TUESDAY'S THREAD

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: TUESDAY'S THREAD

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:08 pm

Thanks for sharing that LM! He's sure grown (but I knew that so it wasn't too big a shock!)

Dh and I finished the project. It took over 5 hours to make up the collages and convert them to a photo file for Costco Photo Centre and then put in the order.

Costco shut down all the in-store centres in February. I'm OK with that. I'm OK with paying something for shipping. I'm not OK with paying 70% of the cost of the item for shipping which is what it is now on the mugs, just 35% on the water bottles.

I'm not OK for there being no break in the shipping fees no matter how large the order. I bought 4 water bottles and 3 mugs. Charge for the items, $110. Charge for the shipping $49 if I went with Canada Post but they had a disclaimer saying to expect delays and I have no time for a delay (we need these for the lake) so I paid $70 (plus tax at 13%) for the shipping. With taxes, the price was $202.

My biggest issue is there is no whisper of shipping fees anywhere on the website. You only find out about them when you go to pay for your order. By then we'd spent over 5 hours and were really sniping at each other and I'm out of time, so I agreed to put the order in but I refuse to be happy about it.

I'm furious. I've sent a complaint to Costco saying that the website is deceptive, hiding any mention of shipping costs despite there being 5 places they could have put it, including with the price of each item (e.g. Mug, $9.95 plus shipping.) For five years, I've ordered my mug online and paid $10 plus tax for it, picking it up at the store. Now that same mug is $17.

I will not be shopping at the Photo Centre ever again. I've also put warnings up on RedFlagDeals and Reddit.

I did my Costco shopping today and picked up the glasses so that errand is done. I'm not sure they fit properly (they can't adjust fit because my mask is over my ears and nose too. Sigh....) They took best guesses and we'll see. In the meantime, when I got home I finally saw myself in them for the first time (after spending over $750 on the two pairs.) That's because at home I don't have to wear a mask. Thankfully I like them.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:44 pm

Kathryn - That shipping cost is outrageous! I hope the cups are enjoyed regardless of the fee to get them.

DS12 just pulled his very last baby tooth. The end of an era. We have been through this baby tooth loss 20 times with him. I'm not sad to see this part of raising a child come to an end. We don't even pretend on the tooth fairy anymore. We just give some money to celebrate and then throw the tooth away.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:17 pm

HaHa! I have a little plastic box with 2 teeth in it. DD's and one of the teeth broke in half. Older DD saved them and years ago found them in her room and gave them to me. Some day I'll give them to younger DD. She can keep them .. or not.

Zat arans has a good mix for rice and beans. A couple different kinds. I usually cook from scratch, but these are pretty good. I haven't had them much lately...trying to limit carbs and rice isn't so good on the scale...

My new favorite easy meal is Teriyaki stir fry by Birds Eye. It comes in a big bag in the freezer section. Half the bag is what we need. Sauce is included. Has all kinds of veggies in there and I add things I have here. Today I had a big chunk of cabbage I sliced up and added and a lot of diced chicken left over from the last rot. chicken. Some of the bottle of my teriyaki sauce added to the sauce for the extras I put in. Next time I make it I'll get some fresh mushrooms to put in...they have some in there but not enough. I think they have a different version of a stir fry, I've had that, but this one is better. Must be the little noodles they add or something. DH hovers over the stove and watches while I make this...he likes it too!

Loved seeing the video LadyM. DSon is growing up into quite the young man. You should be proud!

Yep, Kathryn, that's quite a price. But when we do gifts, sometimes it's not about the price. I'll bet they'll be a hit. I don't like shipping prices either. Sometimes they seem like way too much.

Good day, everything done I wanted. A bunch of zinnias bloomed in front of the house, look very cheery. Even DH is surprised and impressed!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:19 pm

I worked on the scary room did another round on it and found something that got me going in there on this.
I need to redo some of my filing system for paperwork storage it will evolve.

Tomorrow I need to clear out the closet for now it will help keep boxes in process out of sight till I get to them.
I pulled out some paint supplies with the others. I have an idea of where to put the drop clothes for now.
I can do this!

Dishes are put away.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:13 am

What a nice looking young man you have there, LadyM! I remember when you showed us pics if him when he was maybe 4??? Oh my goodness — he’s grown up so fast!

I came out of my DO NOTHING mode and made supper, s/s the kitchen, and ironed clothes for dh.

Beautician finally texted back, so we have haircut appts now.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”