Reading Media May 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Ivy

Re: Reading Media May 2014

Postby Ivy » Sun May 18, 2014 7:36 pm

We're watching "Mad Men," tonight, as well as the season finale of "Amazing Race." :D :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun May 18, 2014 10:08 pm

Sun. Nite is one of my best tv nites call the midwife is on I look forward to mr. Suffarage I think is the title, & mad men if I can stay awake for it.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed May 21, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 19, 2014 1:50 pm

I finished a wonderful Nook book on Fibromyalgia last night. The author had letters written "to the world" from Fibro sufferers & it was such a lovely well thought-out book. I enjoyed it so Very Much. :)

I started to read a very short e-book on decluttering. I've read it before, it seems to say the same things a lot of books, like this, say.

I'll try to read on "Break Out!" today & my recent purchased e-book on Gastritis info written by a doctor.

I have some "Writer's Digest" Magazines to read through, purge, or pass onto dgson, who is also a writer. I can save them for him, give them to him, when he stays this summer. It's a joy to share the gift & passion of writing with such a prolific writer, such as he.

I subscribed to "Country Living," because there were free gifts included, like a tote & other items, but it's not arrived yet. I've seen this magazine before, several issues, on loan to me in 2004. I was impressed, but never had the opportunity or idea to subscribe until this offer arrived into my mailbox. I'm anxiously awaiting for it to arrive any day now. Also, a free complimentary issue of a magazine I've got a story in should arrive soon. I to read! :!: :P
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed May 21, 2014 12:34 am

Watched "idol", watching "the voice" until one of my celb. fav. Singers is on.

I am on track with my devo reading so that is great.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 22, 2014 12:59 am

We saw the Season Finale of "Dancing with the Stars," & the pair we were hoping would win- DID! :P :P They were on "Good Morning America," today, too.

Oh, my! It's nearly 10 p.m., I need to run to do my peak flow meter, QVAR, & floss. I didn't know it was this late. I just barely glanced over at the clock. :shock:

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu May 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Just finished Gone Girl. I was not very pleased with the ending. Let's say I was, in fact, very DISPLEASED w/the ending. I may read some more of her books, b/c the plot was so fascinating... but ugh. The ending. Yuck.
Tomorrow is another day.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 pm

I WAS going to order "Gone Girl," until I read Lucylee's reaction to the ending. So I ordered "The Closer," by retired Yankee's pitcher, Mariano Rivera with Wayne Coffee. It's for DH. He wasn't happy about getting a book to read, but he's happy NOW that he knows what it is. :D

I also ordered Sue Monk Kidd's "The Invention of Wings." The description at Barnes 'n' Noble sounds so GOOD! It sounds very interesting and historical. :D

DH is watching the Mariners now. "Life Below Zero," comes on tonight, which is about Alaska living off the grid. It's on the cable channel called National Geographic. It's on at 9 p.m. AND a repeat is on at 11 p.m. I checked the Nat Geo site, the season's finale is June 19. Some of the episodes are exciting! :!: Correction: They're ALL exciting. Sue goes on the search of fresh water, needs to fix her wood-burning stove, because of the dip in temps. Sue's all alone, throughout the winter, but when the workers come to her camp, where she lives, to work on their jobs, she cooks for them, to earn money. Then, she finally gets to talk to real live people. In the winter months, human contact is few & far between. And when they leave, she'll shed tears, because she knows how remote & solitary she is. I call her "My Macho Mama!" :P I just love her. She nearly got killed by a grizzly bear once, too. :shock: It's a GR8 show, if you like adventure. :idea:

DH is looking at the cable TV menu now, for something else to watch tonight (Thursday). I'm waiting for him to tell me what he's picked out. :lol: Nothing. We're going to watching Showtime's boxing matches from 10 p.m. - midnight. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've been a boxing fan since Ddad adopted me at 18-months of age. :lol: DH is 72.5 now, so one day I told him, "I started out watching boxing as a toddler with an OLD MAN & here I am, over 60 years later, still watching boxing with an OLD MAN!" :lol: (I'm teasing. He does NOT look his age at ALL!) :)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri May 23, 2014 9:02 am

Watched the movie Diana on net flicks. Made me wonder why she did some things like call the press strange.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat May 24, 2014 7:05 pm

DH is watching a LOT of war documentaries & war movies now that it's Memorial Day Weekend.

Our books may arrive before Thurs. the 29th, because they're in OR now & we're in W. WA State. I hope they come soon. I can hardly wait. That will be it for book purchases for awhile because I have an August book coming, which has been pre-ordered. Between DD loaning me her books, my Nook purchases & regular book purchases, I'm not hurting for reading material at all. I have a good library of books. :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun May 25, 2014 1:02 am

On PBS this evening, they had the National Geographic Geography Bee with young people competing. It was Very good. 1 boy won $10,000, 1 boy won $25,000, I believe, :?: and 1 boy won $50,000 with a lifetime membership in the National Geographic Society & a trip for 2 to the Galopolus Island. Those young people were incredibly bright! :!: It was so nice to be able to see it. We like stuff like this. :) :)

I heard a TV ad that "America's Got Talent!" is coming back to the prime-time TV slot, so we're excited about that at OUR house! :P :P

Tonight, "Mad Men," is on at 7 p.m. and at 8 - 9:30 p.m. the Memorial Day Celebration with Gary Senise as host, along with others co-hosting, will be on PBS tonight. It's a very well-done show, it's wonderful how they salute our heroes. ♥

After that, for us, we've not decided, for sure, but I have 3 letters to write, crochet & a short story to do. :idea:

The books I ordered from B 'n' N may be here on Tuesday the 27th. :!: I'm trying to finish Joel Osteen's "Break Out!" first, but it's just not getting done. :oops: :o I'm so busy with other things, but since I read 1 chapter at a time, it's sort of like a devotional book, since his book's inspirational.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”