Hello All! I'm Ducky!

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
dearduckyducky

Hello All! I'm Ducky!

Postby dearduckyducky » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:39 pm

Hey! I'm new to the board, but not to SHE. Moved over here because my other board was getting to over populated with SPAM.
I'm a busy lady and I'm trying to keep my own little SHE world straight.

I'm a mom of three (DD9, DS7, and DS6)
I'm a home care provider for my developmentally disabled brother-in-law (he's about 13 mentally
I'm happily married for just under 12 years.
I'm a full time student in my bachelors program for education.
We have 6 hens, 5 cats, 1 dog, 1 house rabbit, and 1 opossum.
And.....
I'm a total SHE!
These all add up to a confusing and crazy life!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all! :D

Indiana

Re: Hello All! I'm Ducky!

Postby Indiana » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:38 pm

Wow ducky you are one busy lady.

Harriet has hens too. We also have caregivers past and present and probably future. A few have children too.

Welcome.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:59 pm

Hi dearduckyducky again. You mentioned several topics I felt compelled, for some reason, to share about! (I can be wordy)

My youngest dd is 10, as is helia's, and Mystery Woman has already shared with you that her girls are similar in ages to your children, with an 8-yr-old dd as her oldest. I'm frustrated right now not to remember Lisa B's children's ages. :oops: Dawn's son would be just younger than your youngest. Not sure if Debmaster or Hannibelle's youngest children might be close to your daughter's age. And then there are The Most Important People, whom I'm not recallingl right now but who will surely :roll: and then correct me about their children I'm forgetting.

Sadie is in the midst of same-house caregiving. I am dealing with caregiving as neighbor to my parents.

lucylee and Cowinkie are educators.

BookSaver is a wise woman re: cats, so I call on her to explain mine sometimes. LurkyLou works for a vet, btw.

Your opossum may qualify for most unusual pet now that helia's rat has passed away, although Kathryn's daughter has a very personable snake. In the forum Outdoor Spaces there are threads you would enjoy, Pet Show and The Productive Backyard, in which I just posted another pic, actually. I have new photos of my hens but they are still on the camera (sigh) - first egg from this new little flock expected Jan 1.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:05 am

Hello DearDuckyDucky,

As Harriet mentioned, I have two children, my DD who is also 10 (turning 11 in December) and my DS who is 18.

Welcome to the board.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

dearduckyducky

Postby dearduckyducky » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:50 am

Harriet, yes we get some odd looks when we mention our opossum. Boog is actually quite the interesting animal, and not anything like what most people think of opossums. She is very clean (cleaner than my cats!), they do not carry rabies, and she is very snuggly.

Indiana, my DD will be 10 in December! She is planning her party now. Last year we took a few of her friends to a movie and out for dinner. She really enjoyed that, so I think we are doing it again.

helia

Postby helia » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:05 pm

HI Ducky!! True confessions. . . I've been playing at 2 boards the last couple of weeks. Yes, I noticed all the spam on the other board. For whatever reason, this board doesn't seem to get a lot of spammers. The women here are WONDERFUL! This is a very warm accepting and supportive place. I'm a total SHE, but I'm always trying to reform.

My household population is a little lower than yours, but the girls are always begging for more animals. Heck, they were asking for a baby brother/sister the other day too. . . . I have a dh, ds14, dd13, dd10, ddog Pepper (sweetest black lab on the earth), 2 young guinea pigs Starburst and Taffy, and dd10 has a tank of fish in her bedroom. We just sold our cockatiel last week, and there is a push to get a kitten soon. . . . And there is a campaign to get chickens. Laws here have just changed (like a couple months ago) and it is now legal to have 4 hens in the city. I don't want to deal with chicks until spring; I've also said I don't want to deal with a kitten until after the holiday season.

dearduckyducky

Postby dearduckyducky » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Hey Helia! Yep, waiting til spring is a good idea on the hens. That way you can get chicks and raise them up. The more you handle them, the friendlier they will be. Ours are basically lap chickens. :lol:

Dove

Postby Dove » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi Ducky, and welcome! I've never known anyone who had a possum as a pet. And you made me :lol: at the "lap chickens" comment! Glad that you've joined us; this is a very caring & diverse little village.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”