Reading & Media for July, 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
FelineFriend

Reading & Media for July, 2014

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:04 am

:D DH is pretty "hooked" on "America's Got Talent" and Major League Baseball in the summers. We also enjoy "Life Below Zero," but it's last episode is coming up this week. :(

On July 19, I believe, The Hallmark Channel shows Debbie Macomber's "Cedar Cove," series. It's relaxing to view, the characters are vivid and extremely close to the book characters, too. It's a good "see".

I listen to a lot of music on cable TV and concerts, on TV, too, as well as concert DVD's. :D

I read magazines, too, especially the ones I'm in with fellow co-writers in my group. :D

Currently, I'm reading e-books on stress management and they're extremely helpful, too. :idea:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Reading & Media for July, 2014

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:07 pm

Watched last half of world cup yesterday with the USA in it. Longmire, Top Gear, Covert affairs this week can't wait till Hell On Wheels is on Sat. night.

Knitting mag. Is out for a reward after the next chore round.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:11 pm

Nancy, What is "Hell on Wheels"? Is a Cable TV show about biker guys? :?:

DH watched the Mariners baseball game. He watched the news, and now he's watching boxing matches.

Later tonight, on Fox's network, they'll have "So You Think You Can Dance?" competition from 8 - 10 p.m. Pacific Time. Male and female dancers compete and the best man and woman, out of the top 20, will win. I forget what the prize is. LOL! I don't remember if it's monetary AND a dancing contract or what. Guess I'm getting too old to remember from one season to the next. :oops:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:49 am

Hell on Wheels is an American Western television series about the construction of the First Transcontinental Railroad across the United States. Wikipedia
& settling the West. Is on A & E I think, we have expanded basic cable.

Tonight watching Joyce Meyer.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:40 am

I had to set Monuments Men aside briefly to do some research for LEGO Club at the library. I found what I was looking for in The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide by Allan Bedford. Good tips from an expert builder.

Even more helpful, though, is that he included what he calls his Brickopedia, a photo and description for each type of LEGO element including the official name. Now I don't have to make up my own names to put on the storage bins that I'm labeling. And I'll know where some of the really weird-looking shapes are used. :)

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:32 pm

I ordered a book called "[i]Freelance Writing for Greeting Card Companies: 2nd Edition, by Patrisha Stauss M. A.[/i] and I ordered a July/Aug. 2014 issue of "Poetry," Magazine. It has poets inside the issue pages by the Poetry Magazine's Poetry Foundation, too. My book will be here about July 11 and the Magazine arrives in 2 - 3 weeks. (I'm trying to expand or retreat back into the poetry world, submit poem and greeting card prose and poems.) :idea:

DH is watching "Sargent York," on Turner Classic Movies tonight. Later, we'll watch something, but don't know yet and the fireworks come on roughly at 10 or 10:30 p.m. :D :D

indy

Postby indy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:12 pm

I keep one or two daily devotional type reading books going. There are poetry books as well on the bedside table for short dips when I'm just not ready to fall asleep. Then there are stacks on the endtable by the chaise in the bedroom -- novels -- a bookcase full of books most of which are read but are keepers -- and books on the top of the lowboy facing the chaise -- most of which are inspriational or similar types -- some that are NOT yet read and others that are there to revisit. The current reading is on the stand by my armchair in the family room though -- at the moment Drood is taunting me -- I've begun it twice and it languishes -- it isn't the SIZE because I polished off several nearly that big in the same time frame -- so it will have to wait till the mood is right I guess. The others are a quick dip type short pieces of commentary/philosophy and a Russian novel (Notes from Underground) and a second novel Rosemary and Soda Bread.Films I largely re-view ones I purchase or purchase ones I know I'll want to see mulitple times. Rarely go to a theater -- do not have cable nor do we do Netflix. TV is the standard whatever is available HD with the few sub-channels offered -- I watch two pograms regularly in the season -- PArenthood and Once Upon A Time. That's it around here.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:54 pm

I got a new knitting book that I have had my eye on
" Iris Shreiers Reverzsible Knits ".
There is another one on sock knitting I have been drooling over as well.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:37 pm

I'm currently reading "The Notebook," by Nicolas Sparks. I'm near the end of the very l-o-n-g chapter one. I have 2 pages to go, then embark onto another chapter.

I finished reading 3 e-books on stress, which were very helpful, too. :D

I keep magazines for writers and poets in my basket of reading materials on my end table, along with devotionals and religious books. :D I also have a short stack of books I'm currently reading or am "going-to" read. :idea:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:58 pm

Currently, I'm reading: "Freelance Writing for Greeting Card Companies," by Patrisha Stauss, M. A. It's the 2nd edition. Also, I'm slowly reading a new-to-me sample copy magazine called: "Poetry". It has 388 pages in it, so it may take me awhile to be able to complete it, but it's great pick-up reading for the summer months. When I'm finished with it, I'll put it into my bookshelves, to re-read when I'm in the "poetry mood," again. :idea:

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”