What are you wearing? (Capsule wardrobe?)

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
CathyS

What are you wearing? (Capsule wardrobe?)

Postby CathyS » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:55 pm

Hi!

Harmony posted in the PWYC thread about M M and a 33 piece wardrobe on Thursday. Some of you chimed in your thoughts on Friday. I think we should have a thread so we can all "be on the same page" kind of.

Over the past few years I have had a very small closet. I found out about capsule wardrobes after we moved into this house with only 2 small closets. I had to do something.

I put all my clothes on the bed and then "shopped my closet". I got rid of anything that didn't fit well. I got rid of all clothes with logos. Now I have a "uniform" of sorts and getting dressed to shoes every morning is so easy. All of my socks are black. All of my pants (both pairs) are black. Because I live in Canada and dh prefers the house to be cool, I do have a single pair of black snow pants. I just donated my only pair of boots. The driveway and patio are cleared by dh and everywhere I go has been cleared of snow. All under wear are black and right now both bras are blue. I will pick up a light coloured one when the store calls me to let me know that they are in stock.

So far there are 2 pairs of black pants and all socks and underwear are black. This is the only black in the active wardrobe. I have a "funeral" wardrobe which I have already decided to thin out the next time I re-do my closet. I will keep 2 tops. One is solid black and the other is black and white. There are 4 summer dresses that I live in for most of the summer.

Tops. They all fit. Most of them are blue. I have one that is brown and cream. I have one green top because dh liked it. All of the rest are purple with white and they are flower-y. There are short sleeve and long sleeve. One navy blue blazer. One blue and grey hoodie. (I just went and counted. 9 long sleeve and 10 short sleeve.)

I found that it bothers me to see other people tugging and pulling at their clothes because they don't fit well. Anything that I had to tug at or pull has left my closet and gone to a thrift store.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: What are you wearing? (Capsule wardrobe?)

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:54 pm

Following this thread.
I need to sort my winter clothes and clear out old favs that are past their prime.
I went through the jeans but need to think about them again.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:35 pm

I am thinking as I write this.
Something needs to change with my system storage dressers or ????
I have a season plan for clothes currently most of the summer stuff is in the basement in suitcases.
I have not idea what a capsule is so hoping to learn that.
I heard one gal talk about the 10 pieces of clothes. Not sure that would work for me.
I can do things with my color palate spring bright colors that I love but more muted ones in winter.

I have some old things I cut hems off of I wear as pjs tee shirts.
Have one pr of pants way past their prime next to the trash to go.
Another dressing gown that is a pull over the head style I do not love to donate got that out of the closet.
Other past their prime items I love and had loved old favs. need to go to the reuse pile.

Dressers I looked in oh my needs work!
------
I am not sure of a plan but I have other closets I can use.
I also need to purge things out of dgd and dd things that have been here and old towels in those areas.
They have clothes they do not love left behind taking up space.
And crafting supplies in some of the drawers of my paint stuff that could go else where.

My plan needs to be revamped but I am doing it in small segments of time.
I pulled the beads off the nails for other things to go there think mardi gras sp? type beads! :mrgreen:
Old TV box needs to go else where.

I hate clothes shopping.
Lots of my stuff is way old stains and holy but comfy.
I have one out fit for painting.

Right now I am in pj's that I made with a tee shirt teal in color a fav. but could be replaced.
Note to self look for teal teeshirt.
I have long sleeved ones with out logos short sleeve ones some fun logos some with out.

Decluttered pj drawer a good a place as any to begin. Tossed 2 more tops.
Started a donate bag iut us half full.
Nex I will think what to wear each day next week.

Dd was saying she went through her clothes and let go of otems that did not make her feel good.
Last week she got a too small shirt from me said keep if you want or not what ever.
Ay got the clothes to fit on the dressers.
I will redo it and purge deeper next week.
I did dust.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:55 am

Just found this thread. It is timely for me right now. I've just taken everything out of my closet and moved back to the master closet. It is a bigger closet but I have a lot of other things in there so have less space for clothes.

