ARGG!!!

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
luvs2read

ARGG!!!

Postby luvs2read » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:18 am

Hello everyone. I am new to this cardfile system, but think it could work for me. Am very frustrated with myself because about a month ago I had written on paper a detailed outline of how I would implement the system. Then, this week, as I am finally getting around to writing up my cards, THE PAPERS ARE NOWHERE to be found!! Now, I spent a lot of time on this, figuring out my weekly schedule, and all the chores and where they would go, monthly, etc. Now I have to start all over. This is an example of my perfectionism ( I couldn't start the cards until everything was perfect, sigh) that will teach me :cry:

lucylee

Re: ARGG!!!

Postby lucylee » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:27 am

Oh my... (((Hugs)))
I know what you mean... Things can just disappear around here.
My mother has decided that they always come back, however, and she no longer stresses at all about lost items. So -- hold that thought and try to relax.
In the meantime, maybe start doing your daily cards and gradually build back up. If you forget something you had written on your papers, well, you'll probably remember it soon enough. :)
Tomorrow is another day.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:30 am

Hi Luvs! Did the same thing last week. Had taken meticulous notes when I talked to the surgery center for my pre-op interview. Tuesday night I couldn't find them anywhere. Yesterday I happened to stumble across them upside down in a folder I had for my end of year tasks. That'll teach me to NOT put something in my notebook and 2) write on the back of that something. Hope you come across your notes as simply -of course it was a week late for me.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi, luvstoread! We are happy you are here.

Oh, this is so familiar to me, too. Either way too much attention to a perfect project, or misplacing a project when attention needs to turn to something else. It's especially rough when the perfected thing is the one that goes missing! Argg, indeed!

Actually, at least you "get" the perfectionist link - a lot of people have no idea that part of what they are struggling with is perfectionism. Everyone here is not necessarily a perfectionist, and yet some are probably perfectionists but not really the sidetrackable type. Some may be completely free of perfectionism but off "chasing a squirrel" quite often, so they are not sure about that first thing... ... (smile)

I like lucylee's idea of just getting the dailies down on cards temporarily and getting those going for you while you wait for the re-arrival of your excellent notes!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:39 pm

I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to scheduling, but I am when it comes to cleaning. I can't give a swipe at something and call it good. If I'm going to clean, it's going to be perfect. A spot left behind drives me crazy. Now, if I didn't even start a project, that's ok, I'll get to it. But once I start...look out!

We all have our little foibles. Give yourself permission to make a very basic list and enlarge on that as you go along. Then you are actually doing something and not just obsessing on the system itself. Systems are great, but useless if we don't actually use them. When we don't, we're just an author and P&P already did that!

Good luck figuring it out. It's nice to have you here.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:15 pm

IKWYM One time I set up a planner then tossed the sheet at the end of the day w/out a master plan lost the whole system. :roll:

luvs2read

Postby luvs2read » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:20 am

Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I am afraid I won't be able to remember everything but I guess it will all come back in time. Not only do I struggle with perfectionism but also procrastination. :oops: I really like the idea of a day to catch up on all those things we put off, I am making my desk day include those things. Just do it!! Before you lose the papers :?

luvs2read

Postby luvs2read » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Blush. I don't know if I should share this with you all, but here goes. I am really embarrassed to say I "found" my papers. I had redone them, and when I pulled my file box out to start transferring chores to cards, THERE WAS MY PREVIOUS WORK!! I had already transferred to cards, not a good copy but all on one card, ready for finishing :oops: :oops: :oops:

This is what happens when we procrastinate, sigh. I had totally forgotten what I had done. The good news is (and I have o find some good news in this), my BWP and most chores I had come up with the second time were EXACTLY THE SAME lol.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:39 pm

Always good when we finally do find something, Luvs. Can't tell you how many times I've done that even in this very small area.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”