April Reading & Media 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

April Reading & Media 2014

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:59 am

I am adding media as I do more of that than reading this time of yr.
Got any movies or other media you love -hated?
Books you are enjoying?
I watched jobs enjoyed it.
I am learning a lot and getting a refresher course on fiber prep. Via u tube as well.
I checked out a stack of books on knitting from local library system for inspiration. Got knitting mgs. Too. Love the change in seasonal knitting topics in them.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Re: April Reading & Media 2014

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Some of my reading is for Lent, some out of necessity, and some for pure pleasure.
"Simple Words of Wisdom," by Penelope J. Stokes.
"The Four Agreements," by Don Miguel Riiz.
"Break Out!" by Joel Osteen.
A very thin few books called "The Sweet Side of Suffering," by M. Esther Lovejoy and "Living the Boomer Life for Dummies," by Humana, and "I Have IBS... Now What?!!!!," by Dr. Ashkan Farhadi, MD, MS, FACG.
I'm reading "Starting Now, by Debbie Macomber, hardback, and her e-books called "Rose Harbor in Bloom," "Caroline's Child," and a book about "Once Upon a Time..." a non-fiction book about our own stories, by Macomber, too.
I also would love to start reading "Chickens in the Road," by Suzanne McMinn and "The Secret Life of Bees," by Sue Monk Kidd.

So many books, so little time! :lol:

I've started several of these books, which just need to be finished.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:25 pm

By "media", do you also mean TV, Nancy? :?: We're watching "Dancing with the Stars," for only the 2nd season since it's been on. We watch Drew Carey and the 2 ice skaters. Or else we wouldn't be watching. We watch old movies on Turner Classic Movies, baseball and boxing, CSI and shows, which are entertaining like "About a Boy," and the sit-com about the blind lawyer, written by his real-life son, about how his dad acted like he was not blind. It's very well-written. It reminds me of the type of writing and narration in "Christmas Story." It's true, funny, fresh, and enjoyable. So is "About a Boy." DH watches shows like "Criminal Minds," and "Crisis" and "Resurrection," but I don't watch every solitary minute of them, as I'm more interested in reading, writing, etc... The "creepy" shows are just too creepy for me and "Resurrection" is totally way "out there" confusing, to me, like "Lost" was. I enjoy Alaska shows, HGTV, etc... Sorry if I'm repeating myself. I love music, too.

Are these "Media"-type things, you were referring to? :?:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:05 pm

Media is what ever; tv movies even u-tube. My fav. Shows scandal, grey's anotonmy, doc. Martin I catch am. Idol, And the voice when I can I like to knit and do needle work.
We like alaska shows too just got nat. Geo on our cable network h. Is watching fishing now.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Nancy, We watch fishing on Nat Geo, too. There's 1 fisherman, who travels worldwide and he's always looking for a monster fish. "River Monsters," on Animal Planet is the fishing show. It's 2-hour premier is this evening; it's on now. DH watches "America's Funniest Videos," but I rarely do. People can get hurt because of stupid things they do, personally, don't feel it's funny. :o :( I love to watch my favorite singer, Josh Groban's videos on YouTube. I have 1 YouTube channel where somebody's made a 51-minutes mix of his videos.

About Alaska shows. We watch many. Gold mining, logging, looking for homes, a gun shop, a railroad train, which connects people living off grid, into going into town or for emergencies. I want an Alaska pen pal in the worst way, because I find the life up there, both, fascinating and challenging. I sent for 1 pen pal booklet and another sample issue of Inky Trail News, for pen pals, hoping to find an Alaska pen pal. :idea: :mrgreen:

Would Media also come under the heading of music? I've got 2 concert DVD's of Josh Grobans & 1 concert DVD of Sade. I don't know if DH's XBOX games would be considered Media, for him. :?: He rarely plays. I enjoy YouTube because so many times, there are speeches, by famous people, who have passed away, who talked to university graduation classes. I learn so very much from their wisdom. Yes, Media can be a very educational and entertaining.

I continue reading Joel Osteen's "Break Out!" book. I was meant to read it during Lent. I get very much from it, he's so right on, inspirational, motivating, and intelligent. I love how he talks in parables. He makes learning enjoyable. I'm going to continue to order Osteen's books, in the future, after I've finished some other books, too. :idea:

My next read is "Jane's Melody: A Novel," by Ryan Winfield. He's a romance writer, who writes in the female POV. His next book "Jane's Harmony," is available via pre-order now. If DD or Dson/Ddil give me a B 'n' N gift card, I'll pre-order Winfield's book and get another book by Osteen. I cannot think of any other authors to read, but might enjoy Sue Monk Kidd's latest book, since I've purchased her "Secret Life of Bees," which I need/want to read, too.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:38 am

Yesterday I purchased and downloaded
The Knit Stitch Pattern Hand Book :P
Saved $7 going the ebook route it is 900 pages so would be heavy to hold in traditional book form.

Ivy we have seen that one too monster fish or some thing like a that is in the title.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:16 am

Nancy, Do you get to ever see the world's funniest animals on The Animal Planet Channel, too? The kittens and puppies are so adorable. :lol:

I love Alaska shows and HGTV, too. Right now, DH watches a lot of major league baseball and old movies.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:19 pm

I've been reading all along. I read a bunch of Andrew Greeley's books: Irish Stew, Irish Tweed, Irish Tiger, Irish Linen, Irish Love, Irish Eyes, Irish Mist, The Bishop in the Old Neighborhood, Irish Cream, Golden Years, Second Spring. Found some a little too racey for my taste, but not all of them. Catholic characters from Chicago, all Irish heritage, some in Ireland. Greeley is a Priest, which is surprising given the writing. I've read most of 3 of his series.

I came across an old author by chance at the library and vaguely remembered the name. Edna Ferber. I read Sobig, which she won a Pulitzer Prize for. Of all the older authors I've read, I like her writing. Nice historical fiction. I'm going to read some of her others, all American themes I'm told. I have her book, Giant to read next.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:50 pm

I believe Cimmaron is the name of an Edna Ferber novel, Harmony, which I think my mother recommended to me once. Can't remember if I have read it or not.
Tomorrow is another day.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:44 pm

Ivy ... I watch most of the Alaskan shows as well. I don't watch many network shows. I get bored with most shows. However I do watch Justified and Long Island medium.

Sweetie likes to watch old time movies, new movies and westerns. He really likes justified as well. Mad men starts up again this Sunday. I watched the first few seasons but got bored with last years. Will be interested to see what will happen this season. Longmere is about to begin as well and I enjoy it too.

I also enjoy dateline and those types of shows as well, especially murder mysteries. That should come as no surprise as like Lucylee am a huge perry mason fan. It was one of my all time favorite shows growing up. I still watch it most days. It's my daily indulgent.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”