What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:46 pm

This week I read two new chicken magazines that I got last weekend.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Dd reports she would tentatively recommend Feed, which is a highly acclaimed novel about a future in which computers are hard-wired into people's brains for no-hands convenience. They constantly "feed" information, advertisements and poorly-formed conversation. This has resulted in a general decline in the level of intelligence. Those who don't have the "feed" procedure early enough in life (childhood) have medical problems later.

The book was recommended by her English teacher for 9th grade assignment reading, and he let her borrow his copy. But she says it's pretty mature, because of the tragedy of loss of free-thinking, and she wouldn't want anyone younger than her to read it. She says it can be difficult to read because the author is allowing all the characters' speaking abilities to wane into shorthand, slang and confused overuse of the word, "thing".

March 19 - I read the book after dd and I don't recommend it. Dark, despairing, hopeless. I really should start reading these possibilities ahead of her when they are not classics that are known quantities.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Reading the newest and final book by Maeve Binchy, A Week in Winter. I love her writing. Have read about half of her books. Happy that I still have her first 9 novels to read (from the library).
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm reading some gardening book finds before I pass them on to Dd.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Now reading Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson. It's another free book I got last summer. Trying to clear out a batch of those.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm reading Bless Your Heart, Tramp by Celia Rivenbark. This woman is hilarious. I find myself laughing out loud as I read. DS and DDIL got this book for me. I think they must have known I would enjoy getting in touch with my Southern roots! :)

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:30 pm

I've been rereading Harriet's War and Harriet Sees It Through by Joyce Dennys. Both are set in Devon, England in WWII.

I liked the first book the first time I read it several years ago. I'm enjoying both books even more now that I've learned more about the rationing system in 1940s England and have also seen the Edwardian Farm series set in Devon.

The winter season is too dark and cold for me to read anything serious. I'll be reading comedies and cozy mysteries until we get a lot more sunshine.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 am

A pen pal told me in a letter yesterday, how if I ever read a book by Alison Wier, I'd never be disappointed. :idea: I need to look her up.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:17 pm

I looked up the author, Allison Wier, at Barnes 'n' Noble and she writes historical books. :idea:

Today, I pre-ordered a book. It's title is: Crochet One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects from Crocheters Around the World, by Judith Durant, (Editor), and Edie Eckow, (Editor).

If there is a typo on the authors' names, it's because #1- I can't read my chicken scratch and #2- I have some eye ointment and eye gel in my eyes, which makes it more difficult to see clearly. :roll: But this is temporary; this will pass.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm reading SWAG Southern Women Aging Gracefully by Melinda Rainey Thompson. This one is funny, but has a lot more to say than the book I listed here previously. I'm surprised that I like this book so much as when I first saw it I had no desire to read it. (It was a gift.) :)

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”