Wednesday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Wednesday PWYC

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:32 pm

Noon CI - 76 cards completed.

Did you know today's date is a palindrome? 4-24-24.

I made a skillet of Manwich type dish for DH. It is heavy in vegetables (onion, pepper, garlic) so the kids won't touch it.

DS15 is using potatoes cooked yesterday in the instant pot to create his masterpiece dish. Loaded baked potato. DS15 is super hungry and didn't think that would fill him up so I put a couple pizza pockets and dozen meatballs in the air fryer.

I had sweet potato and liver for my lunch choice.

Tonight meal with the church family is being served by the fella who has BBQ restaurant. There is always an abundance of good food choice available.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:40 pm

1:30pm ci - 79 cards completed.

I planted okra and carrots in several random spots in raised beds. I picked the spot according to the coolness factor. The carrots were planted where they will be in as much shade as possible from the tall plants around them. The okra likes to be full hot sun so I selected a place using that requirement.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:52 pm

Brunch is over eggs veg. & bacon yum cheese on the side.
Getting the rest of the stuff to burn that was only burnt in the middle currently nearly done with that.
Did a chapter in a book I"m using and the journaling with it & prompts I wrote down from the one
I did last night. More sitting than is helpful for my steps but I am not walking yet that will helps.
Out of pj's now!

County fair / Rodeo actives include
carnival
BBQ
Breakfast
4-H fair exhibits
Doubt I will go.

I need to figure out my food chicken fry or hb.
Unless I get to the market for meat.
I do have fish here on hand.

Still to do boil eggs. proofers to do that!
Eggs are boiled and cooling.
We have walked 68* here now.
Clouds roll;Ed om and it's gotten windy so glad I got the fire pit stuff done before that.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:14 pm

Last night and tonight have (had) a risk of frost, so no planting here yet.

I went and stretched on the bed next to dh. I fell asleep for over 2 hours. Oops!

Supper is on the stove. Pork chops take an hour. I also opened a can of green peas and dumped it into a small pot. Table is already set as well.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:34 pm

Dh came home for lunch and walked dog. He had an early appointment this morning so didn’t walk her earlier. We talked a bit about a bunch of things. I’m needing so much from him I’m trying not to nag or bring up other stuff to do, but we covered some of that.

Dfriend m- the friend we traveled with called this am. She’s always good for me. She has an amazing attitude and she makes me laugh too.

And dfriend m from down the street called and was going to the grocery so she picked up a couple of things for us. I walked a lap w her and her dh and two dogs too. I managed to walk Millie down to m’s doorstep too.

Signed on for kindle unlimited too, and as suggested, downloaded HP.

I feel better today.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:51 pm

As far as reading, Twins, currently I'm reading "Just the Nicest Couple" on my library app, Libby. (Author, Mary Kubica.) I can't really say I can recommend it yet; I just got started, but it has pulled me in. It's going to be a suspense/thriller type. So far, it appears that there are these two couples; the women are best friends and school teachers. One of the husbands apparently may or may not have made a pass at the other woman, even attempted rape, and she may or may not have hit him with a rock and killed him. I am only 14% in, so I have no idea if anyone is telling the truth yet, LOL... but it has grabbed my attention and I can't put it down until something comes along that I have to do, or it's 3:00 a.m. and I'm dozing off. But I've only had it two days.

So, today's PODA started with
[x] trip to elementary school book fair for dgd -- she bought a book with her own money and asked me to buy these two pens with little snow globes as toppers, "because G... and I are besties and we HAVE to have the same pen... and G spent all her money yesterday so she doesn't have any money today." I was ROFLOL. She also suggested we get her brother something, so I bought him a book. Then she got another squishy pen with her own money.
-- brag moment -- ddil had IEP meeting w/dgs' resource teacher. Found out he (in 6th grade) is on 12th grade reading level and 9th grade math.
-- brag moment #2 -- bedroom furniture switch seemed to be an amazing success -- dgd (2nd grade) got up and dressed, brushed her hair, and MADE HER BED with NO PROMPTING at all. :shock: :shock: :shock: There is hope for this household...
;)
[x] went to bank
-- they were no real help at all re: financial matters but made some suggestions about possible waiver of interest if I talked to credit card company again
[x] called social security office, found out they can wait till after telephone interview to get copy of marriage certificate on file
[x] talked to dmom (who called me)
-- she said (for the second time) "Lucy, why don't you just let me pay for that, and if you want to call it a loan, you can, and you can certainly pay me back with no interest however you want to. Or just take it. As you well know, we were able to do more for your brother than we did you, simply because we didn't have the money when you were growing up. I've still got plenty of money from selling that lot recently, and if it will make you feel better, I can give your brother the same amount of money to keep it even."
-- I told her thank you and I don't know how we'll settle the payments/gift/whatever... but that is a load of my mind, to think I'm not going to be adding interest to a credit card payment that will take me a year to pay for.

