Feb. Reading 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Feb. Reading 2014

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:24 pm

What are you reading?
Have any books to recomend?
Or ones you did not like?
Reading goals to share?

I am trying to get better use in my e-reader there is a learning curve with it for sure. I am using a free e-Bible this mo. Reading Psalms. Trying to decide if I want the persoal application book of Joel O. In hardback or e-book form.

I have gotten some samples of e ooks and dgd loves peter rabbit on the tablet!

Ivy

Re: Feb. Reading 2014

Postby Ivy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm on chapter 4 of Joel Osteen's book "Break Out!".
I highly recommend it for inspirational reading, which is also meditational.

I will start "Chickens in the Road," by Suzanne McMinn, as soon as I finish Joel O.'s book. I'm trying to do other things, too, so time's limited on reading at the moment. :(

P. S. :D The title of the Job book, from DD is "The Message - Job - Led by Suffering to the Heart of God," by Eugene H. Peterson. It's a 103-page book, written in very short chapters, like in the Bible. It'll be a quick read, but as I meditate on each chapter, it'll take a bit longer, than if I zoomed through it quickly. I want to savor what the author's saying. :idea:

I have several unfinished Debbie Macomber books, but there is one recent non-fiction book she's got out now called "Once Upon a "something" and I can't recall if it's Time or not. :oops: :?: If I make a bargain with myself, to finish reading her books I've started, my reward would be the non-fiction book. :idea: I think, sometimes, we need to dangle a carrot in front of ourselves, in order to be motivated toward a goal. :!:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:07 pm

(copied from PWYC)

I started reading The Inferno by Dan Brown last night. He is an amazing writer, IMHO... Once I get started, it is almost impossible to put his books down. Fascinating (and frustrating!) b/c so many of the things he talks about are true, real places/works of art, etc... but then you know a lot of can't possibly be true... and he is weaving all this conspiracy theory together, which makes you wonder... but I still love to read his stuff. And it is certainly moving faster than the Mary Poppins biography; that's for certain.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Random reading-related stuff that reminded me of our village:

joke dd found:

"A book fell on me yesterday. I guess I have only my shelf to blame."

New nonfiction books I heard about that have to do with things discussed in the village:

The Real Jane Austen: A life led in small things, Paula Byrne

The Missing Ink: The lost art of handwriting, Philip Hensher

Near-nonfiction (mystery-novel style retelling of famous Loomis Fargo armored car heist):

This Dark Road to Mercy, Wiley Cash

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:11 pm

You know, this just made me think -- with the loss of penmanship training in elementary schools -- will handwriting analysis become obsolete also? I don't know how often it is actually used in court or anything like that anyway, but if everyone starts printing, will they still retain/reveal certain personality traits and individualism in their writing, or will it all be too alike to tell?

Of course, I had lots of students who printed most of their work, and some of their printing was easily identifiable. Others, well... their papers could have belonged to any half dozen students in the room. (VERY frustrating when students forgot to put their names on their papers!)
Tomorrow is another day.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:17 am

Lucylee, At Christmastime, we celebrated on Dec. 22, which was Ddil's b-day, too, at their home. We'd given each grandchild, who reads and is in school, Christmas money. I included a hand-written note with each gift. I was so embarrassed when I realized how our 10-year-old dgrson couldn't read long-hand. :!: :oops: I had no "clue" they no longer taught cursive in schools, as a rule now. Even older grsons have stated how they have a hard time understanding long-hand writing. I think how it's becoming normal to have it as a lost art now. It's saddening, too. :( It used to be that high schools used to make sure you knew how to change a tire, write a check, balance a checkbook, and now, I'm beginning to think, why don't they put cursive handwriting on the graduating duties list before a Senior can graduate from school, too. :?: It seems a shame that only oldsters someday will be able to write with this lost art, but when you think how computers, cell phones, text messaging, emails, tablets, etc... are so popular now and almost the norm for many, it makes it more understandable. I seem to receive hand printed letters from a few new pen pals, from time to time, too. At first, I thought it was because it was easier for them to write that way because of their fingers or wrist, but now I'm learning it may be more a reason of they don't know HOW to wrist longhand. It's easy to read hand-printing, so I'm not complaining here, but I feel it's sad how something I learned in grade school's disappearing. :( :shock:

End of my soap box sermon now. :oops:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:29 am

I just made my first ebook purchase application guide to go with I declare by Joel O. The store was out of it so got the ebook! I so happy to get it without having to wait till the next trip to town. There are journal prompts in this one.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:19 pm

I started to read an e-book by Debbie Macomber last night. It's "Once Upon a Time: Discovering Our Forever After Story." It's a non-fiction book about her life, writing, and she talks about her faith, too. If I'm not finished with it by Lent, I'll continue to read it during Lent. However, if I've read it by Lent, I've chosen to read other religious books during Lent. I enjoy reflecting on my faith, during the reading of faith-driven religious books. They make me feel good, emotionally and spiritually, and I learn a lot. :idea:
Last edited by Ivy on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:33 pm

Got Banish Clutter Forever by Sheila Chandra an ebook.
For $1.99. I have looked over some of it, zones are mentioned and some important info. In the back apandexs sp? I broused through a few beginning chapeters. Home office got two chapters, one chapter is the kitchen. So far her assesment is right on the money from where I stand. It is much more fun to read a book like this than much out a room as my friend calls it. actually DO the work! LOL!

Her premise is that things need to have a home.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:15 am

Read excerpts on-line of an author's book, at 3 different sites, liked what I saw, and then watched an interview with him via Oprah's OWN. The author is Don Miguel Ruiz and the book is: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom - A Toltec - The Four Agreements - Wisdom Book. DH got it for me today at the B 'n' N store. I've made a list of books to continue reading on, too, so this reading thing doesn't get out of hand with too many books in, not enough catch-up on reading done. :idea:

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”