March Reading 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Ivy

Re: March Reading 2014

Postby Ivy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:04 pm

Lucylee, I downloaded some e-books on anxiety and panic attacks last night. Many of them sounded Very good. :idea: Now to grab my e-reader and start reading. Hope it doesn't add to anxiety. :oops: But I feel the more we know, the more we "grow" and educating ourselves not only helps us, but it helps others in our lives, too. :idea: Knowledge can be empowering and make us less of a victim to life's ups and downs with those trials that get thrown our way, either our own, or from somebody else. Know what I mean? :?:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:11 pm

I know exactly what you mean, Ivy -- especially "hope it doesn't add to anxiety" -- b/c sometimes, I've had that happen. :roll:
But you are right about knowledge being a good thing. Right now, I'm okay... and I am doing so much better, generally speaking, than I did a few years ago. Still can get those moments though when I start thinking... What will I do IF --- this/that happens... Trying not to project into the future.
Tomorrow is another day.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:37 pm

Lucylee, I sometimes do the "what if" thing, or get overwhelmed-feeling from too much I'm trying to do at once. It just adds to stress and anxiety. :( I find that endorphins from exercise, really help, too. :idea:

It's hard to "live in the moment". DD said to me once, "If you have 1 foot in the past and 1 foot in the future, you pooh on today." She didn't use the "pooh" word, but you get the point. Living in the moment is hard, but when you do it, life can be so much easier-flowing. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:10 pm

I read an e-book today, the title is: PRODUCTIVITY NINJA, by Graham Alcott. It's very good.

Another e-book I've started is TECHNIQUES TO COUNTER COMMON TIME THIEVES, by Sue
Dwan MBA, PCC, CVCG - Dwan & Associates, Ltd.

Both books were offered free for my Nook. :D I'm enjoying them very much. There are good ideas in them both. :idea:

I finished reading an e-book by Florence Whitkop called "WRITING FICTION LIKE A PRO." It was very good. She "sells" several *FREE* e-books at Barnes 'n' Noble, Amazon and Smashwords, too. I thought her book was super, full of great tips for a fiction writer, such as myself. :)

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:52 am

I finished reading all 3 e-books. Now I need to get back into reading actual hardback and paperback books. :idea: I may make a short list or medium list, for good April reads. April will be upon us on Tuesday, so tomorrow, I'll look and prioritize what's the most important, endearing, and interesting reads for me, for April.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:43 pm

I reread WHOSE BODY, the first book in the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery series by Dorothy Sayers. I think it's been at least 20 years since I first read the series. I always find it interesting to reread books after such a long space of time, to see what I notice about the characters and situations depending on what I've learned in the years between.

This weekend I started HEIRS OF THE BODY by Carola Dunn, the latest in the Daisy Dalrymple mysteries. This series is very lighthearted, set in England in the 1920s. Daisy is a writer for a magazine, and a young mother married to a police detective. He keeps trying to keep her out of his murder cases, but somehow she always ends up mixed up in them.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 pm

I am now reading Fanny Flagg's newest book: The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion. I haven't gotten too far into it, but it is starting out very good! I think she is so funny, and of course, all her books take place in small Southern towns much like my own, so her characters are usually pretty familiar, LOL! She is a native-Alabamian, too, you know.

Sycamore Road, by John Grisham, was WONDERFUL!!! Oh my! I could hardly put it down!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”