What are you reading this year? 2012

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
ellyphant

Re: What are you reading this summer? 2012

Postby ellyphant » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 am

Ivy--I get those newsletters and bookmarks from Debbie Macomber, too! I also loved her latest book. Will be watching the library website for the new angel book. They usually have all of her new books. Don't think I get the Hallmark channel. So nice to meet someone here who reads her books! I discovered the Cedar Cove Series as a new emptynester and it was like finding new friends! I enjoy her Blossom Street Series, too.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:16 am

I have read some Macomber and she is good! Not my fav genre though. I love crime and whodunnit books. Right now I am reading a series by Jane K Cleland. It is about an antiques/auction store owner and it is great, I am a museum curator so can relate to alot of the technical content.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:28 am

atlanticflyer...

I'm with you. However I decided after I retired I would branch out and read bio's of people I've always wondered about. I have George Washington , King George Vl, and Condoleasa Rice books to read. My goal is for every spy/mystery novel that I read, the next has to be a bio.

I am listening to audio books as well. I listen to them at night before I go to bed. So far I've "read" Creole Belle by James Lee Burke, No Easy Day by Mark Owen and now am working on The Black Count by Tom Reiss...which I must say is a fascinating true story about Alex Dumas...who wrote The Count of Monte Cisco...and his black father, the real Count. It is one of the most remarkable true stories I have ever read.....

http://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Count-R ... lack+count
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:44 pm

ellyphant, This was the first time I've ever read Debbie Macomber. I asked DH to try to find the movie, "The Inn at Rose Harbor" on TV and after he could NOT find it anywhere, he said, "It's probably being released on DVD!" :lol: I never thought of that. I bet it'll be a wonderful movie and may come to cable someday. :D

Cowinkie, Your book sounds good, too. :)

Atlanticflyer, The Debbie Macomber book was my first romance novel. :oops: But I've downloaded romances on my Nook. I enjoy writing light romantic stories. ♥

I have a few romance novels a DF gave me, but haven't read them yet. I have so "much" reading to catch up on. :oops:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Ivy...

Long ago I used to write as well. When I first "heard" Creole Belle I was absolutely mesmerized to hear the author's words. I lived in New Orleans and knew where almost every event took place. Burke's descriptive words made the story "jump" in my mind...sounds, and smells and feelings. I would lie in bed and close my eyes as I listened, and for the first time an audio book made me "see" the book like I do when I am reading. The narrator used the New Orleans dialectic when he read and it was just like I had stepped back in time and gone home. I could smell the smells and hear the sounds. It was a wonderful experience.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:24 pm

I have checked out three books on chickens from the library two are back in the car as I'm done with them one more to go. One was terribly outdated, the other not much help on coop building as we are done with that part just putting on the netting. Neither one was much help for nest box dimensions either.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Nancy....could you google what you need to know??? I do that alot now. Also try youtube.....people post all sorts of videos on how to do things. I'm thinking of doing some tile work in my house and am using youtube to show me how to do it.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:01 pm

I've see what I need to know on line but forget the source. :roll:
Back from the library returned two books, donated a stack of kids books and checked out The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens. By Andy G. Schneider & Dr. Brigid McCrea
There is very little info out there for hatching eggs under a heat lamp like we are doing that I've found any way.
Got a couple of kids books for dgd too.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:36 pm

I love biographies too, I have never done an audio book or used an ereader

great to know we have so many writers on here!

just finished Sons of Encouragement by Francine Rivers, awesome

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Nice to see I'm not the only one reading. I went back to reading for a bit, it's less energy draining than my sewing was.
I read through the Little House series again as there were some I missed as a child, and enjoyed the light read. 11 books.

Read Love takes wind, and Another Homecoming
by Janette Oke. I've read a bunch of her books.
I read The Journey, by H.G. Adler, translated from German to English by Peter Filkins. Oddly written fiction (but based on his experiences as holocaust prisoner), very grim read.
Read 3 of the American Sisters series, 1852,West along the Wagon Road
, 1864 Crossing the Colorado Rockies, and 1704 Horseback on the Boston Post Road, all by Laurie Lawlor. These were in the juvenile section as are the little house ones, but still a pleasant read.

I'm working my way through A Beautiful Mind, by Sylvia Nasar. I thought the movie was interesting but the book is way more involved, small print on 388 pages of actual story. Lots of academic technical stuff that makes reading slow but it's so interesting I'm not skipping any of it. I can only read a couple pages at a time before I fall asleep, so it's taking a while. I gotta say, the movie made John Nash look like a nicer person than the book does, despite his schizophrenia. There were many issues the movie did not deal with at all.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”