Reading Media May 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Reading Media May 2014

Postby Nancy » Thu May 01, 2014 9:57 am

What are you reading watching hearing on other media?

Ivy

Re: Reading Media May 2014

Postby Ivy » Fri May 02, 2014 12:08 am

DH and I are watching "Dancing with the Stars," because Drew Carey was in it, but we then got "hooked on" to the Olympic pairs ice skaters, want 1 of them to win, but are uncertain if it'll be the guy or girl or somebody out of left field! It's so exciting! :!: Also, we're watching "Mad Men," which I cannot get enough of, hate that this year's their last, too, and DH watches "Game of Thrones," which I can't watch 100% of the time because of its bloodiness. We watch an Alaska show, on the National Geographic Channel called "Life Below Zero." It's wonderful about living off grid, hunting, fishing, sled dogging, etc.... :D :D

As far as reading goes, I need to finish "Break Out!," by Joel Osteen, "The Four Agreements," by Ruiz, and "Starting Now," & "Rose Harbor in Bloom," by Debbie Macomber. I've read 1 chapter on Ryan Winfield's "Jane's Melody: A Novel," and pre-ordered the sequel called "Jane's Harmony," due out on August 5. Our adult kids usually give me a gift card to Barnes 'n' Nobel, so if they do or if 1 of them does, I want to order Sue Monk Kidd's "The Invention of Wings." I have her "The Secret Life of Bees," which I've not even started. I also have "Chickens in the Road," to start yet. As Spring and Summer move on, get here, it's harder for me to read. I need to buckle down to treat myself to these good reads. :idea: :mrgreen:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri May 02, 2014 9:49 am

I like to watch "The Dessert Speaks" on PBS in the morning on one of the hi def. Bigger number channels we have on the new tv that I could not get on the old one.

Went to bed early did not watch nite shows.

Reading Enough finding more while living with less by Will Davis Jr. e-book my devo. This mo.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed May 07, 2014 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri May 02, 2014 11:31 pm

We enjoy "Hawaii 5-Oh" & "Blue Bloods" on Friday nights.

We watch a lot of MLB & their sports shows, too.

I downloaded a book, from B 'n' N free Friday book blog on "The Normans: From Raiders to Kings," which is about Vikings. It sounded good & since "Vikings," series is over, I thought I'd read about them during their hiatus.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 05, 2014 11:37 pm

I started reading a 4" x 4" x 1/2" square devotional book with larger print, quotes, Bible Verses, etc.. in it. Of course, with the book being small with larger print, it's a fast read, but I try to only read 3 pages a day, to savor it, so I don't rush through it too fast.

I've got a new novel to read, but it's difficult, emotionally, because it's about an A. A. member who has a sponsor and her DD died of a drug overdose. I made it through the 1st chapter (whew!), but decided to read Joel Osteen's "Break Out!" first, before I read the emotionally charged novel. I find "Break Out!" to be very motivating & inspirational for me. I feel uplifted when I read each chapter. I can't actually put it into words, how it exactly makes me feel, but it's almost as though he holds me up & I feel as though I could fly around the moon & back. :!: He's such a good writer, I love how he almost talks in parables, when he explains things with his stories of his experiences with his own life, his family & wife, church members, & friends, too. He's 1 author, who I want to be sure to read again & his book's a book to hang onto for a good re-read, too. :idea:

My DD & DSON/DDIL usually give me a B 'n' N gift card, each, for Mother's Day. I realize this could change this year, too. But I've been thinking about books, in case I DO get the gift card for books. Sue Monk Kidd's "Invention of Wings," is tempting & so is the new book by Emily Giffin called "The One & Only." An autographed copy of her book is available for the same price as the non-autographed one, too. If I order it, I'll get the autographed one. If there's money left, I may buy a book by Joel Olsteen again. But on Mother's Day, often times Mother's are "surprised" by their gifts. I sometimes get a DVD from DD & something handmade or a Joann's gift card from DSON/DDIL. It's exciting. I love to read, if I get a Joann's gift card, I may purchase a crochet book. :idea:

I finally sat down long enough to watch all of "Game of Thrones," last night. It was Very Good. :!: I enjoyed it so very much, with DH, as he told me who was who & what was what. Now I'll be certain to not miss an episode. DH said there are 5 - 6 episodes left. There are only 3 episodes left of "Mad Men," too. It's a bit "racy," for me, sometimes. :oops: :o

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue May 06, 2014 10:32 am

Well drat I fell asleep and missed the end of the 24 movie last night.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:39 pm

We enjoyed "Dancing With The Stars," & "The Black List," last night.

Found out from DDIL, they've made me handmade gifts for Mother's Day; a lot of cool things, she says. So no B 'n' N gift card there. Maybe from DD? If not, oh well.... I'll be able to catch up on what reading books I DO have here to read. :idea: The gifts from the heart, no matter what they are, are what's important, too. It's not "what" a Mother receives on Mother's Day, which I feel is selfish, but it's getting TOGETHER with family, adult kids and grandchildren, to celebrate, which is important.

I'll try to finish "Break Out!" this month. :idea: :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat May 10, 2014 1:33 am

:idea: I read through 2 women's magazines this evening. I saw a book club page listing books and prices. I went to B 'n' N on-line, to do comparison shopping & was quite surprised :o at the better prices at B 'n' N v. s. in the magazine listing the in-store prices. :idea: I'm also glad how I read an article on anger, got another book title, "Anger Management for Dummies," for $16.22, but then there was "Managing Anger with CBT for Dummies," for $11.69. The CBT one is the one I'd aim for because my therapist is a CBT therapist, I've seen her for years, so this book makes more sense for me & it's cheaper! :!: :D

I guess it pays to shop around, do comparison pricing, & searching for the best deal. :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 10, 2014 10:25 am

I was able to stay awake for the new episode of "blue bloods" last night.

I am on the last season of a series I am watching on net flicks.

Waiting on a gardening show to come on in a few min. "Growing a Greener World".

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 pm

I've just finished reading How The Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill. It was interesting to see how Roman history tied into Irish history.

I have a couple more books on my Kindle of Irish history to read also, so I'll start one of those next.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”