Chore Bingo Instructions

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Chore Bingo Instructions

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:42 am

I have no idea how this works so am starting this thread so someone can explain it to me.

A regular bingo card is 5 x 5 with the middle square 'free'.

Some chore bingo cards I find online are 4 x 4.

Which will it be? We need to standardize or I can't see the number calling working.

I assume we'll each fill in the chores that work for us. Even if it is 5x5 I can't imagine any of us having trouble coming up with 25 (or 24 if there's a free spot) chores that need doing.

I figure we can each number our squares however we want, horizontally, vertically, randomly, but 1 - 25 so we all have the same amount of numbers. (Or to 20 if we decide the smaller board is necessary.)

Is someone going to 'call out' a square and we all go do whatever is in that square on our own charts?

This is the part I'm most unclear about. Please explain how the numbers are decided upon.

Here's a random number generator if we need one.

https://www.random.org/integers/

Or perhaps Harriet starts us off with a number and then the first person with that task completed calls out a different number, etc. etc.

I'm obviously overthinking this but this is something I need so I want to do it 'right' (would that be my perfectionist personality paralysing me?)

If we are playing all week, a refillable board isn't a bad idea. One idea I saw was to draw the grid on a large piece of paper (I've taped 2 legal size pieces of paper together), and write the chores on post-it Notes and place them randomly. You then remove the note when the chore is done.

Harriet: I expect you to be the leader on this.

blessedw2

Re: Chore Bingo Instructions

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:12 am

I guessed we would make up our own card - which would be random for everyone - (my brain tends to complicate everything)

I wonder if we could put the jobs in a jar (someone be a caller) and just pull a chore.

I love the idea that no matter what we all win!!!

I love seeing you d kathryn!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

kittykatt

Postby kittykatt » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:03 am

Please excuse me for sounding very ignorant, but I've never heard of "Chore Bingo" before. I'd like to join in, but I'm not sure what to do? Please don't worry about the time differences, I can just 'post when I can". :D

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:10 am

Kathryn - It seemed everyone had different time slots available to play, or busy with commitments / appointments.
My guess would be to make your list/bingo card (I've played board game style with counter and thrown dice for the number of squares to move forward as well) , pick a number - post what that task is at your place and just go for it. The next person in could use the same number on their own card, or even just do the task mentioned by the previous person if that suited at their house, post what they were off to do, then when it was done., or pick another number /task if that was what they were up to.

When perfectionism is a bother I think not to think everything has to be done perfectly.
Little defined tasks like PU 5 things to PA, or toss 2/27 / howevermany, or time length - 2 - 15 min
for example :- FL had 2min hot spot, 5 min room rescue, 10 min WHB segment, 15 min zone work on her daily plan when she used send out emails that way. ok - She had an hour for whb, but I never did embrace that.
I think the big thing is to not try too hard. Have some fun. Tell yourself well done at the little things you do, as well as any bigger effort.
The other day entry and bathroom came up for me. Both places I tried to tidy something/s away, toss a few, and clean something or a space that had been the focus of my attention. I counted it as huge for me.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:16 am

I posted my methodology in PWYC, I don't use a board, just a small bowl with numbers to pull, and a corresponding list of what I need to do. My own rule: I never spend more than 15 min on a chore - most of mine are the kind that I can drop at the end of 15 min if it goes that long, if the timer goes off the number goes back into the bowl to hopefully draw again. Most of mine are less than 15 minutes, but I also put in things like "Straighten up the garage" that could go on almost indefinitely.

I don't remember using a board when we played as a group years and years ago, we just made our own list and anyone called another number when they got back. But it got jumbled, because we didn't get back in time and then ran behind, so I think we just picked up with another number called....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:19 pm

I am getting excited about the game this week!

perhaps Harriet starts us off with a number and then the first person with that task completed calls out a different number, etc. etc

This seems simple and sustainable.

I will try any and all methods of the game. Just tell me the rules and I will give it my best effort.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:00 pm

Do we make the grids 5x5 or 4x4?

I wrote out 24 chores for me but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

I realize this is running all week but my chores are front-end loaded in the week so I can take a Sabbath on Thurs/Friday. Even with the weekly house-blessing chores, some split into parts 1, 2, & 3 to keep them roughly 15 minutes, I had a hard time to get to 24.

I'm out for most of the day with dd and dgs. And out almost all of Tuesday as well, so the game will progress slowly for me as well as others. Making it an all-week thing was a good idea.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:14 pm

I have a list and do that chore, or just pick a random one. It is fun and progress is made.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:20 pm

I thought the idea was to write a list of our own, numbered. Then a set of numbers...and someone start us off with a number and we have to do whatever that number is on our own list. First one done chooses the next number. I made my list and am up to 9 so far. Some are short things, some take longer. Some are numbers I hope never get picked. :roll:

Is this correct? I didn't think the goal was to win the bingo, but the motivation to do as much of it as possible. I suppose there are a lot of ways one could do it, though.

What time will we be starting?

I have to run to the post office some time during the day so if I'm not there at the start, never fear I'll be here!

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:47 pm

maybe we could have a bingo room (thread) where people could post the numbers that come up, and share their wins (doing a task/ any task is the win imo.) That way the numbers called could be easily found by those wondering what was next.
First one in starts us off?
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”