Reading & Media for June, 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Ivy

Re: Reading & Media for June, 2014

Postby Ivy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:26 pm

I just wanted to post that in The 50 Greatest Love Letters of All Time , there are homosexual letters between men and men and women and women, too, included, by famous artists, poets, and writers of history. Yes, it's a bit shocking to see them in the book with hetero letters, but they were very beautiful and expressive. I just wanted to let you all know this, in case you wanted to read the book. I wanted to forewarn you of some of the letters.

Booksaver , Your library sounds absolutely awesome! :!:

Harriet , I was disappointed in "Prevention," but I sent in a renewal card, but the magazine didn't come. I decided it was silly to get involved with it, since it didn't seem quite up to par as much as Dr. Oz's "The Good Life," magazine was/is. :idea:

[color=#40FF40][color=#40FF40][color=#000080]I just ordered a Nook Book from B 'n' N, which has also 1 paperback in the same book, so if you wanted to read it, you can get it used there or go to another book site or your library. It sounded like the perfect book for me. It's called: "Clutter and Declutter: The Everyday Guide on How to Declutter: Your Home, Life, Finances and Marriage Revealed,", by Anna Gracey. It had a 5-Star rating, which is the highest, too. :D It was $1.99, too. Plus taxes, where applicable, are added.

I'm going to embark on reading this Nook Book and trying to start and finish "The Egg and I," by Betty MacDonald, before Father's Day, so I can return it to DD along with her love letters book. It saves shipping them home to her in a mailer, which saves on gas running them up there or her coming down. She'll be here on Father's Day. :idea: :!: :P
[/color][/color][/color]
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:37 am

Watched Yanni & Celtic Thunder. Sad to learn of death of the leader George Donalson the only Scott of the group. Had a heart attack was only 46 :o so young.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks for reminder about The Good Life. If I subscribe to a health magazine again, that's probably the one I should choose.

I glanced at dd's required nonfiction book for biology, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, 2011 NYTimes bestseller. I found it so compelling to read about this poor woman, that I couldn't put it down.

Anyway, warning - SO sobering :( and despairing :cry: and sometimes frightening. Every-other-chapter is the tragic story of Henrietta and her children/family. The others are about what's happening at the same time with the medical/scientific/legal whirlwind that grew up around her unusual cells, which were taken without her knowledge as she was dying in the hospital in 1951, and from her corpse just after death. They were grown into the billions - making them "immortal" - and sold all over the world thousands of times. The poverty-stricken family was horrified to find out decades later. It explains a lot about the very best-known (and profitable) medical advances we never knew were made using Henrietta's (stolen?) cells. Also how negligence in taking care of the powerful cells ruined lots of other research all over the world by contamination.

However, one reviewer compared it to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and called it "graceful", with which I would agree.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Wow! I think that's one book for me to avoid. I cannot get my "Font colour" nor my "Smilies" to work here. I wonder why? Oh,well. Perhaps it's just a glitch.

I'm going to read on a declutter Nook Book and The Egg & I today/this week.

Inside my "Woman's Day," Magazine today, they had a Dr. Oz subscription postcard made out in my name. I filled in Bill me later, will mail it tomorrow. It was $15 for a year. The e-magazine, by the same title was so good, but technical to read and get the hang of it.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:52 pm

I charged $70 worth on books, being paperback, hardbound or e-books, in May, I'm horrified, :shock: :oops: had NO IDEA how quickly purchases like this added up on me! Decided to read my new books, old books re-read, and read DD's books on loan, & get free books instead.

Also, I get free books from a ministry, so there you go- more books! I've purchased some from them in the past, too, which are good quality, have pure thoughts, beautiful words, and I feel good after I read them.

I'm not hurting for reading books. I need to pull in the belt, limit my book-buying, so perhaps throughout the summer months, I'll get this under control. There is a free gift card book coming in July, which is a day planner for 2015,for work and another book comes, pre-ordered a few months ago, in August. Those will be all I'll do for quite awhile now. I'm glad I added the total up, because it's embarrassing how out-of-hand the book-spending had gotten. :oops: :oops: :( :(

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:43 pm

I watched a good movie today called "Enough Said," starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James something, who was the heavier set "Sopranos'" star who suddenly died after this movie was done. It was a light romantic movie, very good, enjoyable, which made me laugh and remember how I felt when my first-born embarked out into the world, permanently. It brought up good memories, the film was adorable, and the acting was great. :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:46 pm

The free B 'n' N book blog Nook for free download today (on Fridays) was "Night Swim," a national bestseller. I'm going to read on "Break Out!" today for some inspiration and motivation. Joel Osteen's a very "UP" author. His stories are happy to read and his lessons are so nice, which he tells about through his examples. I also want to get going on "The Egg & I," by Betty MacDonald. I "heard" she's a homemaker in WA State, with hens, but I'm not sure if that's true or not, until I read the book. It might have been a rumor, which was false. It's be just TOO COOL is she was from WA State! 8-) :P

Do any of you watch golfing tournaments? :?: We do. We enjoy Phil Mickelson and amateur unknowns and those who haven't won in a long, long time. We root for them. The greens are so gorgeous. :D We'll be watching them through Sunday, on and off during Mariners baseball and Nascar. I guess I live with a sports nut and it's rubbed off on me for 43.5 years. ;)

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:22 pm

[color=#800000]On Father's Day, DD is supposed to return my books on Fibromyalgia, so I hope she'll remember. She usually does. I'll re-read on them, too, to re-familiarize myself with how to live a proactive life, despite this syndrome.

I'm looking forward to reading this week and the rest of the month.

Right now, I'm reading on poet's and writing magazines. I have Weight Watchers and AARP Bulletins to read, too. I'm trying to declutter on magazines, by reading them and cut out recipes and comics, etc... for pen pals. Reading is such a good thing. :!: :D
[/color]

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi! :D I'm currently reading a book I need to, for work, called: "A FEW, CHOICE WORDS - SHORT, "DO-ABLE" WRITING THAT SELLS," by Sandra Miller-Louden (As seen on NBC-TV. It's about writing for greeting card companies.

I continue to read magazines that come in, some for work, on writing, & on health, etc....

I love to read, am thankful my eyesight's not worsening at a fast rate; I'm fortunate my eyes are progressing slowly, which makes reading so rewarding. I'm so lucky to be able to read the written word, which I love. :)

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm finished with Joel Osteen's book "Break Out!" & will donate it along w/2 CD-set of his.

I'm currently reading: "WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY - WORDS OF CARING FOR ALL OCCASIONS," by Discovery House Publishers.

Also, DH would love for me to write a memoir, so would some friends & our grasons, so I'm reading: "[u]WRITING YOUR LIFE - PUTTING YOUR PAST ON PAPER,[/u] by Lou Willet Stanke, PH.D. who also wrote : "SO YOU WANT TO WRITE A NOVEL."

Lastly, for fun- ;) - I'm reading: THE EGG & I, by Betty MacDonald.

I have an e-book on slowing down writing your prose (for cards, in my case) & another e-book on writing memoirs, not procrastinating on them & finally getting them done. :mrgreen:

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”