April Reading & Media 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Ivy

Re: April Reading & Media 2014

Postby Ivy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 pm

Cowinkie, We watched "Mad Men," too. We don't watch the "Dateline" shows, but watch CSI, NCIS, NCIS-LA, and Criminal Minds. There's also a Monday night NBC show at 10 p.m. The Black List? It's good, scary, and we never know what to expect either. :o :o

DH watches "The Vikings," on Thursday nights. It's a bit too bloody for me, as is "Game of Thrones." But I love the reality show "Game of Stones," about men who go into mines or mining towns to purchase or find gems. It's very good.

I used to watch Alfred Hitchcock Presents when I was growing up and read his short stories and watched his movies. I watched Perry Mason, too, but I'm not "into" the show "Elementary" anymore. We watch "Person of Interest." So those are some regular TV series shows we watch.

Right now, DH is watching a lot of major league baseball shows and baseball talk shows. We're watching "Dancing with the Stars," because of Drew Carey and the Olympic Ice Skating champions being on it.

Did anyone watch "The Big Valley," "The Rifleman," or "Bonanza"? I did. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 am

Ferber's Cimmaron and also ShowBoat are at the library. A bunch of her books got turned into movies. We have a wonderful library!

I'm trying to watch less tv these days. I've quit just having it on for background noise. I've been enjoying the absolute quiet in the house when DH isn't here. I have enough chatter in my brain, I don't need more noise. :lol: I do like watching the gold rush shows, though I think they're done for the season now; and I like all the Alaska shows. I can't watch detective shows or anything violent, or even syfy. I think my nerves are shot.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:12 am

Did anyone watch "The Big Valley," "The Rifleman," or "Bonanza"? I did. :D
Yes Ivy we did not a lot of choices back in those days even b&w!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:14 pm

Nancy, We had a black & white TV until my parents divorced, Dmom remarried and got a color TV-Stero-in-one, in 1969. It was so strange to see in color. :!:

Did anybody ever watch "Gun Smoke," "The Lone Ranger," "Lassie," "Leave it to Beaver," "Howdy Doody," "Dennis the Menace," "Bewitched," "That Girl," "The Carol Burnett Show," "The Red Skelton Show," "I Love Lucy," "What's My Line?", or "Peyton Place," too? :?: Dmom and I couldn't get enough of "Peyton Place." :lol: :lol:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:52 am

Yep saw those too.
We watch suns of guns and enjoy Blue Bloods.
I have not had much time for leisure reading this week.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:34 pm

We enjoy Blue Bloods, too!
Did any of you watch "The Mickey Mouse Club," and all the Walt Disney Movies, "Gidget," "The Flying Nun," "Get Smart," "The Munsters," "Car 54, Where Are You?", "Popeye" and my brothers loves "The Three Stooges," but I HATED THEM :twisted: because my 2 little brothers ran around acting just like the 3 stooges did and it drove their big sister crazy! :lol: :roll: And when "The Green Hornet," theme song came on, my brothers would make noise trying to be a horn playing on the theme song, too. Groan. They ran me up the wall. But we ALL loved "DARK SHADOWS!!!!!!" :mrgreen: It was so cool to run home after school and every kid, in elementary and high school (a 4-year- h. s.) on the country prairie ran home to watch it. Then, we were all really good kids, when our parents got home from work and it was dinner time.

It sounds like all we did was watch TV in childhood, but we played outside, I rode my horse, we climbed trees, made forts, listened to the radio, and never-ever had any weight problems. We were so busy. We had rotary wall phones, no cell phones, no computers, no video games, but TV was fun and so was playing outdoors. :D :!: :P 8-)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:56 pm

I like the Vikings too. I have taken Liking to the "Pitbulls and Parolees " show on animal planet. Watching some of the A team now.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:43 am

I just ordered Dr. Oz's The Good Life bi-monthly e-zine on my Nook for May-June. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's interesting. I subscribed to his website newsletter tonight, have his website and blog site up, too, to read articles. :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:11 pm

Got current with tv shows from bbc "Call The Midlife " series now watching a diif. One called "Land Girls".
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 pm

Nancy, I'm not familiar with The Midlife series or one called Land Girls. Are they books or TV shows?

I can't believe how April's getting away from me with so little reading by myself. I've only read some magazines, then have purged them, as part of my decluttering goes. I might write myself a "READING OMM LIST" & read & cross off what I read, for May. I read the church newsletter & 1 of my stories to my shut-in 97.5-year-old friend.

I sometimes put my Nook on its cover, which turns into a stand, up on the eating bar. Then, as I read, I march in place & kick little kicks with my feet, crossing over each ankle & also, out to the sides. Like kick my right leg out to the right. It helps me get in some movement & exercise, yet it helps me read, too. I found that walking around the house, reading a book or Nook e-book, is kind of on the dangerous side & I'm not retaining my information as well as I can at the eating bar, moving, or by sitting. I have only 1 book on tape, so may look into those again. I have a workshop for writers, by a writer on a cassette, too. What types of stores sell cassette books, for Walkmans? B 'n' N store, perhaps? It's something worth looking in to. I can crochet & listen to a book at the same time.

Oh, I forgot: I have a 2-cassette organizing book, too. It's always good to reacquaint myself with the speaker's ideas, although some of them aren't for me. I still learn a lot. :idea:

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”