Aug. 2014 Reading / Media

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
FelineFriend

Re: Aug. 2014 Reading / Media

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:43 pm

I got a free e-book by Robyn Carr called Sheltering Hearts.

I also got another free e-book called "Larger Than Life - A Novella," bu Jodi Picoult. She's a #1 NY Times Bestselling Author.

I got "The Gift of a Good Start," by Earl Sewell. There is a photo of a locker, open with a pink bow hanging in the locker. I'm assuming, since it's a Harlequin Novel, it's a romance about school or teachers. We'll "see."

I also have a free e-book called 101 Everyday Power Tips For Preventing (And Treating) Headaches - Your Torturous Headache Pain Can Be Stopped, With Simple But Very Effective Strategies And Without Resorting to Drugs!", by George Pluss. DD and DCousin-in-Law get migraines, I've had very few, but wanted to learn more for dfamily. I get stress headaches and headaches from preservatives, sometimes. I thought the book would help me and others, at the same time. :idea:

I got a Christmas e-book collection, for free, called Harlequin Holiday Collection - Four Classic Seasonal Novellas, by Debra Webb, Merline Lovelace, Marta Perry, and Leslie Kelly.

I'm reading Debbie Macomber's "Once Upon a Time," and it's very, very good. I enjoy how she refers to her own life, to literature she's read and learned from and the Holy Bible, too. I can't say enough good words about it. It's a wonderful read. So was her book "One Perfect Word," which is also non-fiction. She picks out a word, each year, to focus on, daily. She comes across the word, everywhere, in daily life, because she believes it's God's destiny for her. I picked a word for 2013, in Jan. and it helped me so much. However, I failed or forgot to pick a word for this year..... HOWEVER, I did pick out a word tonight! CALM.... :D It'll help w/anxiety, breathing, exercise, emotions and more. :idea: :D
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:20 am

After too much net flicks trying to get to on the end of a series before they took it off today I need to re-focus to get centered. Going to do a search for book need a time limit on it how ever. I have some music on now.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Debbie Macomber's "Love Letters," arrived today. YIPPEE!!!! :!: :P 8-) :mrgreen:

I listen to Easy Listening Music or Light Classical Music, when I listen to it on Cable TV. In the office, I listen to a classical FM radio station from the college. In the bunny room, my 5-disk CD changer plays Josh Groban, religious music, guided imagery CD's for FM, weight loss, anxiety, etc... I sometimes play The Dixie Chicks, Shania Twain, George Winston, Andre Bocelli, Carly Simon, oldies, religious, Irish, Monks singing, Celtic music, and so much of a variety, with jazz, too.

I love TV shows from Alaska, on cable, which are reality TV shows, as they teach so much about an entirely different off-grid culture. I find it fascinating. I enjoy shows on digging gems/rocks, survival, documentaries, mystery-suspense, light romance, which is CLEAN, and variety shows, like "America's Got Talent."

I enjoy Debbie Macomber's "Cedar Cove," series on the Hallmark Channel, on Saturdays at 5 p.m. AND 8 p.m. (I watch at 8 p.m.) We're too busy with sports or the news, at 5 p.m.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:44 pm

After attending an outdoor garden dinner party for 2.5 hours, I was tired, and didn't want/need to watch "Cedar Cove," tonight at 8 - 9 p.m. I wasn't in the "mood". :?: I don't know why.

The library system's center called me today. They told me how to download free e-books onto my Nook Color. They also said they're sending me a form, because I asked, for the little-known mail books order, requests to come to my mailbox. It saves on gas $$, to and from the library, it saves on paying for book $$, to purchase new books to read once or twice, then what? Clutter on the bookcase, on shelves, in baskets, on coffee tables, inside cabinets, and you run out of room. So the library way, will be a nice way to do this. I'm so happy about this new turn of events. :D

Today, I downloaded some free Amish e-books for my Nook Color because a new pen pal has mentioned to me she reads mostly Amish books. :idea: I thought, if I did, too, she and I could discuss them back and forth in our letters. :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:43 am

I got 3 books yesterday went to two libraries.
"Atomic farmgirl" by Teri Hein excellent about local history.

"Sunburned Country" By bill Bryson who also wrote walk across america. I have not read these.

"The knitting Circle" a novel by Ann Hood. Have not started it. The mom takes up knitting to get over grief not expecting nuch but you never know.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:25 pm

The knitting Circle book by Ann Hood sounds exceptionally good, to me, Nancy. I enjoy stories or books when they put knitting, crochet or quilting in them. It seems to bring them to LIFE! They're so interesting and flavored with reality, especially for creative readers, too. :idea:

Does anyone else listen to music, while they read? Or the radio or TV? I can't seem to comprehend as well, when it's total silence. Music is lovely to read by.

If DH has a football game on, I can't absorb my reading at all. I don't "understand" football, when they blow the whistle, and have good plays, DH acts as though he's IN the play, with his cheering, laughing, and saying things like "Good!" "Go, man!" and stuff. My mind and heart are rolling there eyes, like this guy: :arrow: :roll: I can't stand it, so I remove myself from the situation, go into the bunny room or the bedroom and close the door. I do fine when baseball, racing or golfing is on though. :?:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:57 am

I turn off the tv & noise to read also. But not to write.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:36 am

I read a digital library book on my laptop. It's by Debbie Macomber and it was called "Blossom Street Brides," and each chapter started with a quote from a famous knitter or knitter-author, etc... It was such a good book, about a yarn shop and people who go their to sit and knit, visit and their lives. Debbie Macomber knits and owns a real-life yarn shop in Port Orchard, where she lives, which is what Cedar Cove books are based on. She's writing her non-fiction, using a pretend name for her Port Orchard town and makes up the characters, too. I enjoyed the references to knitting and the quotes. There was a knitting pattern for a baby's hat with a tail at the very end, too. It was a wonderful book because I LAUGHED :lol: AND I cried! :cry: It was a great evening well-spent. :mrgreen:

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:29 pm

Natchez Burning: A Novel (Penn Cage) by Greg Iles

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I am a Greg Iles fan and have been waiting five years for his book. Iles was in a terrible car accident and at one point I was afraid he would never write again...

This is sort of a "Gone with the Wind" reading experience because once you start reading it, the book is not going to be easy to put down. I started it Friday night and read through most of the weekend.

The bad news is it 800 pages...however it is a powerful read. The good news is this is a trilogy so there's more to come in the story. I've left the reviews below for you to read. I can't say too much about the story because I don't want to give anything away, especially the ending.

If you're looking to read a book with great writing and strong characters along with a great setting, this is for you. Based on historical facts Iles will take you on an unforgetable journey that will leaving you wanting more.

http://www.amazon.com/Natchez-Burning-N ... merReviews
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:20 pm

It sounds interesting, RR. :)

I put "The Shop on Blossom Street," on my e-bookshelf at the library, by Debbie Macomber, which is in the Blossom Street Series about the yarn shop in Seattle. I'll be notified within 4 days, when it's available for download and reading on my laptop.

I found out that I can view Debbie Macomber's Hallmark HD Cable-TV series On Demand on Comcast Cable, anytime I want to, if I miss an episode or don't feel like viewing it at 8 p.m. on Sunday evening. Often times I'm busy with other things at that time. :idea:

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”