Reading Media May 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Reading Media May 2014

Postby Nancy » Sun May 11, 2014 9:27 am

Just finished watching "wild photo adventure" on pbs hi def ch.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Watched a re-broadcast of "Game of Thrones," at 2 a.m. this a.m., during a rough night. It was On Demand. DH missed the regular airing.

DD gave me a very small book, about 2" x 2" x 1/2" called "In Praise of Grandmothers - An ageless treasury of quotations."

I ordered the animation DVD "Frozen," with a B 'n N gift card from DD & Helen Steiner Rice's for Each new Day 2015 Planner. I have her 2014 one, which is so lovely. At work, we work into March of 2015, so I need a future planner for working ahead.

Dson/Ddil gave me a Nook Book gift card for Mother's Day. I downloaded two books I've seen advertised in several places. One is "Natchez Burning," by Greg Iles and one is "Everybody's Got Something," by Robin Roberts. I'm very happy with my choices & can hardly wait to see "Frozen." ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed May 14, 2014 12:18 am

Reading Gone Girl now -- just got started in it so can't really make recommendation yet. It's been on the bestseller lists forever seems like. Just came out in paperback.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed May 14, 2014 12:31 am

I have been watching a lot of Middle Ages Knight In shining armor movies "Arn" was the lastest one. I liked it. It is a challenge to wrap my brain around that time frame.
I saw a show on History Channel today about da Vinci very interesting.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed May 14, 2014 2:33 pm

We watched a cute show about cats on The Animal Planet Channel the other day. They were doing comical things. After that, DH was doing something else, so I got to watch a cat behavioral counselor help owners with their cats who had emotional problems. I saw 1 show for 1/2 hour, but DH came back, he didn't care for it & flipped the channel on me. :roll: Then, we saw that show about monster fish, which was great, on the same channel. Wow. There are some dangerous & damaging to humans fish out in the world's waters. :shock:

Saw Dancing with the Stars, didn't agree how Charlie had gotten voted off, since he'd had perfect scores twice, recently. :evil: :twisted: We only watch the show when someone interesting to us is on, which was Drew Carey. Now we're rooting for the woman Olympian ice skater, who is Charlie's skating partner in real life.

DH saw the season finale of "The Black List," but I went to bed at 10 p.m. that night. I wasn't interested in all the shoot 'em up drama before relaxing to go to sleep. :!:

I'm awaiting the DVD "Frozen" to arrive. She's in Louisville, Kentucky as of 8:59 p.m. Tues. the 13th. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 15, 2014 1:13 am

Downloaded some free e-books & a book by a Dr. on gastritis, for personal research & tips. :idea:

Saw "Criminal Minds," season closure. I rarely watch that show, as it's a bit on the bloody/gory side for me in the evenings, when I'm winding down toward a relaxing bedtime & good sleep.

DH is watching a new show now, on cable, called "Kodiak." They're hunting bears, surviving in the wilderness, etc....

I missed a few morning shows today, because of stacking wood, but hope to catch up on them tomorrow a.m. :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 15, 2014 2:17 pm

I paid for an e-book written by a Dr. on gastritis so I could learn more.

Also, I got some interesting free e-books of romances of Western era & pioneer time. Dunno why I did, but I was ready to read something from the olden days.

I also got a free e-book on decluttering, which looks like it might be a good one, too.

I love my Nook. I don't read it often enough, but thought :idea: while DH is watching crime-drama shows at 9 - 11 p.m., I can sit in the recliner, read on my Nook, to "tune out" the grizzly parts of TV shows. :!: Then, I'll have made time for "me" & I'll get my Nook reading done, too. While the dgrsons are here this summer, I'll read my Nook while they're doing the XBOX & DVD's in the evening, too. Some have laptops to bring, too, & those smart phone thingies. :lol: DH & I still use the old-fashioned flip phone. :lol: We have no "clue" how those iphones- or whatever they're called- work. My mind is boggled with dgrsons show me how they work, too. :shock:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu May 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Watched "the black list" finale had not seen any if the reg. Season shows but I was surprised how we could follow it any way.

Watching u-tubes on various knit and crochet patterns I wanted to learn. Crochet I cord was one. Another lovers knot stitch or Solomn's knot. Knitting ones too.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat May 17, 2014 11:27 pm

I watched the DVD "Frozen," today, with DH & now he's got on a cable movie animation called "Despicable Me." :lol:

I plan on reading my Nook e-reader this evening, but may need to wait until the animation's over, since it's such a nutty little show. It might be difficult to concentrate on reading. :lol: :idea:

DH watched "About a Boy," and "Growing Up Fisher." They're on on Tuesday nights starting at 9:30 p.m., but they're not on next week, because the finals of "The Voice," will be on.

We're looking forward to 2 summer shows coming on: "America's Got Talent," & "So You Think You Can Dance?" They're both very good. We're blown away by the talent.

Oh, DH just looked at the TV menu & it looks like "Growing Up Fisher," about a blind dad, has been dropped. :roll: :o :( It was such a cute little show, too. I hate it when they take good family entertainment off TV. :twisted:

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun May 18, 2014 1:08 am

Gone Girl is REALLY getting good now. I cannot put it down!!!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”