SEPT. 2014 READING/MEDIA

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
FelineFriend

Re: SEPT. 2014 READING/MEDIA

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:35 pm

PTSD often comes home with soldiers, Nancy. I'm glad he has the house to work on for a focus.

I was watching "Cedar Cove," on the Hallmark Channel. They had an ad for a series called "When Calls the Heart," which is produced by Michael Landon, Jr. and is based on the pioneer romantic writings of Janette Oak. I went to their site on-line, they have episodes you can watch there, if you sign in with a user name and password. They won't ask for money nor a credit card #, which is listed in their list of FAQ's. DH looked on our TV and this series isn't on our Hallmark channels nor On Demand, with Comcast. If I want to see it, I need to look at it on-line. Bummer. More sitting. :roll: The photos at their site showed a Canadian Rocky Mountain Police. The actors in it are very good.

DH watches a lot of documentaries on the History Channel and Discovery and others. We watch about wars, weapons, space, nature, presidents, the Civil War, stories on Gettysburg, and so much more. I love documentaries because I always learn something new. In History class in H. S., the subject seemed boring and dry, but I remember my teacher's enthusiasm. Now that I'm older, I can understand my teacher's enthusiasm towards history, whereas when I was a teenager, I thought he was "weird." Now, I guess I'M the weird one. :lol:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:16 pm

:D I decided to read: "A GRANDMOTHER'S GUIDE TO PRAYING FOR HER FAMILY," by Nancy Ann Yaeger. I'm on page 64, there are 300 pages in this book. At the end, there is a list of "Godly Character and Virtues Index" and a Scripture index. When I started to read it, I didn't have a DGD yet. I glossed over those prayers. But NOW, since I have a grand-she now, I can pray for her, too. :mrgreen: I'll use it as my Devotional book.

Also, RBC Ministries sent me a card, with their next free book offer. It's a 6-week Bible Study on Joseph and how he relates to us today. It talks about suffering, etc... I'll use it as my Bible Study, of which I'm so "green" and "lax" on doing. I rarely read the Bible. But having this Bible Study will help me gain more insight. :idea:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:55 pm

RBC Ministries is a non-denominational ministry, who send out free calendars, music CD's, DVD's, and books and devotionals. I received a free book with excerpts from other Our Daily Bread booklets (a devo) today. Also, I received a sample copy of "Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine" and "Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine," to study, because I'm a writer wanting to try the mystery genre. I used to read Alfred Hitchcock short stories in high school, letting Dmom think I was reading nurse Nancy books. :lol: I found the nurse books to be boring, but Hitchcock was suspenseful, scary, and exciting! :!: :P I'm looking forward to reading these magazines. I'm so happy! :D

Also, a writer friend of mine, Jan Christensen, emailed me her newsletter. She has a limited amount of free autographed books of collected short mystery stories to give away, for those who come first. I emailed her back, to let her know how interested I am. I hope I'm one of the chosen few. It's like it's in the stars for me to learn all I can about mystery writing and I'm so pleased about this, too! :D

The season finale of "Extant," on CBS at 10 p.m. is tonight, during the finale of "America's Got Talent." Luckily, we found out we can watch "Extant," On Demand, on Comcast Cable, anytime we want to. This is what we'll do! :mrgreen: :P

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Scorpion Monday after bbt. One of the new shows I am looking forward to this fall on CBS.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:10 pm

We're looking forward to "The Blacklist." :D

Pretty soon, DH will be watching baseball play-offs and the The World Series."

He continues to watch "The Roosevelt's," PBS Ken Burns' mini-series, too.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:32 am

I got a free e-book at B 'n' N today, called "CHASING DARKNESS, by Danielle Girard. It's a psychological suspense novel.

Also, at the library, I put an e-book on hold called, (I've seen this program on PBS), "WHAT ARE YOU HUNGRY FOR? THE CHOPRA SOLUTION TO PERMANENT WEIGHT LOSS, WELL-BEING, & LIGHTNESS OF SOUL," by Depok Chopra. I know he's "New Age-y", but he has good points about the mind-body-soul connection. :idea:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:53 pm

I ordered a Nook e-book called: "THE EVERYTHING HEALTHY LIVING SERIES - THYROID DISEASE: HYPERTHYROIDISM," by Adams Media. It gives information, tips, advice, etc... I thought it would be good to know more about it, since I don't know much yet. :idea:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:28 am

I watched the pilot of the "Blacklist", almost done watching "Nikita". Like 5 eposoides left.

Reading a sample book on writing, "A writers book of days" I think is the title. Tried to call the library yesterday but they had a training day and were closed.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:40 pm

Sorted through shelves in cabinets, of books I own and DD gave me long ago. Found 1 I got out and put a bookmark in it. It's a psychology-type self-help book, but it talks about expressing gratitude, cultivating optimism, practicing acts of kindness, nurturing social relationships, learning to forgive and practicing religion. So, it's a religious psychology-type of book. I thought it would be a good read. :idea: The title is: "THE HOW OF HAPPINESS - A NEW APPROACH TO GETTING THE LIFE YOU WANT," by Sonja Lyubomirsky. I've heard of her before, too. I believe I've read an article of hers on the Internet or have seen her name at a website.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:14 pm

"The Amazing Race" is on Friday nights at 8 p.m. here, this season. I'm rooting for the couple and she only has 1 arm because when she was surfing at age 13, a great white shark bit off her other arm. She's a professional surfer now. :o :P I'd love for them to win, because it would show disabled people or handicapped yet ABLE people how far they can go. :)

Saturday is the next to the last "Cedar Cove," season. I hate to see it "go". :(

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”