It was eye-opening to me to see what I have accumulated. I wear all of those things... different things for church and Friday's study and our small group hours, even just out shopping. I had gradually changed my slacks because people aren't wearing ones that are big in the legs or bells on the bottom. I was feeling sloppy in those. I won't wear leggings (and wish others didn't either!) but wanted straight leg slacks that are more in style. Most of the clothes I had were very old. But changing out of nice clothes when I'd get home keeps my clothes good for a long while. My "house" clothes are those things that have worn out or aren't dressy enough to wear to the things I dress up for.

Last night I made the decision to put 2 very nice pairs of slacks into the donate bin. I was going to work on them, see if I could redo the seams to make them straight legs but seeing what I have, I really do NOT need them so out they go.

A capsule wardrobe is a few pair of slacks or skirts or whatever bottoms one wears, then tops that work with any of them...but not too many. Everything is supposed to mix and match. I have 4 colors, blue (a lot of them) black (few) maroon which goes with pink too and just a couple green. Oh, a pair of cackey (how does one spell that?) that I love but are wearing out and lots of my tops go with that...and 4 jeans. This is too much according to the "capsule rules". And my hanging racks are FULL. Then there are the half dozen nice capris. Oh my. No wonder my racks are so full.

Then there are my drawers... a drawer of "work" clothes, for painting, gardening, etc. and I do need a few of them. And my "house" clothes. I need to get over wearing ratty clothes around here and start looking better everyday. Course, that means my clothes wear out sooner. Definitely need to pare down my PJ drawer which almost doesn't close right now.

Ak! I sure have some work to do, don't I?

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:55 pm

Well my wardrobe has shrunk quite a bit. I find I wear the same sleeveless t-shirt dress around the house most days. Bet is at least 15 years old> I have several nice shifty dresses I tend to wear when I run my errands...I have three pairs of shorts and several nice capris. Most of my tops are t-shirt types of different types of material.

I have garden sandals, knock around sandals and a few sneaker type slip ons...All my good shoes are classic style and since I have the room for them I don't plan to get rid of them. My winter shirts are basic long sleeve t-shirts, and I have several lightweight pull over sweaters. Most all my winter pants are jeans and a few very nice leggins. I have several low cut boots that I live in during the winter. I still have a winter coat and such because I have family and friends who live in the north.

I usually clear out anything I haven't worn in during a season. Been doing that for several years especially since I have retired, so my wardrobe as naturally decreased. I'm sure once I make it through this coming winter, my winter stuff with really be par down. I do have several very nice dresses for just in case, but they are very classic and could look fine even 10 years from now. I have them in my guest closet and the take up very little space so I have no intentions of getting rid of them

I just ordered a denim tank top swing dress. Its similar to my black t dress. Its made of good quality material and I know I will wear it forever. I have several denim dresses I bought years ago...except for the one I just bought....from Goodwill. One is a shifty type dress that I wear when I clean the house. My mother always cleaned her home in a shift and I guess I picked up that habit from her. I like to wear shifts out instead of shorts and a top because I find they are much cooler.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:32 pm

My summer "capsule wardrobe" is crewneck t shirts of many colors and shorts, cropped pants or a skirt/skort. I've spiffed up my wardrobe some this year because I didn't buy much the last two years, and because I'm almost 20 lbs heavier than last year. :roll: I get the T shirts at Talbots outlet and usually replace a few every year or so.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:44 pm

I moved everything again to my smaller closet. It looks full because that closet is the smallest one in the house. Still, it's a good size. I'm working on getting rid of everything that doesn't look nice or work well right now. Did some of that sorting today. It is hard to let go of stuff that would be just fine someday if I lose 10 lbs. But it makes me sad...so about half of that is gone now. I have too many everyday things, and a good amount of out to shop things and church things. As much as I want to pare down I am still finding it hard. I guess clothes is the thing I struggle with the most. Other things in the house, not so much.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”