Jan Reading 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Jan Reading 2014

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:31 pm

What are you reading?
Wat are your reading goals?
Why do you read to learn, for fun, relaxation?

Ivy

Re: Jan Reading 2014

Postby Ivy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:21 pm

I read for fun, relaxation, to study other writing styles because I write, and to educate myself, laugh and be entertained. Occasionally I'll read to be scared, if it's about ghosts or it's a mystery. I read to feel love, if it's a romance. I read to feel uplifted if it's self-help or an inspirational book.

My reading goals for January are to finish reading these two books:

"Ghost Stories of Washington," by Barbara Smith.
"Break Out!" by Joel Osteen.

I've ordered a new book from a book seller, to be sent from NY on Jan. 2. My b-day's Jan. 15, so I hope the book's here. It's my next good read for Jan. and it's called:

"Chickens in the Road: An Adventure in Ordinary Splendor," by Suzanne McMinn. She also has a blog called "Chickens in the Road," with farm living, recipes, etc.. on it. It's very good. I hope to have this mid-month-arrival book read by Feb. 1, but it'll be a stretch because I get busy. My hopes is that this thread will make me more productive at my reading for the New Year.

Thanks for posting this, Nancy!
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:10 pm

I read for escape and entertainment, relaxation, mostly.

Right now I am reading Mary Poppins, She Wrote -- The Life of P.L. Travers. I just got started on it, so I don't know if it will be any good or not. It has an index, so I've cheated a bit and skimmed the Disney parts already. ;)
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:03 am

I am reading "Break out" By Joel Osteen.
I like to read to learn something, be encouraged or relax it depends on my mood.
I have now had as much time for reading lately.
One goal is to get and read
Storey's Guide to Owning and Raising Chickens. saw it at the feed store.
I read a lot of chicken magizenes h. Reads those too.

With the on line scares about cc fraud that sure has put a hault to e book purchases.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:51 am

I love to read biographies!
I have a book on some local history "Salmon River Memories" Poineers, Characters, and great neighbors by Boyd Rood, I am reading to finish that is one of my goals.

I also have a Debbie Macomber novel about half read of her new series "The Inn at Rose Harbor".

Another book I am reading a hard back who knew?
10,001 Easy Solutions to Everyday Problems by Bruce Lubin & Jeanne Bossolia-Lubin. It has tips and ideas for lots of stuff in this one!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Reading goals: get this one -》
Chickens in the Road: An Adventure in Ordinary Splendor," by Suzanne McMinn.

I have Harvest Moon by Robyn Carr, it is no. 3 in a series so I need to get and read the first one there are at least three in this series.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:42 pm

TBR (to be read )stack.
A place of Quiet Rest by Nancy Leigh De Moss
Enter The Zone (diet book)
Every Day Life in the Wild West By Candy Moulten for writing research
The Richest Cave Man The Doug Batchelor Story
The Threshing Floor by Junita Bynum to donate
Lawless by Diana Palmer

2 coffee table books
Garden Ideas & Projects formthe Birders Garden.

Knitters companion by Vicki Square

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:44 pm

In my (TBR) magazines stack:
1- April & May issues of True Story & True Confessions, to study for work.
2- Costco Connections, to see what they have in the way of books, etc... read articles
3- Prevention Magazine, which I'm slowly reading on to the end.
4- Several issues of Writer's Digest Magazine.
5- To re-read through some Crochet World Magazines.
6- To scare up some old Crochet! Magazines to browse through, too.
7- AARP new magazine and AARP Bulletin newspaper-type magazines
8- Have some old Reminiscence Magazines of DH's to read, too.

Between magazines and books, sometimes deciding what to read next is a "challenge". :roll: :) ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:37 pm

1 goal is accomplished for Jan. reading. I finished "Ghost Stories of Washington," by Barbara Smith. :D
Now I'm reading further on "Break Out!" by Joel Osteen.
I have a book I ordered for my b-day, which I hope to read by Jan. 31 or by Valentine's Day, because I get so busy. It's "Chickens in the Road: An Adventure in Ordinary Splendor," by Suzanne McMinn. :D

Also, need to read that stack of magazines, too. :idea: :!:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:27 pm

As usual, exclusively non-fiction for me - it's just all I like, don't really know why. So I suppose I read to learn.
All 3 of these just came out in the last couple months. All bestsellers, I believe.
Or at least that's one of the reasons they were at good prices at the bookstore.

Although I still haven't finished Making Habits, Breaking Habits by Jeremy Dean, that doesn't bother me because each chapter tends to stand alone. Psychologist studies how long it takes to form habits, how to control habits, how powerful they are, how to recognize a habit you didn't really want and what to do about it.

Have gone ahead and started Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD, FACN, which is just too fascinating to me to put off. Neurologist explains how you can increase the growth of new brain cells at any age. Why you'd better not eat too much grains and sugar if you want an undamaged brain. Healing the brain, avoiding dementia.

On the same bookstore trip, bought The Daniel Plan by Rick Warren, D.Min, Mark Hyman, MD, and Daniel Amen, MD. Doctors and minister explain how a church congregation got healthier together. Idea I liked - you have things to do for God in the future, so let that be your motivation for strengthening your body now.

One more thought -Amazon is getting ready to start charging tax on orders from our state, plus they'd already gone to a tougher shipping prices policy. So in future I'm probably ordering less from them, actually going to the bookstore more. In our community we have a Barnes and Noble and a used bookstore that's good. Library is a quick trip - love finding one that can be sent to my library for me.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”