bookworms unite!

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
atlanticflyer

bookworms unite!

Postby atlanticflyer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:43 pm

reading is my passion and hobby, want to start a general discussion on what you are reading? i am currently reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. on the topic of organing, how do ypou record which books you have read? i sue visual bookshelf on facebook but find it limited. if any of you have ereaders do they organize this data for you?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: bookworms unite!

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett sounds like some thing I might be interested in I've read some of his works.

I am currently reading a book by the artist Thomas Kinkade titled Lightposts for Living.
Enjoying it a lot.

I do not log books I have read just ones I want to read and keep that in the back of my daily journal that takes me about a month to fill up a mead comp. notebook.

I've never heard of visual book shelf on fb might have to go check that out.

As for "having a reader" I am not quite sure what that is please explain.

{I keep notes from books in binders of various sizes and some in my cyber groups for some topics.}

I have other novels to be read upstairs in a book shelf for summer reading, others that I have read and keep for research on diabetes for example are in the book shelves down stairs. I rarely read a book more than once so like to keep them moving along at the library for example or places that others might enjoy them like the ones I sold last month. We are considering our home down sizing and can't keep all of 'em. Three book shelves will not fit in a motor home! LOL! :roll:

My mom and granny worked in a library when I was young and love to be able to share and check out books there!

I do not have a kindle.

I remember the book mobile that bring back memories!
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:00 pm

I got my love of reading from my grandmother who introduced me to harlequins at an early age. I always pass on a book once i read it. Fall of Giants is awesome, one of his best. ereaders are kindles, kudos etc where you read the book on the screne. i don't have one because I like the feel of paper in my hands. i am now reading Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. i have read alot of Kincaids books that he co wrote with another author, can't recall her name right now, he is my fav artist! growing up we only had the bookmobile and I remeber biking to it and loading up, it was my favourite day of the month

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:34 am

For the 1st time ever a few weeks ago I took back to library a book I did not read. Just did not have the time. I miss my reading time.

I have read 1 Ken Follet book, Pillars of the Earth, and it was very graphic. I do not think I want to read another. He has a sequel to Pillars, have decided for the time being at least to pass on it.

I've been wading through all the classics I've neve read. I keep a reading journal and list those I've read and a sentence or 2 about the book. Sometimes I forget if I've read something and now I can check. In the back I keep lists of stuff I want to read.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:30 am

that is why i like to record what i read as sometimes I start a book and realize into it i have read it before. Pillars of the Earth was good, World without End was even more graphic so didn't like it. this one has some graphic scenes but it is about war so had to be but it was toned down.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:41 pm

I just finished reading "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt" by Beth Hoffman. It's what I call a "nice story" -- a character study set in 1960s Savannah. A bit of drama, some comic relief, a few eccentric Southern ladies, a young girl growing up. Nothing I needed to concentrate too hard to understand.

I've been enjoying some mysteries set in 1920s England by Carola Dunn, a character named the Honorable Daisy Dalrymple. Breezy and light, only bare minimum violence as needed to set up the murder mystery.

I also requested interlibrary loan a couple of books in a different series by Carola Dunn. Set in 1960s Cornwall, the character is the first woman detective in the area. The Saturday girl at the library left a message that 1 of the books arrived in the mail yesterday so I'll pick it up when I go to work this afternoon.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:56 pm

sounds like some good choices booksaver! i like those kind of mysteries. Our library can't do interlibrary loans due to postal strike. i am reading micheners The Covenant now

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:33 pm

I like to read books people recommend. So I read The Swan House. Very nice read.

I've been thinking I needed something other than fiction for a change. I read a history book about Florida. Not growing up here, I hadn't learned a lot of that. You always learn about the state you're in, so I know lots about Pennsylvania instead.

Then I read The Landlord's Financial Tool Kit, thinking I'd find a ready-made bookkeeping system for our rental and not have to reinvent the wheel, but nothing startling here, and I just kept on with what I was doing..

Just finished Walden Pond a History, and now I know all the environmental challenges and changes and political stuff surrounding this area. Interesting, to make an author an idol and father of environmental movement, when in reality what he did was live 1 1/2 miles out of town, at the edge of the pond without a bathroom and probably polluted all around.. :lol: and went back into town for dinners...ha ha, now I have to read his actual book.

Last month I read Seabiscuit, and right now I'm reading Ordinary Americans, 2nd Ed, u.s. history through the eyes of everyday people. Interesting.

I'm ready to go back to fiction. History books take much longer to read!

AFlyer - good to be warned that World Without End was more graphic than pillars, I'll definitely be bypassing that one. I still can't get the cat "game" abuse out of my memory from pillars.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:40 am

yes there is more of the same in World without end. wish authors would leave animal abuse out, i hate to read of it. that is why I couldn't finish The Historian. postal strike is over so ordered more from the library including the sequel to Swan House.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Bookworms Unite!

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:32 am

My summer reading list:
One Simple act by Debbie Macomber
The Sooner the Better by D. Macomber
The Sound of Paper by Julia Cameron

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”