Reading Media Nov. - Dec. 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
FelineFriend

Re: Reading and Media Nov. 2014

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:14 pm

I got out 2 books, by Debbie Macomber, which I'd started 1 - 2 years ago, but never finished. I'm on the beginning chapters, on both books. I'd like to read on them, Thanksgiving evening, and throughout the holidays. The titles are:

ANGELS AT THE TABLE - A NOVEL and 1225 CHRISTMAS TREE LANE.
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:48 pm

I am now reading Gap Creek, by Robert Morgan. It is very good! It is about a young Appalachian girl at the turn of the century. So far she has pretty much cleaned a hog, butchered it, and put it in the smokehouse almost on her own... and has prepared a body for burial, again almost on her own. It's pretty graphic sometimes, but it is so fascinating to me, knowing that my own ancestors came from that part of the country, and it certainly makes one appreciate the "easy" life we live today.

The book I am sending to the college girl is by Ruth Graham, daughter of Billy Graham. It is called A Legacy of Love/Things I Learned from My Mother. It is just right for gift giving -- usually runs about $10-$12 on amazon -- and it's a short, easy to read book with just a lot of good Christian wisdom on faith, family, and life.
I admire Mrs. Graham about as much as I do the Rev. Graham, anyway, so it just really caught my eye. A lot of what it says may not really "hit" these college girls until they are wives and mothers themselves, but I think there is plenty there for any young woman, and I've given it for high school graduations, wedding showers, baby showers, just about any occasion.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:59 am

I am watching "Reign" on net flicks. About queen Mary of Scotland enjoying this one a lot!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:35 pm

We watched "47 Ronin" today, starring Keuana Reeves. Or was the title "Ronin 47"? :lol:

This evening, we'll watch, "The Amazing Race" and "Blue Bloods" on CBS and "Gold Rush" on The Discovery Channel, we think. :?:

Tomorrow we'll watch college football and on Sunday, we'll watch Pro-Football.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm reading Leaving Cold Sassy by Olive Ann Burns. It's good, but then I enjoy most any book with Southern characters in a small town. This is the unfinished sequel to Cold Sassy Tree, which I have never read, but I did cheat and read the summary online so I would know what I'd missed.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:56 pm

You should go back and read Cold Sassy Tree too, elly! It's great! I used to have my students read it.
Tomorrow is another day.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 am

I am not reading anything of depth but I am enjoying Joy of being disorganized by pam young
it is always a joy to be here with you!

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Will do, LUCYLEE!

Waving to BLESSED, FRIEND, and NANCY! I enjoy seeing everyone's choices for tv and reading.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:41 pm

BTW, SUNNY, I like to watch Doc Martin, too. Also used to watch a British Show on PBS called "Kingdom". It was about a lawyer and that was his last name, if I remember correctly.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:41 pm

I finished reading "The Stress Cure," by Linda Evans Shepherd. It was religious based, I didn't 100% agree with all of it, but it was still a very good book.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”