couponing

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
avadavis

couponing

Postby avadavis » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Hello All! I'm looking for tips on finding and using coupons to my best advantage. Figuring out a productive storage/retrieval system will be important, too. I found one site, coupons.com , that's very helpful, but I was wondering if you ladies had some great tips to get me started and to keep me going.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: couponing

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:18 pm

I use coupons mostly for dining out I clip them and put those in my wallet.
Dil has a binder she uses for doing theirs.
Check out coupon Queen I like to read info. she had in our tips & stuff paper.
Also Krazy coupon lady on fb.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:21 am

Hi, avadavis, nice to have you posting with us!

I'm afraid I'm not much of a couponer myself. My son, 26, does use coupons and uses a small rotary cutting mat and cutter as he goes through the newspaper to make quick work of gathering them. If you do this, be careful because a rotary cutter is an open blade and needs caution.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:36 am

Hello!
DH here is in charge of coupons. He cuts them on Sundays after he reads the paper and sorts them into a little file thing made just for that purpose, which I bought MANY years ago. It's divided into sections like "breakfast foods," "cleaning products," etc.
He files them by expiration date, and then he takes out all the ones that expire this month and keeps them separate.
Every Sunday he makes out the grocery list and makes sure the applicable coupons are attached to it w/a paperclip.
He only cuts the ones for items we normally use -- we do NOT do the extreme thing and try to buy all we can w/coupons.
We're fairly brand-loyal, and we end up saving only a few dollars every week, but if it covers the cost of the newspapers, dh feels like he has done well!
Tomorrow is another day.

avadavis

Postby avadavis » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks, Ladies! I don't plan on becoming one of those crazed women who buy things because they have a coupon for it, but I would like to save on paper products, cleaning supplies, that sort of stuff. I don't eat prepared foods, which I'm finding is what a lot of the coupons are for. Does anyone have other sources than the local Sunday paper?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Couponing

Postby Nancy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Some stores have coupons and when they give out samples I pick up coupons for dil. Ask family, friends & neighbors. On face*book I have found a local group so maybe there is one in your area also.

Our library gives away free magazines dil likes to get them for the coupons.

Dove

Postby Dove » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 am

Welcome, Avadavis :) ! I just read in a magazine last week that 80% of coupons are still in the Sunday paper & that it is worth the cost to buy three newspapers to take advantage of all the savings. I clip coupons from the paper, but find that I use less coupons since finding cheaper places to buy things, like S am's Club for many food items & dollar stores for things like aluminum foil.

My tips would be to clip right away (I used to pile up the ads from week to week & do a marathon clip about once a month -- too time consuming & expired coupons that way), file by expiration date month (instead of breaking everything down into categories), & go through coupons that are 2-3 months from expiration when making out your shopping list in case there are some in there you can use right away.

I keep store & restaurant coupons in a drawer with a divider separating them. Bed, Bath & B eyond honors expired coupons so I keep all that come to the house. If I am going shopping I look through the store coupon drawer first. It is handy to have them all in one place but not mixed in with the grocery coupons. Kohl's is always sending coupon cards in the mail, & with the holidays coming lots of stores like P enneys are putting coupons in their circulars.

If there are products that you really like, call the 800 number & tell them so. They will often send you several coupons as a thank you. This also works if you want to try a new product.

I've often just gone to g oogle & typed in a store name & the word coupon to bring up different sites that offer coupons. Hope this helps!

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”