Reading Media Nov. - Dec. 2014

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Reading and Media Nov. 2014

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:08 pm

I am discontinuing this thread after this month.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:33 am

Why are you discontinuing this thread after this month? Don't you like it anymore? Has anybody posted anything offensive? I hope I have not, DNancy.

I enjoy this thread. It's enjoyable, for me, to see what others are reading and watching on TV and in the movies.

But, then again, perhaps not enough people are posting,to actually keep it alive? Is that, perhaps, another reason for discontinuing it? I'm curious. :?:

But, then again, with a New Year, such as 2015, there probably comes a whole new slew of threads and forums at that time. :idea: :?:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:10 pm

Rethinking it and I need to make a change maybe to members only after the first of the yr. I want to be able to post about qt books and talk about that. So maybe in J & C still thinking on it.
I just read more in summer too. On this new board I cannot tell what forums threads are in. Moving this discusion to members only.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:51 pm

Nancy, are you talking about the reminder post from the moderators on Tuesday morning in PWYC? That post said to remember that it's a GOOD thing we have the Reading thread to post about what books we've read. It wasn't criticizing the thread at all. In fact, it was recommending it. It's no problem for anybody if one of our members recommends a book they read that is religious - that has happened a lot, for a long time, and everyone is fine with it.

The moderators were saying we don't want the boards to change and start having religious back-and-forth discussions like scriptural studies, which we've never done before and could make members uncomfortable. We just want things to stay the same as they've always been.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:07 am

I want to have this where only members can read it. Sometimes I want to have discusions on faith or a book on a sesitive topic so need to consider where that would go. Thinking on that.

So I am thinking it will be good to change and put post this thread in members only forum with a slightly diff. Name would be even better! So look for Reading and media room there next yr.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:01 am

So many holiday movies on this time of year what are your thoughts on those? Have favs. Love some, hate others, sappy, kid favs. Much to choose from.

I have Barbie nutcracker dvd Franklins Christmas and one other in with the holiday stuff gkids love. I hate It's a wonderful life too depressing for me. H. Likes it how ever.I watched one with Wilie Nelson H Harry Conic Jr. And Connie Britton (of the show Nashville) in it that was excellent but the name of that one escapes me now.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:04 pm

I have watched some of the holiday movies on Hallmark Channel. I have liked most of them. I have also been watching the mystery programs on one of our PBS stations as well as Doc Martin.

Nancy, the name of the movie with H. Connick Jr. is Angels Sing.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks Sunny.

I just watched a show Killing Kennedy a diff. Perspective produced by Bill O'Rielly. It was timely for Nov. Robe Lowe did a good job with his part I thought.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:25 am

Book Review:
Ruth's Journey/The Authorized Novel of Mammy from Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind, by Donald McCaig

This book was sooo sooo good!!! I just finished it and I put off reading the last few chapters b/c I didn't want it to end! If you liked Gone with the Wind, you will like this one. As it says, it is "authorized" by the Margaret Mitchell estate, and the characters all seem so true to what you would expect from reading GWTW. This author also wrote another authorized prequel, Rhett Butler's People, which I have also read, and also enjoyed -- but Ruth's Journey is better, I think.
It starts out when Ruth/Mammy is just a small child, orphaned in a revolution in Haiti. She comes to America with the French lady who will later become Scarlett O'Hara's grandmother... but her journey from Haiti to Tara is not quite as straight a path as you'd expect.
On the other hand, you see her growing into the exact character you expect. Aside from Melanie and Scarlett's mother, Ellen, Mammy is probably my favorite character. As I told someone who criticized the book for various reasons, I think the goodness and wisdom of those three characters outweigh the bad, selfish parts of Scarlett's character by a long shot.
Anyway -- if you have a GWTW fan in the family, or if you are one yourself, this is a GREAT Christmas gift idea.

Unfortunately, I have raved about it so much that now I find myself having to loan my copy to a dfriend. :roll: DH says I'll never see it again. :P

Oh -- and a
Movie Review:
Saving Christmas

This is the new movie from Kirk Cameron. It is maybe a little serious or slow, for children, but the message is wonderful. I left the theater feeling a little less Scrooge-like.
So often I am the one complaining about all the busy-ness of Christmas... the trouble of decorating, the hassle of shopping and choosing and wrapping... all that stuff. I love to look at my Christmas tree lights once it's all done, and I love being with (most of) my family, but all the social-ness of it sorta stresses me out, and the changes that are brought about by the loss of family members and familiar homes depresses me and makes me nervous.
However, after seeing this movie, I had the clear conviction that all the * stuff * we "have to" do for Christmas is just a small way of sacrificing for the people we love... and our sacrifice of time and energy and money is just NOTHING compared to Christ's sacrifice for us -- so all this busy-ness is just a way of showing our love, and being His hands and feet for the people we love, and hopefully for others who are less fortunate.
Also, the movie does a very good job of putting a Christian spin on the many decorations and may even give you a new perspective on some of the old ways of looking at things, even when you do try to keep a Christian perspective.
I really admire Kirk Cameron (and probably should say I admire his parents too), because he spent his youth as a child/teen actor and surely faced the temptations that Hollywood lifestyle offered, and apparently he has grown into a fine young man, dedicated to his family and devoting his life to making movies that have a message of leading others towards a Christian lifestyle.
Tomorrow is another day.

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:00 am

Hello all! I always enjoyed this thread.

Must report that I have read from Genesis to the middle of the book of Luke this year in my new English Standard Bible. I will need to step it up if I'm going to finish by the end of the year. Have not been following any schedule, just reading on my own. It occurs to me that I should probably not try to finish by any deadline, but rather just read and enjoy God's Word.

Have read a slew of other books this year, but find that I promptly forget most of them. I may start listing them here again.

Have been watching a murder-mystery series called Gracepoint. Also, DH and I are hooked on Doctor Who, which we see on netflix.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”