What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Reading The Winter Vault by Anne Michaels it's great b/c I've not had time to read for a while. I am enjoying this one! :mrgreen:

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:17 am

Just started reading The John Lennon Letters. I couldn't get to it right away so I don't know if I'll finish it before it's due back to the library next week. I don't like to keep their new books out too long, though, so I'll return it on the due date and try to check it out again later.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:10 pm

I just ordered a book of short stories by George Sanders. I saw him on-line in a PBS author's interview and was sold! The title of his book of short stories is: THE TENTH OF DECEMBER. It's supposed to arrive on sat., but tracking shows how it may make it here on Fri. I'm quickly reading on other books, near the ends of, so I can devote attention to my new short story book. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:34 am

(Editing: Found a typo!) :roll:
I just finished THE LONG WALK, about a woman and several men walking from Siberia to India through the Gobi Desert, Tibet, the Himalaya Mountains. Not all of them made it through. A movie was made about this journey, called THE LONG WAY BACK, I believe.

I ordered a Nook Book tonight called: HOUSEHOLD SIMPLICITY: PRACTICAL MINIMALISM AT WORK FOR YOUR HOME, by Faith James. Faith James has a blog, too, which you can "Google" or go to:

http://www.minimalistathome.com

It's a very good site, has a long list of archives on one page, is into decluttering, and I ordered her other book for my Nook called: "LESS MESS, MORE TIME." It's very good! :idea: :!: :D

Happy Reading, Everybody! I just wrote a fan letter to Debbie Macomber tonight. I made my own letterhead, too, to fit the theme of the writer's genre and my address, too. ;) It was a lot of fun. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Harmony, what a list, and Eugenia Price over 700 pages to top it off! lucylee likes her, too.

BookSaver, that's probably a good point about not keeping new books a library JUST spent money on out too long. I noticed our library had purchased 5 copies of The Fast Diet by Michael Mosley, M.D. (he just did the BBC tv special so it's hot right now) and had 55 holds placed on it, had purchased 7 more copies trying to keep up with demand. I don't really need that one because I already own Alternate Day Diet by James Johnson, M.D., which has all the science, and I watched Mosley's program.

I'm now reading The Vitamin D Solution by Michael F. Holick, Ph.D., M.D., 2010. I've read parts from other sources, but never the full book.
Also checked out 20 Years Younger by Bob Greene, 2011

Had seen both of these recently on the shelf at Barnes and N for more than $25 each, so I'm grateful to the library.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:48 am

:D I'm currently, occasionally reading on these 2 books, while I'm reading on others, too.

1- The Fibromyalgia Help Book - Practical Guide to Living Better with Fibromyalgia, by Jenny Fransen, R. N. and I. Jon Russell, M.D., Ph.D. I bought it used from a B 'n N bookseller.

2- Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers - The Acclaimed Guide to Stress, Stress-Related Diseases, and Coping, by Robert M. Sapolsky, who's also the author of A Primate's Memoir.

Both book #1 and #2, listed here, are very good. :D

Dove

Postby Dove » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:33 pm

I recently finished "Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Reilly & it lived up to all the good reviews I have heard/read about it. I'm a history buff, too, so maybe that helped ;) . Very fast paced & well written. Often a chapter would begin with a date, & then he would write about where all the key players were on that date, what they were doing, & how it all contributed to what happened in the end.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 am

I ordered Overcoming Perfectionism, Revised & Updated: Finding the Key to Balance and Self-Acceptance,by M.S. Smith.

Also, DD-41.5 said she's giving me a $30 B n N gift card, too, for Mother's Day. I need to get out, :idea: so it'll be a nice place to go, locally, while we're out and about. :idea: I love books. DH was telling me I get too many books, which has been 2 - 3 about every 6 weeks, lately. He thinks this is bad. :x :roll: :!: I think it could be a lot worst. :roll: :lol: :!: So the gift card for Mother's Day will make ME very happy and it'll make DH roll his eyes. :roll: :lol:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 pm

:?: :?: I'm now trying to figure out what books I want to buy with my $30 B 'n' N gift card. :lol: I have oodles of blank journals, so I won't need that, or perhaps can get 1 or 2 on sale. :idea: I might pick up a book on organizing or a best seller. I love non-fiction, so I think I'll just go, will browse, and get what jumps out at me. Also, I could use bookmarks, too. :idea: I'm sure they must sell stationery there, which is a very good idea for me, because my supply has dwindled down quite a bit over the years. :idea: It'll be fun to go shopping. :D :D DH and I will go together, since he drives because of my eye problems. We also have 3 restaurant gift cards to use, so we'll be able to go out to have lunch together, too. :idea: :D :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:48 pm

The recent book I posted the title on, "Overcoming Perfectionism," is a GR8 book! I can't seem to put it DOWN! :!: :D

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”