[x] went to Wmart,
-- got desert for church supper, peanut butter for this week's homeless donation request at church, a few other items, including an Italian cream cake, just because. I don't know if Wmart's is any good or not, but I never bought it before b/c dh hated coconut and I've been craving it. Also stopped at service station for a slice of Hunt's brothers pizza, just because.
[x] ds came over, set out hydrangea and gardenia
[x] ds and I went to cemetery to see if we needed to discard flowers,
-- decided we'd leave them a few more days b/c some still had good color to them
[x] TOOK A NAP :shock:
[x] PLAYED THE PIANO for about 20 minutes
[x] went to church, helped with supper, went to Bible Study class
-- told pastor about the lady at the retirement office suggesting GriefShare be offered at our church. Made me nervous -- now I'll be obligated to go because it was my idea... Sheesh... I need a new acronym -- MMN (made/makes me nervous.) Everything makes me nervous. :roll:

Is that enough entertainment, Twins?

:?: Does ANYONE have any idea how to print a document that arrived in text message, which I emailed to myself, and now it shows up as an HEVC Video Extension file? It is just a picture of a page in a spiral notebook -- list of addresses and phone numbers for those who ordered flowers at local florist. There's no video associated at all. :? It gives a print icon at the top of the screen, but when I print, it just shoots out a blank page.
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:57 pm

Apologizing for lack of personal responses again. I didn't think you were "insisting" on more info, Harriet, just thought I should share some more of the interesting trivia I learned. And that dog breed was definitely new to me -- it is a HUGE dog, probably compares to Great Pyrenees or English sheep dog in size? Not as long-haired as a sheep dog. It was really amazing how she said it stays with the herd 24/7, takes real ownership of it. She said the dog walks the perimeter of the pasture every night, and has actually killed a small wild boar in effort to protect the herd. These dogs have been reported to even fight bears in areas where they are found!

Trivia #2 -- a bear is reportedly seen on a trail camera about 40 miles SW of me. Some people doubt it, but we are in the very foothills of the Appalachians... so, who knows? They have often been reported in North Alabama, but I've never seen one in the wild.
I've never seen a wild boar in the wild, either.
I'd love to see them, but not in my own backyard, LOL. That would MMN. ;)
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 pm

Laundry Hill is conquered, and everything folded and put away. That does not include dd25's potential loads, but I leave that to her.

Planning an Errand Day. Tomorrow is the day for senior discounts at 2 groceries near us, so we are tentatively making plans to do that tomorrow. HRH also has finally pinned down pharmacy one to learn that he does have script to pick up. We'll want to get gasoline.

So glad you can say you feel better, Twins'.

Nancy, so funny about the wonderful guard dog, so good at protecting that the chicken population is getting out of hand. Dd44's dog is half that breed, but doesn't look like it - "brindled" markings (sp).

lucylee, we have had a bear here. The footprints were identified on our driveway, along with lots of other places around here - this was maybe 10 years ago. If we can have one, you can have one, I'd imagine.

Trivia on Appalachia chat and on chickens chat - Salmon Patties are a dish that originated in the Appalachian Mountains, nowhere near the fish's habitat, after U.S. Government provided canned salmon for nutritional supplementation in the '20s. During the depression, corn and cornmeal were so heavily depended upon by both mountain and sandhill poor in the mid-Atlantic states that they often made up meal after meal for the very poor, without variety, and the disease pellegra (lack of niacin) was a threat. The niacin in corn isn't absorbed well by the body, so the people needed variety. The sandhills were close enough to seashores that fish could be brought inland, but mountain people needed something transportable over a distance and it needed to be shelf-stable. Cans of salmon were a change of diet by themselves, but since people might have chickens, they learned they could add an egg to cornmeal and the canned salmon and create an attractive patty.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:46 am

My parents and my in-laws LOVED salmon patties. Dh and I, not so much. It must skip a generation — my dmom had to tell ddil how to make them. She and ds like them.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”