What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: What Are You Reading This Year? 2013

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I got a book w/pages yesterday it was on an infomercial a while back but got mine at w mart I have been eyeing this one for a while it was with the stuff in the TV adds.

The title is "who knew? "
Easy solutions to everyday problems.

The chapters on home cleaning holidays and saving $ caught my eye. I do not like the cheap pages or the ink I think it is one I am allergic to , so if you can I would suggest it on the e reader format. Tips that are short
recipe card file type, & would be great for waiting for some one I call those my 'car books' lol!

After talking w dson it dawned on me that I could also use audio book with the e reader app. DUH! LOL Oh the possibilities.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:26 pm

DD wrote me a letter that I received in the mail on Tuesday. She's been finishing reading some books, which she's going to ship to me to have/read. One is, "Why Bad Things Happen to Good People," and one's a more modern story of Bible Job, and the last one, is called "The Messenger," about a new angel to earth, gets something stolen from her so she cannot go back up into heaven. It's about the angel's life and adventures on Earth. They all 3 sound like good reads.

DD lives about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours away, drives a diesel car, so it's cheaper for her to ship books to me, after reading them, than it is for her to drive down and back. She also commutes to work and meetings, church, and dgrson's activities, so it's a good idea :idea: she ships. :D I love to receive her "surprise" ♥ packages. ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:47 pm

I am reading this house of sky.
Great book!
Lib. Called got my copy of happy happy happy by phil robertson of duck dynasty.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:17 pm

I just finished a very great e-book.
It's called: F. I. T. - FITNESS IS TOUGH, by Paul Choy.
I highly recommend it to anyone who needs some good sound advice, motivation, encouragement, and inspiration, if they're trying to be fit and healthy. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:02 pm

I finished a book on self esteem and self confidence written back in the 1980's. It was good. Then I deleted an overabundance of books off my Nook, archived several and kept what I need for work or pleasure. Now I have 45 active books on my Nook, 92 or so, are archived. The rest were deleted because I had had 430 books on my Nook. :!: :roll: :oops: :oops: I love to read, but that's overkill! :!: :roll: :oops: But that's nothing compared to the 913 Nook books I had at one time! :lol: So as you can see, I've been reading and decluttering, both. ;) Now to keep it under control! :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:14 am

What is on your reading wish list?

The library called and I am now reading "Happy Happy Happy"
By Phil Robertson
(The duck dynasty dad. )

I am Really enjoying this one so far! :mrgreen:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:17 pm

I downloaded and read today an e-book called "Resolve to Get Organized & Clean Up Your Act & Your Clutter for the New Year & Next Year." I didn't see an author, but I believe it was from Dawn Publishing. There were 2 books available by the same title and cover; one was Irwin and one was Dawn Publishing, I believe.

Also, I downloaded a free e-book today, which was "A Finny Aletter Mystery - Scavenger Heart," by Yvonne Montgomery. It's a mystery sleuth book.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:30 am

Just finished -- in less than 48 hours' time -- The Sweet By and By, by Todd Johnson.
It's a little bit depressing, b/c it is set in a nursing home in North Carolina -- but the characters are all so wonderful. It is somewhat like The Help, alternating chapters from one character to another. Patients, their nurse, her daughter, and their hairdresser. Sad, especially in my present state of mind, but somehow a little bit comforting, too.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Joining Nancy in reading (along behind HRH) a Robertson book. This one is Si-cology 101 (with the first two numerals crossed out) by Si Robertson. I would recommend it to anyone who first understands Si's place in the Robertson family as the tall tale teller. These are "Babe and the Blue Ox" type stories, myth mixed in with true biography. As you read along, you learn to differentiate between them and learn the truths about Si's life, and perhaps why he tells tall tales. Good discussion of fear, how fears appeared larger-than-life to Si as the youngest boy of a large dare-devil family, affecting his whole life, and the scriptures his mother gave him to deal with it.

Thank you, Cowinkie, for recommending, in June, The 100 by Jorge Cruise, which has been the most helpful weight-loss book I've ever read. I'd started reading then, but life got in the way and I didn't think it was as profoundly different from others as I see it is now.

Now turning my attention to Cruise's earlier full color recipe books again.

Dd is having to read Night by Elie Weisel, which you all may know is a very tragic survivor's account of the holocaust. She keeps bringing passages to me to read, so I feel like I'm reading it, too. Very, very difficult read. Her favorite character died so tragically in the chapter she just read. One of those books of which everyone should be aware, but in my opinion an adult book not for her age group.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:27 pm

I just downloaded "Rose Harbor in Bloom," by Debbie Macomber, which was 15% off for the Nook. I saw the link at our local newspaper, or I'd never had know. I have #1 in the series and can hardly wait for this 2nd series book. :D

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”