What are you reading this year? 2012

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
ellyphant

Re: What are you reading this summer? 2012

Postby ellyphant » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:52 am

Speaking of magazines...I get Good Housekeeping and Veranda. Seems like I've been reading GH all my life. "MaMaw" always had that one at her house. As for Veranda, that one was new to me, but I love the beautiful glossy pictures. Will be saving those issues for reference (not that my house looks anything like the ones they show)! GH gets recycled each month.

DH gets Popular Mechanics and Road and Track. They get recycled, too, each month.

DD got us all 4 subscriptions free with some kind of points she gets online. Otherwise, we wouldn't have them.

BTW, Harriet, DH loves Tractor Supply. I usually hit the dollar store while he's in there. Now that I have veered off topic, I'll say goodnight.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:42 am

Harriet --
Good Housekeeping
Ladies Home Journal
Redbook
-- all arrived same day. That is very unusual.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 pm

There is one called "Chickens" I browse through when I"m at the store.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:56 am

I read this book Chicken Coops 45 building ideas for housing your flock. By: Judy Pangman There are no blue prints in it but great stories how each coop was created with the ideas behind it and drawings of how it's set up. H. enjoyed it too. I learned so much from this book it was a great read as well!

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:50 pm

miss this thread! saw some I want to read and some I have, read the Guernsey literary society...... good but not a grabber, Grishams The associates was great, love some of miclael Crichton. I have seen the series Supersizers, find them hilarious! I tend to get an author and not stop til I exhaust him/Her, started Faye Kellerman, Frderick Forsythe, and now doing Sara Paretsky. as you can see I love crime drama. Just finshed a few by the author of An Irish Country Doctor, his name escapes me but his series is a grabber and I think I have read all but one. highly highly reccomend it. okay now back to my book! I only read magazines for work and rarely non fiction, it doesn't hold my interest

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:12 pm

I've requested some chicken books from the library to read.

scattered

Postby scattered » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:43 pm

OMG... I am not sure I could list all the books I've read this year. I got DS13 a Kindle for christmas but his :evil: DDad :evil: had to get him a Nook for his BDay (Jan 4th) with all the accessories to one up DMom... so my sweet loveable DS13 gave me his Kindle so I wouldn't feel bad. I LOVE IT!!! No it's not a fire or anything fancy just the entry level Kindle, but since our local library has an eBook program I can read all the books I want for free. 8-)

Now working on book 3 of the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin, This is the series that the HBO series "A Game of Thrones" is based on. It was recommended by a co-worker and I love it. Somewhat dark and gory and according to my co-worker very close to the TV series. I have never seen the show but might pick it up on DVD when I see it. I refuse to pay for more than basic cable (Fios actually).
"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." — William James

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:24 pm

I would love to have an ereader. here in Canada Kobo is more supported by ebooks followed by kindle. I want one with a touch screne. I am reading river City by John Farrow

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm reading A Perfect Square by Vannetta Chapman. It's book 2 in the Shipshewana Amish Mystery series. Great book...quilts, a dead body, some humor. Library doesn't have book 1--will have to look on Amazon for it.

Next up is the new Debbie Macomber The Inn at Rose Harbor. I'm the first one to check this one out...

Yay, I've learned to do underlines!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:38 pm

ellyphant, I read The Inn at Rose Harbor, loved it and pre-ordered Debbie Macomber's Angels at the Table, to be released on Oct. 23. I went to her website, signed up, and she sent me a newsletter, bookmark, baseball card with her on it because she threw out the first pitch this summer at a Mariners game, and she sent stickers of re-release dates of books, and release dates. On her bookmark she's listed release dates and re-release dates, of books, 1 a month.

Right now, I'm reading, Writing Lies for Fun and Profit - A Manual for Fiction Writers, by Lawrence Block. It's very good. I have several books on my Nook, too.

For magazines, I read:

Good Housekeeping
Woman's Day
The Writer's Digest
Woman's World
Crochet!

I've gone to YouTube to watch interviews with Debbie Macomber and they say that Hallmark is making a movie, to come out this month, called, "The Inn at Rose Harbor." I've looked on our cable TV listings, wasn't able to find it, so I'm wondering if it might be the last weekend of this month because I understood the movie to be released in Sept. I'd sure love to watch it. Macomber is a 1st class act. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”