.

The author writes so beautifully. I'm up to The Benefit chapter, & am a little apprehensive about how everything that has come before will play out & how the book will end. Can't wait to dive into again tonight, & really hope it has a happy ending.

PS -- count me among those who also like Debbie Macomber & the feel of a real book in my hand :) .

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:17 pm

dove I read the Help a couple years ago, it is a great book!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:29 pm

I am just on pins and needles waiting for the movie -- The Help. I think it is scheduled for Aug. 12.
DH says he hopes I will take my dmom with me to see it -- he does NOT think he is going to enjoy it, LOL.
I am so glad to hear others of you are reading the book and enjoying it, too! It is now up there with dmom's and my very favorite books of all time. I also shared it with a couple of teacher friends and they loved it too.
Tomorrow is another day.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:24 pm

I read all sorts of stuff and buy many of my hardbacks from Good Will.

My list is long since summer started, but then hey, thats what my summers are for. I started reading when I was in 3rd grade. The public library was less than a block from school. First book I can remember from there was Little House in the Big Woods...The first book of the series. Back then I didn't know how the library worked or to look up authors. When I returned the book I remembered the spot where I had found it. I went back thinking it must be a good "spot" and picked up another one. Later to escape my house, I would take my books up to an abandon tree house and read for hours.

What I've read so far this summer....have a few I might not remember
James Lee Burke In the electric mist w/ confederate dead
Tami Hoag Guilty as Sin
Alibiman
David Baldacci The Sixth Man
Ted Bell Spy This is a great book about counterterrorist operative who must save the U.S. from a devastating terrorist
operation. Scarey to me cause if the author can "think" it, it can be done.
Vince Flynn Term Limits
John Fowles The french lieutenant's woman Reread I've read all his works.

And my all time favorite author Robert Ludlum The Parsifal Mosaic. I am reading it now and it is a reread.
I can't read his books without a dictionary sitting beside me. His command of English and writing sets the bar high for all those who follow.
This spring I re-read Ludlum's Bourne series.

Next on my list is Water for Elephants.
Don't know how I feel about e-books. I like the feel of paper too. Wish I had a good way to remember the books I've read. Usually if I read the first few pages of a new book I can remember if I've read it or not.

Lucylee....I read HELP too and in a way it reminds me of the Yaya Sisters. I'm old enough to remember the south as it is described in the book. One of my friends gave iHelp to me, but she's never lived in the South and said she didn't get as much out of it as I did.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Something interesting about Kathryn Stockett the author of The Help.

This is her first book. While she was writing it, she was told the theme would never be interesting to readers. Many people told her she was crazy to write it.

She quite her job and wrote. Afterwards she submitted the book to be published. After being rejected 11 times Kathryn decided to go to a writer's conference to network. There she met an author who told Kathryn her (the woman) work had been rejected 12 times before someone wanted it. Kathryn thought to herself that she had a chance. Over several more years she received 19 more rejections. Her family told her to quit. And still she continued to re-write and edit. It got so bad she told her family, husband included, that she was going off on a girlie weekend. Instead she went to a motel up the road from her house and wrote. After being rejected for the 30th time, she was about to give up....then on the 31 time her work was accepted and is now a New York Times best seller.

Sometimes the story of the author is better than the book ;-)
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:33 pm

co winkie I have read Water for Elephants and loved it. I keep track of my books by something called Visual bookcase , it is an app on facebook but I think it is availble elsewhere, it records the boos for you

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Well I've been reading a lot this summer. Have no motivation for sewing, even though I should be with a baby on the way in the family.

Read Waldon, and was bored stiff. Some of those old old writers get so wordy. I'll never understand why this one is so popular. Decided to go to something newer.

So, I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows. I highly recommend this to everyone. Find it to be the perfect summer book to read, and I'd like to read it again someday. I don't say that about many books.

I read Out of Africa, way better than the movie and the sequel, Shadow on the Grass.

And another history book, Daily Life on the Old Colonial Frontier.

I'm currently reading another of Wendell Berry's books. Eastern Kentucky stories. I've read a couple of his already, and feel like I know those people.

Can you tell I've not been doing much else besides reading this summer?

I have Water for Elephants on my want-to-read list. I keep my journal in a notebook similar to school composition books.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”