What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:50 am

What are you reading this year in Jan. 2013 what books do you hope to finish and do you have any reading goals for the year?
I know some years I have reading goals like read x amount of books per week or month or for class.
I'm reading a Chickens magazine this month.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cowinkie

Re: What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

Postby Cowinkie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:29 pm

I just finished The Quiet Game by Greg Iles. It is set in Natchez, Mississippi. He's one of my all time favorite authors and he didn't disappoint me with this book either. He is often compared to Grisham but I rather agree with this readers review. You can go to Amazon to find out more about the book. .....

Reader's review....
Not that I have any problem with John Grisham, but he seems to be compared quite often to Iles and I honestly don't see it. Grisham, although sometimes entertaining, tends to write screenplays rather than novels. The Quiet Game, although as familiar as Grisham in landscape, takes you on an absolute roller coaster of intrigue with a diverse cast of players leaving you with an uncontrollable passion to continue turning pages.

Iles has a gift for making even the predictable components of the story exciting to read as well as taking ordinary dialog and making it compelling. His use of the first person narrative, which I am not often a fan of, was an excellent choice for unfolding the story in a Whodunnit fashion that grips you and steadily immerses you into Natchez Mississippi and the heart of this story.

This is Iles' 4th book, and very different from the rest, and I loved them all. He's just replaced Crichton as my personal favorite author. I recommend him to anybody.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Working my way through a stack of magazines that DD left here for me. While I do enjoy looking at them, I also plan to get them into the recycling bin ASAP!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm reading High Adventure in Tibet by David Plumire.
The life and labors of pioneer missionary Victor Plymire it's a biography I like bios.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:06 pm

I finished Outliers, the Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell and highly, highly recommend it. This was the one upon which the keynote speech of the Academy of Engineering induction at dd's high school was based. It was not easy to read, just because it's deep (it's not terribly long), but definitely hard to put down, fascinating and gets you thinking for sure. It's about our closely held ideas of how people become successful - and that they are wrong. It's not written to create success, exactly, rather to help understand it, but it does spark hope that you can be successful, help young people succeed in particular, and recognize that successful people are not so amazing and special as we've been taught to think. Certainly full of facts most people don't know, so a good conversation starter.

Dd32 knew I was enjoying it, and for Christmas gave me Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, about whom she had read that, "If you like Gladwell, you should read Kahneman." It is significantly longer, very thick, but I suppose she has faith my brain will hold out, lol. She also got me A Visual History of The King James Bible, remembering my trip to see the Museum of the Bible exhibit.

Sometime I'd also like to read Malcolm Gladwell's other books. But I'm going to try Kahneman for a while - until I blow a brain gasket. ;) A quick glance through shows me I may have to take it in spurts!

helia

Postby helia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:52 pm

I haven't read Outliers, but I've definitely heard of it, Harriet. Other friends of mine have read it. I think dh has said some similar things himself about success in terms of timing etc. being just right; for example, I think he has said that he himself started out in an up and coming field, which helped him a lot. I'll put this on my "to read" list.

Have any of you read the Tiger Mom book? I have a lot of friends (some Asian) who have read that; they have mixed reactions to it, which is interesting.

I'm working slowly on The Brothers Karamazov. I now need to put it aside and read another book for our book club this month: Little Bee.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:54 pm

My latest batch from library: Angels at the Table, by Debbie Macomber...Material Witness, by Vannetta Chapman... Prayers of a Stranger, by Davis Bunn
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:11 pm

I just finished reading, "A Confident Woman," by Renee Swope last night. It's relgious.

I am currently reading, "Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life," by Natalie Goldberg and The Mayo Clinic Diet Book.

I've got out "The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book - Everything You Need to Put Your EQ to Work," by Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves. I've started it awhile back, but never finished it, so need to start again.

I just ordered, "Boundaries- Where Do You End and I Begin?", by Anne Katherine, M. S.

I have some Debbie Macomber books here, too, "Water for Elephants," from DD to read, "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers," by Robert M. Sapolsky and many, many others of non-fiction and fiction. I love Macomber books because I get "lost" in them, whereas with non-fiction, they make your work your brain harder and think more. :)

Happy Reading to Everyone! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Ivy I've enjoyed Natalie Goldberg's other writing books.
I've read that one too forget the titles of the others and Stephen King has a book on writing out that I read it was good. I liked reading the back ground of where some if his material comes from.
I also enjoyed The Right to write by Julia Cameron.
I'm reading another issue of chickens mag. when ever I can get it away from one of the guys! LOL!
We have some assigned reading from church this spring I think so that will be my focus.
I would love to know more about the one A Confident Woman I'll be checking in to that one.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:54 am

Nancy, I've read, "Writing Down the Bones," by Natalie Goldberg and it was like a creative shot in the arm for me! It helped me with my writing. :D I haven't read her other books yet though. Which ones have you read? :?:

I accidentally gave the wrong title for Anne Katherie,M. A.'s book. And she's an M. A., too. It is:

"Boundaries- Where You End and I Begin." I added a "DO" in there. :oops:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”