Fall & Winter Reading

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
helia

Re: Fall & Winter Reading

Postby helia » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:37 pm

I'm still finishing up Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. This was my book club book last month - which I didn't finish. I'm finding it very interesting though. I'm learning all sorts of things about the state of health care (and life!) in Haiti and parts of Peru, nature of Tuberculosis and its treatment. And I'm sort of still reading The Gift of Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. I really like Potok, but I'm not enjoying this book as much as I enjoyed My Name is Asher Lev. I just need to make a big push to finish it.

I can't remember the next book club books: Mourning Becomes Cassandra might be the title of one of them. . . We're meeting again in a couple weeks.

As a member of the church moms group teaching team, I'm supposed to be finishing up A Praying Life by Paul Miller but haven't picked up that book for a couple months. We're going to use it as a springboard for some teachings in the spring.

For my theology class, we're reading through Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem, which is a seminary textbook, I believe.

Harmony

Re: Fall & Winter Reading

Postby Harmony » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:34 pm

Helia, I've read all (I think) Chaim Potok's books, I still think the first was the best, My Name is Asher Lev. Davita's Harp was the most different for me.

I found Maria, another E. Price book today.

I also came across author Richard Paul Evans books, he's got a lot of them, smallish ones and a lot of them are Christmas stories. I will edit and say whether I like him or not.

I hesitate to even admit I've finished this one, Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. 973 pages of Middle Ages, England. It was a wonderful story except for the very graphic parts I read with one eye closed as I usually do not read stuff like that...he could have not added so much detail, but the rest of it was great I thought. Anyone else read it?

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”