What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Ivy

Re: What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

Postby Ivy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:05 pm

My new read is: 101 Projects From Crocheters Around the World - Crochet One-Skein Wonders,", Edited by Judith Durant & Edie Eckman. It's a wonderful book for a crocheter's library. :idea: :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Smiling at the title of ellyphant's book.

Ivy, I love non-fiction reads about my own interests, too.

At the new Goodwill I browsed books and found worn but solid copies of Dr. Michael Roisen's Real Age 1999 and Dr. David Perlmutter's Better Brain Book 2004 for $2 each. Both of these are often-recommended books with good reputations so I was glad to find them. If they don't make it permanently onto my shelf, they can go right back someday for someone else.

I'm blessed that I have a shelf for health books so that I have a limited space. It keeps me gleaning those that don't deserve room on the shelf the way others do. And it keeps me aware of the ones I do prize.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:34 pm

Harriet, Those 2 books you found are good reads, they sound like, and good finds. :D

I love books and so does DD. She called recently and said, "When you die- :lol: - I'd like your oak china cabinet, the china and ALL YOUR BOOKS!" She said, "Those are ONLY the things I want or need." :lol:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 am

Gardening mags. and outdoor living spaces are what I'm reading as we focus on getting the yard in shape again.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm reading up on Zumba before I get "into" starting to baby-step the workout. I'm reading on things about writing, stories, and I'm brushing up on information about fibromyalgia. I need to review a book on setting boundaries, too. :idea:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi! :D I just ordered Debbie Macomber's book, with the Deluxe Edition from B 'n' N with the added extras in it, exclusive for B 'n' N customers. The title is "STARTING NOW", and it is about an attorney (from her Blossom Street Series) (#9 book in the series). She loses her job, starts hanging out at a yarn shop, which is a cute title (can't remember) :roll: :?: , but perhaps A Good Yarn shop. The character learns about starting over and starting now, from the other knitters and crocheters in the shop. It sounds like a good read! :!:

The info at the B 'n' N page said the extras in this book, are similar to their extras in their "Inn at Rose Harbor" book, which I have. It had crochet and knitting patterns, an interview in their "newspaper" of which Debbie was interviewed, etc... It was a wonderful last summer read, it was my very first Debbie Macomber book. I'm embarrassed to say, :oops: I didn't know she existed until last summer! Now I love her, have more of her books and she's a wonderful person.

Also, I've signed up to be in her fan club, get her newsletters, I've written to her and she's written back. Also, at Christmastime, my recipe on-line, was picked by her so she sent me a free autographed edition of her Cedar Cove Cookbook! Great recipes! Anyway, whenever you find a good author, they love hearing from their fans and it makes their day sometimes. I just can't say enough about her.

The only other author I've written was Sarah Ban Breathnach, who sent me a bookmark and letter, too, twice. She wrote, "SIMPLE ABUNDANCE." Also a great read and great author, too! :D Sorry this got so long! It's just that I'm so excited about my new book coming! :!: :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:27 pm

I had an idea :idea: because Debbie Macomber's newest book arrives on Sat., how I should probably finish her other book, re-released this past fall or winter, to read it before the new one comes. The re-released one is called: "THREE BRIDES, NO GROOM." It's the story of 3 young women, talking about their past college relationships, how their proposals and romances did not work out. I'm on the last woman's story now, at the end of the book. They're all talking at the fountain. I can hardly wait until they go inside for their class college reunion and run into their past loves to see if these 3 young women will end up with their true loves or not or with the loves they met when they'd been dumped, etc.... It's romantic, exciting, entertaining and such a good read. She's a lovely writer. :D

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Cowboy Cookbook I got at a yd. sale yesterday for 50 cents interesting with where to put the rifle and bedroll in the wagon! Recipes, sketches, photos and more! :mrgreen:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Some news to relay from the books section of our paper:

''In late May comes the big kahuna of Arthurian publishing: an unfinished work by J.R.R. Tolkien called The Fall of Arthur. It's bound to be a best-seller."

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Well I don't know if I should admit this or not, but I'm so stressed that I am reading all the time, every evening, etc. I don't watch much TV, though it is often on in the background. I am still being social with my church work and bible studies, so I'm not totally withdrawn, but have been using this way just to de-stress and "settle my mind". I suppose one could let this get in the way of life, but I am still doing all that's necessary...

My lists would be too long, since I started reading this way. I will list some of them:

Jeanette Oke: Love comes softly series I've read 5 out of the 8
Jeanette Oke's A Prairie Legacy Series, all 4
Jeanette Oke Seasons of the heart, I've read 2 of the 4
Jeanette Oke Series, Canadian West, I've read 8 of the 12

Jeanette Oke & T.Davis Bunn, series Song of Acadia: I read 4 of the 5 these are great!
Effie Leland Wilder, sweet stories of retirement home doings: Oh, My Goodness! and Over What Hill - easy / funny reading

Then I started reading Elm Creek Quilt Series by Jennifer Chiaverini and I don't know how many there are of these but there's a couple shelves in our library, I've read 2 of them, The Union Quilters (Union Quilters raise money to build a building and sew and send to Union soldiers from their area) and The Wedding Quilt (story of the original Union Quilters descendents years later).

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (Old literature like Jane Austin)
and The Suncatchers, by Jamie Langston Turner, this one has a Christian message interwoven.

Right now I'm reading Stranger in Savannah, by Eugenia Price, civil war era in the south. I've read a bunch of hers a while back. This one is 755 pages, gonna take a while.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”