What are you reading this year? 2012

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
ellyphant

Re: What are you reading this summer? 2012

Postby ellyphant » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:09 am

Harmony--I've read some good books out of the juvenile section, too. Stories about moving west--can't remember the names right now.

Just finished Their First Noel by Annie Jones. It's an "inspirational romance" with Christian characters and a Bible verse as the theme.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:43 pm

That makes me want to read A Beautiful Mind, Harmony... sorta... b/c tiny print is getting harder and harder on my eyes!
I'd like to re-read the Little House books, and read (for the first time) the Janette Oke books, too.

HOWEVER... oh. my. goodness. I really have a lot of student papers to read right now. No matter how hard I try, I cannot stay ahead of the grading. I've got about 30 more journals to check tonight, so I can get grades in computer by tomorrow.
This is something I will enjoy sooo much about retirement -- time to read!
Tomorrow is another day.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:12 pm

me too! but retirement is 20 years away for me sigh. I am reading a series by Jane Cleland, mystery

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:08 pm

I have finished A Beautiful Mind and I heartily recommend it to anybody interested in academia, mathematics, mental health, or just a very very interesting character. It was so very different from the movie. So much better. The ending chapters read quicker in that those parts are more about the people, and it was very interesting to find how he came out of his schizophrenic fog, and redeemed his scholastic abilities and in a big way most of his relationships. Did some checking, and I find that Nash is still alive, living with his wife and schizophrenic son in Princeton New Jersey, lecturing around the world, still doing research in his office at the college. Amazing.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:24 am

Right now I'm reading a Debbie Macomber book called, "Three Brides, No Groom," and I'm also reading Lawrence Block's, "Telling Lies for Fun & Profit - a Manual for Fiction Writers." Also, I received the "2013 Novel & Short Story Writer's Market" book today and on the 23rd, another book I've pre-ordered of Debbie Macomber's, "Angels at the Table" will be shipped out to me. I find her writing to be very relaxing, sincere, entertaining, romantic, funny, and very insightful and sweet, too.

I have tons of books on my Nook, which I'm slowly reading. Right now I'm reading an Australian anthology of contest short stories, who won prizes, and the honorable mentions, too. They started with the teenagers first.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:31 am

i have Lawrence Blocks A Drop of the Hard Stuff sitting to read next, wonder if it is any good?

helia

Postby helia » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Our book club is reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck for our meeting next month. I have never read it, though some of the other women have. Ds and dd17 have read it for school, so it's about time I read it. . . . Last month, my book club read The Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey Wallace, loosely based on the story of the first? typewriter made by Pellegrino Turri in Italy in 1808 for a blind contessa. It was nicely written, a quick read that read very smoothly.

Harmony, that is amazing! I didn't realize Nash was still functioning professionally. I also didn't realize the movie was based on a book.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks for passing that knowledge along, Harmony.

Hi to atlantic flyer. I'm so suspicious on behalf of my time these days, I'd probably check plenty of reviews before diving in to an unknown book. The one I bought today had a personal recommendation or I wouldn't have spent a dime on it, I doubt. It was part of a speech I attended. I hope you enjoy yours.

I'm reading Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell. Non-fiction as usual, but this time a book on human potential rather than my usual practical health or creativity. The idea is that we can't really understand success if we don't look outside normal experience into peculiarities and unexpected logic. I'm sure it will be a pass-along to dd32.

Dd14 is reading The Life of Pi now with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings waiting. She considered Kindle editions but decided she wanted books to hold so we picked up small paperbacks after all. My theory of educators making sure highschoolers read enough tragedy and upset is proving out again, although it could certainly be worse. I wonder what it will mean for dd's class as the first one of this teacher's classes to be studying The Life of Pi after the movie comes out. Worse case scenario is that the teacher could change his mind and choose something different to study. Hope not. Homework time is tight enough.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:39 pm

I have The Life of Pi in my to be read pile, does she know a movie is coming up based on book? I am reading Winter of the World by Ken Follette, excellent book. I check out reccomendations on Goodreads before i read a book

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Yes, that's why she's reading this one first, well ahead of schedule. She wants to have the book firmly in mind before trailers and ads for the movie start giving concepts that might not "fit" with the read. Obviously the teacher (who has been using this book in this course for years) will teach on the book not some director's ideas! I've never had a child studying a book for school at the same time a major motion picture for it was out. Strange situation.

Btw, at any Barnes and Noble you can just walk in and get a free 33-page mini-paperback book that precedes the new Lemony Snicket 4-book series "All the Wrong Questions", coming out October 23. "An account that should not be published, in four volumes that shouldn't be read" :D Great fun! I have a special place in my heart for Lemony Snicket, "who" got dd through a lot of Accelerated Reader headaches. She often said she wished the previous series had never ended, and my dsonil loved it dearly, too, reading the whole series as an adult. Also you can read online just the first chapter (about half of what is in the free paperback) at The Guardian newspaper.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”