SEPT. 2014 READING/MEDIA

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: SEPT. 2014 READING/MEDIA

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:08 am

I am enjoying a series netflicks "Rosemary & Thyme" set in England for the most part mystery and gardener ladies solve this one is a delight to view.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:07 pm

Tomorrow, DH will leave at noon and return about 2 - 3:30 p.m., depending on the retirees' luncheon crowd. We looked through the menu and could not find anything good for me to watch, while he's gone. I decided to read on several magazines, my Nook Color, and on a book on friendship, which listening to music. I'm trying to finish a Nook e-book called: OVERWHELMED - WINNING THE WAR AGAINST WORRY, by Perry Noble, who is a Pastor and best-selling New York Times author. It's very religious, but I like it anyway because he says when we focus on God and our faith, our overwhelming feelings and worries diminish. However, he states, just because you might memorize a Bible verse, pray, and attend church, it's not magically going to give you the perfect life where nothing ever goes wrong in it again. But he's very honest, informational, and a very good writer. The e-book was free and it's a long one, too. 214 pages, but I use a larger font, like 14-point, so this may be why I have more pages on mine. :idea:

Nancy, Your show sounds very good. :D
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:31 am

I ordered the free Nook e-book from their Friday Blog this morning, which is a romantic history novel. AND today I was extremely ill with IBS and ordered 2 free e-books on the subject, but 1 is all about vegetarianism and juicing and buying their products. :roll: The other one's better, but I sprung for $1.99 + tax = $2.18, to get "Curing Your IBS the Natural Way," or something like that. I can't recall the author's name, I didn't write it down, but it's a man. It was one of their most popular e-books on the subject. I read the info at their site, on the book, which talks about fiber, tips, and things to help you get better the easier way, rather than with medications, etc... I know that they're going to probably talk about probiotics as being a good thing, too, though. Sometimes, supplements and green tea are real good for it, and other ailments, too. I enjoy my Nook Color so much. There is now a Samsung Galaxy Nook Tablet there, on special through the 14th, with $30 off plus $200 in content for the tablet, which sounds like a good thing, to me, but since I've got the Nook Color and the laptop, I don't really "need" a tablet. However, when Christmas gets here, it might be a fun gift to get. :idea:

"Cedar Cove," is on tomorrow night. Also, last night, on NBC there was a show about pets, which was hosted by Hoda Kotb. It was excellent, with info, and a LOT OF LAUGHS! I ♥ shows like that. :lol:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:23 am

Last night I watched a show on pbs about art and the British monarchy it was inspiring and interesting.

Finished the series I was watching bummer.
Finished a book I was using for a devo. this week.

Now I am watching another pbs show on royal buildings west minister abby, house of commons, etc. Interesting.

I am looking forward to the new tv season.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Finished reading the "How to Cure IBS," e-book. Started reading a free IBS e-book.

Want to get more free e-books on Alzheimer's and dementia, because of my own memory lapses, etc... :idea:

DH is watching college football, then the Mariners at 6 p.m.

While I crochet, I'm listening to "Winter into Spring," George Winston piano music on cassette tape on my walk-man. I have super-duper ear pieces, which are about 4" across, which a very nice.

I'll watch "Cedar Creek," on Hallmark HD this evening at 8 p.m.

I can hardly wait until the new season begins, too. :mrgreen:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi, I just ordered a .99 cent e-book called: RESHARPEN YOUR BRAIN, by Stephen Bucaro. He said he had noticed loss in memory and his mind wasn't as sharp, when he got older. He wrote this book to help us learn how to improve on our memory and help the memory loss progress slower. :idea:

I've been noticing memory problems, so this book's for me! :idea: :!: :)

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:02 pm

Started reading Miss Read's Village School. Just barely got started but I think I will like it. Y'all are the ones who told me about it, and it is a LONG series, so I may have check at the library for these. I am really accumulating a LOT of books around here and need to some serious decluttering.

Also very much enjoyed Joyce Meyer's Living Beyond Your Feelings. Must pass that on to dmom! But first I'm going to copy down some good quotes from it.
Tomorrow is another day.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Lucylee, I went to my library bookshelf to get out my Joyce Meyer book, I believe I've donated it, but it was something about feeling good and looking good. It was very good.

I wanted to tell y'all about some books I HAVE- past tense- :lol: have read! One's A CONFIDENT HEART - HOW TO STOP DOUBTING YOURSELF & LIVE IN THE SECURITY OF GOD'S PROMISES, by Renee Swope. She has a website, too.

Then, another great-great-GREAT book was by Debbie Macomber called: ONE PERFECT WORD - ONE WORD CAN MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE. It's non-fiction, very religious, and she talks about contemplating towards the end of each year, what single word she'll concentrate on in the New Year. It's wonderful how she gives readers examples of a word and how they pop up in her life, through scripture, things she reads, things people say, etc... and she truly believes the Lord's Spirit is leading her with her single word each year. :idea:

Now, this is a nifty little book, which I adore. I'm going to re-start it on 1/1/15. :idea: It's written by Jennifer Ford Berry. It is called: ORGANIZE NOW! - A WEEK-BY-WEED GUIDE TO SIMPLIFY YOUR SPACE AND YOUR LIFE. It's wonderful how Berry has the book set up, simple, going a week at a time, simply, and thoroughly through the year. It's a wonderful book, which if you get into your library at home, if you purchase it, you'll want to hang on to re-read again and again OR bless somebody in real NEED of this type of book. :idea:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:04 pm

DH is watching a PBS mini-series by Ken Burns for 5 nights, from 8 - 10 p.m. Pacific Time and it's called "The Roosevelt's." :D It's very good!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:23 am

We watched the history channel a show about war real thing helmet cam fotage and soldiers stories of Iraq and Afghanistan. Good info. To know praying for the guy that used to live across the st. Said his bro. Did three tours in Afghanistan and is on a lot of meds. I got the impression that he is pretty messed up. They are working on the house and it is good therapy for the bro.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”