bookworms unite!

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
atlanticflyer

Re: bookworms unite!

Postby atlanticflyer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:47 pm

good reading Motivated!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:30 am

Looks like nobody's reading! Or maybe not posting about it. I read every evening, don't watch much TV any more. Here's what I've been reading:

Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks - wonderful!
These is My Words, and Sarah's Quilt by Nancy Turner - also wonderful!
River of Earth by James Still, Kentucky coalminers/farmers in hard times.
Water for Elephants and Ape House by Sara Gruen; I liked Ape House more, both very good.
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Rebecca Wells, better than the movie!
Snow Falling on Cedars, David Guterson NW Pacific Island & Japanese story
The Dwelling Place, and The Swan House, Elizabeth Musser
Out to Pasture, by Effie Leland Wilder light and funny, she's a senior citizen in a retirement home, she has a lot of books out.

Pretty soon I'll stop reading and get ready for the end of the year and the holidays, I guess.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:37 am

I have a new fav. author Brad Thor
I've read Foreign Influence; The Athena Project, and am currently reading The Last Patriot; I have Full Black on request at the library.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:25 am

I have been reading but thought noone else is? will post my list of books later as I read so many. just finished Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen (I love her books). I have read a few of those you posted Harmony. Has anyone read Left Neglected? i just did and loved it!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:33 am

I'm reading To Be the Best, by Barbara Taylor Bradford. (I think that's right, for the author.) It is the final book in the trilogy which began with A Woman of Substance -- which was a better book than the two following, IMHO.
Tomorrow is another day.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:01 pm

lucylee i have read a bit of her books

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Dd13 says we must highly recommend The Gideon Trilogy, by British author Linda Buckley-Archer, in which she has almost finished reading the second book, The Time Thief (or "The Tar Man" in England). The first was Gideon the Cutpurse. These are 3 very long, many-faceted historical/"timeslip" novels with both youths and adults as main characters, and the final one was published 1.5 years ago. The series is considered an antidote for Harry Potter fans of all ages who are hungry for an exciting British series again, and Simon and Schuster actually made video trailers for each book release. They definitely get darker as they go along, like HP. The villain, an adult like Gideon, seems to take over a lot of this second book.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:59 pm

sounds great Harriet!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:37 pm

Aflyer -- I LOVED A Woman of Substance! I just could NOT put it down! I think the reason I liked it so much better (than the next two) was b/c it took place in a different era, you know, and reading it took me away to a different time and place. The next two are set more in today's world, so it's not such an "escape" for me. (Although, LOL, the jet-set lifestyle they live IS certainly a different world than my own little small-town middle-class life.) Also, in AWofS, the main character overcomes such terrible odds to become successful, and that is somewhat inspiring. In these later books, the main character is born with the silver spoon in her mouth, so it's not such a challenge for her to continue the family business.

I just really like books that take me away to the 1800s or early 1900s, I think. Maybe even earlier periods, but I don't want to get into these pre-historic, caveman-type fantasy novels that I see some of my students reading. And I just can't get interested in the vampire and zombie stories... and I'm not drawn to the futuristic stories, either, like The Hunger Games, which my students HIGHLY recommend.
Tomorrow is another day.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:46 am

I am pretty sure I have read this book, did she write the one aboyt the Women of the Club or some such title? Hunger Games was good but not good enough for me to read the rest of the trilogy. I don't care for fantasy literature, i like the cavemen type of scenes in books by michener and Rutherford but only because they provide background. i also like crime type of books but not really into thrillers.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”