What are you reading this year? 2012

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: What are you reading this summer? 2012

Postby BookSaver » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:52 pm

At the 2nd hand bookstore yesterday I was lucky enough to find 4 junior mystery books from 1953-1962 in really good condition. A Nancy Drew, the 1st Happy Hollisters and another in the series, and an author I hadn't seen before. The only 1 of these I might have read as a kid would be the Nancy Drew, it seemed vaguely familiar.

In any case, for less than $10 I'm going to leave modern gory murder mysteries behind for awhile and enjoy these vintage stories of department store burglary, kidnapping without violence, hidden money, stolen gems, and a secret code from the Revolutionary War.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm going to leave modern gory murder mysteries behind for awhile and enjoy these vintage stories of department store burglary, kidnapping without violence, hidden money, stolen gems, and a secret code from the Revolutionary War.

so cool.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:30 pm

I recently bought 3 vintage books from the 1940's, part of the Vicki Barr Flight Stewardess Series. These are by Helen Wells. She also wrote the Cherry Ames Nurse Stories. Can't wait to read about Vicki's exciting life...flying the skies and solving mysteries! :)

Presently reading Lakeshore Christmas by Susan Wiggs. It is very good...angels, libraries, Christmas programs, etc...
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:30 pm

loved Cherry Ames! I am reading A Drop of the Hard Stuff by Lawrence Block

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Oh!! How I loved Vicki Barr and Cherry Ames. I'm reading more and more on my Kindle. Downloaded a Blossom Street book by Debbie Macomber and reading a Tweener Series about kids in Denmark in WWII.
Finding lots of free books on Pixel of Ink on FB. They also have one for Inspired Reads (Love the Amish books) and some for Kids.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:29 pm

well the Lawrence Block book was a bust, never went anywhere so I gave it up, reading Cobra by Frederick Forsythe

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Ha! Because of the discussion here I looked in our library for the Life of Pi book just to see what all the discussion was about...and it is out. Someone in my town is reading this thing! I read Man of War by Dorothy Ours, story of one of the greatest race horses. I've read a few horse books, the last one was SeaBiscuit. I can't watch a horse race because I'm always worried a horse will trip and get hurt, but I can read books about them!

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:15 pm

still reading cobra!

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 am

Presently reading The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury. Up next will be The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling, then Five Miles South of Peculiar by Angela Hunt. Had requested these at library and they all came in at the same time...not complaining, just may have to stay off computer to get them all read in a timely fashion! :D

ellyphant

Re: What are you reading this year? 2012

Postby ellyphant » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Now reading the last one of those books I listed in previous post. After this, will start Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”