What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Ivy

Re: What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

Postby Ivy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I downloaded an e-book called, "I'm Not Fat, I'm Fluffy," for free last night. It's a Christian book. It sounded like a fun way to look at being overweight and I expect it to be a positive and humorous book to build me up and not tear myself down because I don't fit into the "svelte category." :!:

DD is getting ready to send me more books, too. ♥ She's sending "When Bad Things Happen to Good People." Several people I've told, tell me, "It's a great book!" I'm looking forward to receiving it in the mail so much. I eagerly await it's arrival. :D DD truly blesses me with her books.

I saw the author, Ryan Winfield, on the morning news yesterday. His newest book has hit the Best Seller book lists everywhere. The title is "Jane's Melody." It's romance, written from the female POV, although the author's a man. Jane buries her son after he overdoses on drugs. She eventually takes in a younger man, to live with her, so she can understand why her son did what he did, to make sense of it all, and she falls in love with the man. ♥ It sounds like he's a good author because of his best seller lists he's on and has been on. He lives (I believe) :?: on Bainbridge Island in WA State. Eventually, I'm going to purchase this book, waiting for a gift card at Christmas or my Jan. b-day. :idea: I want to read it because he's a WA State author, he writes from a female POV and it's a romance. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 pm

I think I agree w/you about Night, Harriet. I think ds read it in 10th or 11th grade. And I think he liked -- appreciated, maybe is a better word -- it. But I'm like you. It's a little much for young teens. I read just a bit of it, and then an exerpt of it in literature book one year, and it was almost too disturbing for ME. But everything about the concentration camps and Hitler's reign is very disturbing to me. When I taught 11th grade history one year, I actually had nightmares about it! I can watch movies -- I can deal with 2-hour episodes -- but I cannot immerse myself in it for long periods of time.

This only came upon me in later years. I read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom when I was about dd's age, and I really loved it. I also loved Animal Farm, which is in a similar theme, I guess, so far as government takeover and control goes, but now that I am older, I just can't deal with it. Maybe b/c I am more aware of the realities of government control now? I can't explain it.
Tomorrow is another day.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:00 pm

:D DD mailed me 4 books she's read. Here they are:

#1- "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close," by Jonathan Safran Foer, which was a movie, too.

#2- "The Messenger," by T. Davis Bunn, who also wrote "The Quilt," and "The Gift." Its a book about an angel.

#3- "The Message - Job - Led by Suffering to the Heart of God," by Eugene H. Peterson, which is an updated more modern version to the Biblical Job's story.

#4- "When Bad Things Happen to Good People," by Harold S. Kushner.

I was to read book #4 first. :idea: I need to add order to my books, so they're not clutter and overwhelming. I can't read all books at once, so I believe my new "rule" will be to keep out no more than 2 books at a time and keep what I'll read next, in my office, which is a great home for books. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:40 pm

:oops: :o :roll: I uncontrollably downloaded 32 free e-books onto my reader. Some are cookbooks, some are on weight loss, Amish stories, romances, adventure, and mysteries. I call it "shopping" WITHOUT $$ because it's "LIKE" shopping, but it's FREE purchasing and free tax, so it = $0. I read the books, later delete or archive them to read again. :idea: I'm real happy with my choices, too. :D

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Have read Maeve Binchy's Silver Wedding and Light a Penny Candle. Now working on Firefly Summer by the same author.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Nope, no time for reading here.
Plenty of movies here with new tv and netflix so I am happy with that. Unless you count kida books.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Nancy, What kind of new TV did you get, size screen, and brand? :?: You're lucky to have Netflix. DD does that, too, still, I think.

I was reading my daily devotion this morning and the writer of it referred to the author Jonathan Safran Foer and I have one of his books, sent to me by DD! It was a movie, but DD said the book's better because they took 2 book characters, made them into 1 single character for the movie to "Hollywood" it up and it's not the same feelings as you get by the written word. The book/movie I'm referring to is "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close."

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:06 pm

We got a Visio tv I really wanted Samsung but this other one was bigger 50" for the same price. :roll: So of course the guys like that.

My samsung remote tablet has an app. for a smart remote. We like the U-tube app.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Our TV is 61" and DH "LOVES" ♥ ♥ ♥ that, too! :roll: It takes up the entire wall, except there are built-in entertainment centers on both sides of the TV. Guys and their TV toys! What's up with that? :?: I don't "get" it. I really don't. :?

We don't have a Smart Phone or iPhone. We only have basic service with a flip-phone, the old one. We don't text message either. We're happy this way, but I do admire our grands and adult kids/Ddil who have the fancier phones. They take photos, text, and all sorts of things.

Your Samsung remote tablet's app for the Smart Remote sounds great. I love You Tube. I'm glad you're able to get the U-tube app and enjoy this new routine and fun way to watch TV now. It sounds so neat.

I downloaded several "free" e-books last night. Several are on writing, some are anthologies and a short story. I also downloaded some e-books, which were romance and I couldn't resist, "Fat Pat." :lol: I'll be busy reading some more, but isn't that what writers do? I need to remember to move, exercise, and all that because I can't sit 24/7 not burning many calories. I'll reward my reading time by getting active first. I enjoy the e-book because I can bookmark it, get up and then do things and come back in 15 minutes or so. :idea: :)

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Nancy, our tv is vizio also. But it's a 32 inch, I believe. We've moved it closer to the seating area, so it seems bigger now!

Ivy, no texting or updated phones here either, and I also love y outube.

Took a break from Firefly Summer and read a quick Amish romance yesterday. It's called The Christmas Visitor by Linda Byler. The other book was getting a little tedious. Will give it another chance today. :lol:
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”