OCTOBER 2014 READING & MEDIA

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
FelineFriend

Re: OCTOBER 2014 READING & MEDIA

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:44 pm

We like "CSI" on CBS on Sunday nights at 10 p.m., so is that 1 you also watch?

The news is a bit disconcerting, because they repeat the same info over & over again. I suppose they're going to re-hash it at the 6-month anniversary AND the 1-year anniversary, too! ARGH! It's so "hard" because I have 4 teenage boy grandsons. 3 are in the same county as where the school shooting was. It's so NICE to watch sports & TV shows & movies, to avoid this bad-sad-maddening news. That's the wonderful thing about TV! We can turn the channels or pop in a DVD or video.

I'm enjoying reading this month. Won't probably finish my current reading, until November, with Christmas crochet & all, but the reading I'm doing is interesting & so nice. The only book I finished this month was a short 1 from DD & a new book by CEO.
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:02 pm

Finished Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good, by Jan Karon -- the most recent of the Mitford series. VERY good.

Now reading Ruth's Journey, by... hmmm... will have to check on that again. It is an imagined prequel to Gone with the Wind, the story of Mammy, and how she arrived in America as a very young child, as a slave to Scarlett O'hara's grandmother. I think it is going to be VERY good also! The author also wrote the other "prequel" -- Rhett Butler's People, and I enjoyed it also. Both books have been authorized by the Margaret Mitchell estate, so that gives them a little bit of -- authority? -- I guess that's the word. Credence? Anyway -- I'm not a big fan, generally, of adding to or changing author's works, but if the Margaret Mitchell people think this man has done a good job of "continuing" the story in a way she would have approved, then I'm all for it, b/c I can never get too much GWTW. :D
Tomorrow is another day.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:07 pm

DH is watching "Up in the Air," starring George Clooney. I'm doing my holiday cards, so I'm not actually watching this movie. There's a lot of cussing in it.

I ordered a holiday-stress-fighting e-book last night. "HOLIDAY STRESS - TIPS FOR MANAGING YOUR STRESS LEVELS SUCCESSFULLY." It wasn't by an author, but said it's by "M & M Press" and in parentheses it says (Editor). I don't know what that means. When my cards are signed and sealed, I'll put aside some time to read my e-book.

The last game of The World Series is on tonight. It's game #7. I'm rooting for the Giants and DH is rooting for the Royals. Whoever wins the game today, wins the World Series. I'm partial to the Giants, because my deceased, wonderfully funny, GUncle was a fan, living in S. F. for years, but DH is rooting for the Royals. But NOW, DH says he doesn't care either way and he'll be happy no matter who wins. That's being democratic. ;)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:56 pm

Watching "Dude You're Screwed" reruns. Reminds me to get matches / lighter & small knife for my purse.
H. Went to the basement U tube is on maybe jeep something.
a buddy from work wants to follow us next time we go jeepin.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:39 pm

DH will watch a little football tonight, we'll watch "Parenthood," at 10 p.m.

I read 13 pages on the new book: "CROCHET SAVED MY LIFE! THE MENTAL & PHYSICAL HEALTH BENEFITS OF CROCHET," by Kathryn Vercillo. It's very good, she talks about different crochet women's stories, of depression, physical and mental health "issues" and they testify how crochet helped them. Vercillo also talks about studies done on crochet and why the needlecraft and knitting are so good for us. It's repeating motions, like a mantra or meditating or praying. It makes serotonin happen, which fights against negative moods, depression and ruminating.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 pm

I finished reading "teacher man" by frank mc cort some of it was really good other parts not so much.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:53 am

We ended up watching sitcom after sitcom all night on CBS! :lol: It's been a GR8 stress-reliever and fun way to relax to crochet and enjoy the evening. I LOVE IT! ♥

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:59 pm

We went to The Dollar Tree this morning. DH always gives me $2 - $3, after his shopping trips and errands. I had acquired $8, plus several quarters. I got 5 books. I'll list their titles here, will try to tell a bit about each book, from what the jacket covers say:

1- "THE BOOK OF MADNESS & CURSES - A NOVEL," by Regina O' Melveny. It's a story of a courageous woman on a quest to find her missing father. It's set in the Renaissance, it explores he wonders, and dangers, of Europe and Asia. She's a defiant woman, she practices the ancient healing arts, and is to be contrary to the laws of God and Man. The woman is ahead of her time, it takes place in sixteenth-century Venice. Her father vanishes, she spend years traveling from Italy to Scotland to Morocco and more, to try to find him. This is a debut novel from the poet O' Melveny. She draws from her Italian artist mother's memories of Venice and her own father's disappearance when she was young, to create a story of real longing. I thought the jacket descriptions were favorable, about this book.

2- "THE JERSEY STING - A TRUE STORY OF CROOKED POLS, MONEY-LAUNDERING RABBIS, BLACK MARKET KIDNEYS, AND THE INFORMANT WHO BROUGHT IT ALL DOWN," by Ted Sherman & Josh Margolin. I suppose the title pretty much sums up what the book's all about. It's 369 pages, not counting the index, and it's hard cover, too.

3- "THE FUNERAL PLANNER GOES TO THE WHITE HOUSE - HEALING THE NATION WITH JUST A BLACKBERRY & AWESOME SHOES," by Lynn Isenberg. It's a sequel to The Funeral Planner. It sounds like a comedic mystery, to me, from the cover, it's paperback, and is from MIRABooks. 328 pages long.

4- "THEN AGAIN," by Diane Keaton. This is an unforgettable memoir about Diane Keaton's mother, who was very into quotes, etc... 256 pages of reading, in a hardbound book. Looks very, very good.

5- [url]"DEEPER, RICHER, FULLER - DISCOVER THE SPIRITUAL LIFE YOU LONG FOR,"[/url] , by Tom Paterson. It's a religious book. Paperback; 242 pages, plus additional discussion pages, etc... The back cover says it helps identify important milestones in your spiritual journey, discover your spiritual roadblocks, create a life of joyous fulfillment, and deepen your relationship with God. It allows you to chart your course for the future. There are personal stories from U. S. Presidents to Walt Disney, to famous CEO's, and more.

They ALL sounds like such good reads,to me! I'm preparing for The New Year's reading in 2015, after the holiday crochet and festivities are over.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 pm

Tonight's TV viewing is:

1- "Amazing Race," on CBS at 8 - 9 p.m.
2- "Gold Rush," on Discovery Channel at 9 - 10 p.m.
3- "Blue Bloods," on CBS, 10 - 11 p.m.
4- Late news, 11 - 11:35 p.m.
5- "The Jimmy Kimmel Show," from 11:35 p.m. - (I think?) 12:35 a.m.? It's his special Halloween show tonight, the previews looked like a lot of fun, so we wanted to watch it.

I subscribed to "Crochet World," tonight. :mrgreen:

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”