SEPT. 2014 READING/MEDIA

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
FelineFriend

SEPT. 2014 READING/MEDIA

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:03 am

I missed "Cedar Cove," on Saturday night because I was busy reading a page-turner "Shirley Jones: A Memoir." :oops: :shock: It's raw, graphic, and not for the religious or faint of heart. :idea: I enjoyed it, but am very shocked and surprised. It was interesting though.

I'll watch "Cedar Cove," On Demand this week, somewhere between a root canal, our W/A and DH's Dfriend's funeral. (We have a crazy week.)

"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" is on Cable TV tonight. This is one of those movies, which DH adores. I love the music, Shaun Astin, and others, but some of the creepy creatures creep me OUT! :roll: :shock: :oops:

As far as more Sept. reading goes, I "NEED" to read on the magazines, which publish short stories, called "True Story," and "True Confessions," because I'm in them, need to know what my co-writers are writing and what my editor's accepting. I can judge if I should change my writing tune, so to speak. :idea:
Also, I sent for 2 sample copies (1 each of) "Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine," AND "Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine." I want to learn a new genre.

I have 4 books, which are new. 2 are from The Dollar Tree, 2 are from the Library book sales shelves. I have a new Debbie Macomber book called "Love Letters," from the Rose Harbor Series. I have her "Starting Now," from the Blossom Street Series, too. I need to be more proactive about my reading and in August I read 2 on-line e-books by Debbie Macomber within 24 hours, each book. I'm so proud of myself. :mrgreen:

Happy September Reading! :!:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: SEPT. 2014 READING/MEDIA

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Bought 2 more e-books fiction. Have a new vogue knitting mag. A designer from our group has a sweater in it. I deleted books I had read samples I was done with off of my e-reader program to free up some space.
Past the half way point on the book I am reading it is finally getting a bit better.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:46 am

DH and I watched "Portrait of Jenny," the old movie with Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones tonight.

"American Ninja Warrior," is on and Tuesday night "America's Got Talent," will be on. It's good wholesome entertainment, for the most part.

We watched baseball today for awhile. Thursday the Seahawks will play their season opener.

I plan on reading short stories from the magazines I write for, tomorrow. :idea: It helps to know what co-writers are writing and what editors are buying. :mrgreen:

Sometimes, I put books I've read and want to re-read, in my Archive. Other books I've read, if they've been free e-books, I delete if I don't intend to re-read or didn't like. :idea: I heard the Nook Color can hold hundreds of e-books. Once, it got out of hand and I had over 700 e-books on my Nook Color. :shock: Now, I have fewer than 200. That's more manageable and a lot are very short e-books.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:06 pm

My book by Debbie Macomber called "The Shop on Blossom Street," is available. It's an e-book. I'll start reading it this afternoon, when I have more time to read it. :idea: I read that a member who goes to the yarn shop, gets breast cancer, so it may be a difficult book to read. I've had relatives with breast cancer and Dfriends. 2 friends and our DIL went into remission, but 1 Dfriend's cancer returned and went to her brain; she passed away. This book's going to be a struggle to read, I'm afraid, but I wanted to read all the Blossom Street series' books. :idea: I'll be brave and muddle through it and perhaps I'll gain a new insight I never had before. I recently wrote a new letter to a new pal who was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer on my Dgs's 3rd b-day this year. This book might help a lot, in my new relationship with her. :idea:

See how good books are for us and our lives and for those who cross our paths? :?: :)

I just wanted to say how I was so overwhelmed, exhausted and drained from the dental chair from 2 - 4:30 p.m. today, that I didn't get a chance to read "The Shop on Blossom Street." :( HOWEVER, I've (this evening) read on "Overwhelmed," and it's a free e-book, written by a pastor, I forgot his name, but the cover had the title "Overwhelmed" on it over and over, from top to bottom, on the cover, in orange letters on black. If any of you go hunting for it, I got mine at Barnes 'n' Noble. It may be at Amazon or Smashwords or other e-reader sites, too. :idea: I enjoy it, so far, because he's very honest and says that he doesn't believe you just memorize a Bible verse or say a certain quote and magically your anxiety, depression, or depression vanishes. However, in the next chapter, he states how his problems with emotions started being more able to handle, because he put his eyes on God, instead of the problem all the time. He still have overwhelm, but not to the panic state or state of insomnia. I think I'm going to enjoy this book because he's so human, tells about his mistakes and he's so very honest that there's no magic formula, but you CAN deal with life better, and not walk around day-to-day like a drugged zombie. :idea: :D He's hopeful! :mrgreen:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Barnes 'n' Noble has a good free e-book for the Nook at their blog today called "BENEATH THE NAVAJO MOON,", the author was Carter, but I can't recall if she was Linda Carter or another woman. :?: :oops:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:35 pm

I put a hold on: WHAT TO DO WHEN THERE'S TOO MUCH TO DO, REDUCE TASKS, INCREASE RESULTS, & SAVE 90 MINUTES A DAY, by Laura Stack. As I organize my home and for the holidays, this book will be a good one. :idea: :arrow: :mrgreen:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:51 pm

"12 Years a Slave," is on tonight! :!: :D

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Some additions to my library.
The rancher heart and stone by Diana Palmer.
Teacherman by Frank McCourt
Memoirs of a medieval woman the life and times of Margery Kempe
The beach street knitting society and Yarn club
By Gil McNeil
Above books I got at the lib. fund raiser so no time limit on those.

Rose Harbor in bloom by Debbie Macomber. I have this in e-reader form also. But the books weight less.

all paperback
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:58 am

I have "Rose Harbor in Bloom," in the e-reader version on my Nook Color. It's very good and I'm almost done.
The sequel is "Love Letters," by Debbie Macomber. I bought the (same price!) autographed hardback version of it.

We watched "Mountain Men," and next is "Ice Road Truckers."

On The History Channel, I believe, there was an ad for a series in December, which talks about John Quincy and others in Revolutionary History. It looked very good. It made it look like they focus on one character each week, but I'm unclear on that as fact. So I can't say for certain.

I enjoy e-reader books from the library, which I read in my browser. I download them, bookmark them, and can go on-line on and off throughout the day, to read. Also, for instance, at the end of Debbie Macomber's book "The Shop on Blossom Street," the info specs they had on me was that I read 810 pages and opened the e-book 9 times. It's kind of neat to read that, because those facts are interesting to me. Also, I've learned how to return e-books back to the library so other readers can read them after I do. :idea:

Nancy, Your book choices sound very good and so do the authors. I'll refer back to this page, to see the titles and authors, to search for the e-reader versions from our library. Thanks for posting the neat new reading ideas. The book by Gil McNeil sounds so GOOD! :P

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:34 pm

I'm an official Debbie Macomber Fan Ambassador. I just received an email, which led me to her YouTube page. She is announcing that her most recently written book is going to print now. It's available to pre-order at different book websites. the name of the book is MR. MIRACLE. In December, The Hallmark Channel will air "Mr. Miracle," the movie. :idea: :D I recall how cute the Mrs. Miracle movies were. Also, Debbie Macomber said she believes in angels and miracles and enjoys writing about them because she sees miracles happening all around her. I have 2 - 3 Macomber Christmas books, I've started and not finished. :oops: I plan on completing them by this Christmas though. :idea: I can hardly wait to see the movie! :P

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”