Coming Home

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
cathyy

Coming Home

Postby cathyy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:26 am

After a lovely three years plus in tropical Thailand, we are coming home to Michigan. It's due to the health of DH's mother, since his father passed away earlier this year. It's due to the increasingly unstable political situation here. Much as we like it here, we are still happy to be coming home. Fritos! Squirt! Olga's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, and sugar-free products for my diabetes.

All the arrangements are going well. We sold our house in 15 minutes, to the people across the street when we told them of our sad decision to leave. We do the Thai equivalent of closing, which is the signing of the contract, the handing over of a large pile of cash, and the trip to the Land Office to transfer ownership the 14th of August. We are selling our car back to the dealer, for far more than we'd get doing the same thing in the US. We have plane tickets home with a mileage upgrade to Business Class.

We have an apartment arranged with occupancy the day after we arrive back in the US. I have bought minimal bedding, dishes, and pots and pans already, shipped to my DS's home so we won't be without the two months until our household goods shipment arrives. We aren't shipping much. No furniture, almost no electronics, no appliances. The movers come the 15th of August. We leave the 25th of August. The time in between is for selling our car, transferring money to our US bank, and transferring utilities to the new owners/paying final bills. Oh, and paying the movers.

No more maid. But I'll have a dishwasher.

Indiana

Re: Coming Home

Postby Indiana » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:41 am

cathyy oh boy you are coming back to the states.

I have been following your blog but I wasn't sure when you were leaving. Harriet was asking the other day if you were back yet.

It sound like everything is running smoothly for your move.

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:37 am

Hi, Indiana, and Harriet too. Yeah, things are going really well. Once the decision was made we started thinking about all the things we would have again once we moved, so we are excited and happy. And what woman can resist the lure of furnishing her whole apartment and kitchen from scratch? I've been drooling over kitchen appliances online for weeks.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Cathy, I've been reading your Facebook updates and knew that the time was drawing closer - It sounds like you've done an amazing job of figuring out all the details. :D

Come in and work with us again!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:17 pm

Welcome home, cathyy!!!
Tomorrow is another day.

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome back, Lucylee!

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”