Monday Memorial Day PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Monday Memorial Day PWYC

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 27, 2024 8:47 am

Honoring and mourning the U.S. military personnel who died while serving.

Do you have someone that you are remembering today?
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Re: Monday Memorial Day PWYC

Postby Harriet » Mon May 27, 2024 9:30 am

Our family blessed to have no losses but I will always remember my dad's best friend killed in WWII air crash. His siblings were friends to me through my life. A devastating loss to my dad.

I'm at dd25's work this morning. Listening to a zoom call cluelessly right now, lol. She wants critique again as always, but the real reason I'm with her is that we'll manage some errands ATM, pet store, something else. She uses a standing desk in this new office with a "boogie board" to stand on and move legs, fidget.

Critique will be, again, that she tends to get bouncy optimistic. It may be valid, but can start looking less professional. She speaks too fast. One guy from Texas asks her to repeat ... .. lol, Carolina girl needs to remember her raising. Cucumber cool needed so everyone is with you.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 27, 2024 9:35 am

It has been exactly a week since DH woke up with memory missing. My stress level maxed out during the past week as I stayed by DH side while also trying to keep care happening for the kids, furkids and home. It wasn't an easy week, but I am OH SO THANKFUL that it turned out the way it has, and he continues to recover.

Did I tell you that one of the 4 youtube people I regularly watch experienced Transient Global Amnesia (TGA)this week? She videos herself all through the day sharing her meal prep, shopping, menu planning and general chit-chat. She has on video Wednesday when she started to feel brain fog and thought it might be because of allergies. A few hours later her coworkers took her to ER because she was repeating herself and not acting her normal self. She was videoing herself in the hospital ER as they were doing stroke protocol. After testing they determined she didn't have a stroke and gave a TGA diagnosis. I have now heard of 4 people I know IRL that have experienced TGA plus this youtube person. I thought that was strange since I had never heard of TGA before last week.

I am giving some focus to restarting my hourly step minimum. My goal is 14 hours but I don't expect perfection. I will do the best I can. I have been to the garden 3 times this morning. Once to harvest strawberries and peppers, once to harvest potatoes, and once to hand water.

Breakfast this morning was egg/vegetables/hot link mixture and hash browns. I am new to using dehydrated potatoes to make the hash browns. I think they will become a staple in our pantry.

News flash.....DH is currently doing the dishes for the first time in a week. WhoooHOO! I won't be a bit upset if he resumes doing this task. But more importantly the bigger picture.....his thinking is better.
1. Know what you want.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon May 27, 2024 10:10 am

No one in our family died in a war.
I have been thinking of the possibility of some widows that may have survivors guilt.
I do not have that.

LM I am SO pleased to hear of LM progress!
I did some stretching outside this morning.
I have done two rounds for weeding actually dead heading unwanted grass so that does not reseed by the patio.

Working on some journal stuff up an hr. later today I"m okay with that.
Will be 79* today might be a good day to bathe ddoggo & put on flea & tick Rx.
Then shower me and wash my hair & put in a load of towels when done.

I have a plan for the bed I"m using for ddoggo and needs a bit of binding and trim off one rounded edge so they match.
I've been pondering this for a couple of days. I have some fabric cut and is a Cmas print but ddoggo will not care. LOL!

Yesterday I enjoyed seeing my grass mowed and glad I did it on a cooler day.

Waving to all.

CI after ten / we have walked.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon May 27, 2024 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 27, 2024 10:59 am

38 cards completed.
5 hourly step goals accomplished.

I asked DH if he remembers how to run the generator. We start it every 2 weeks and let it run for 10 minutes or so. There is a series of steps that has to happen to do this task. I'm not sure I remember the steps, but I think I have it written down somewhere. Key to unlock generator cover, disconnect generator from house electric, something.....then start generator and let it run. Reverse the steps to stop it and reconnect to house electric. Thankfully DH remembered how to do it so I didn't need to get involved.

DH is on the zero turn mower and doing well.
*** Big Sigh of Relief*****
His memory is still iffy but his in-the-moment thinking is clearing up.

DS15 was ready to leave for work when his boss gave him the option of taking today off (holiday). DS15 is not working today. Double WHOOHOOO!! I love when he doesn't work all the time. IMHO, the ability to relax is as important as knowing how to work.
1. Know what you want.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon May 27, 2024 11:54 am

Normally I would think that I could just pop in and slowly catch up on the village.

Obviously this is not the case.

Thankfully, LadyM gave me a date to look for and I'm somewhat up to speed with her. Dh had a TGA incident a few years ago that freaked me out (him too!) but it only lasted a short while, starting almost immediately after bedroom activity. It was during Covid and I think after his first surgery so September 2021? He refused to go to the hospital and there were no other signs of a stroke and a google search came up with TGA so I read that to him, told him to try and relax and go to sleep and he'd be fine in the morning or we'd go to the ER (with Covid restrictions, I wouldn't have been able to stay with him, or possibly even enter the ER.) By the following morning there were no signs at all. He sort-of remembered the Amnesia but had no idea how bad he'd been. Our family doctor did a zoom call with him that day and told him it was likely TGA and there was no point in follow-up if he was fine.

I'm very sorry this is continuing for you. I remember how worried I was, it was not a good feeling.

I'm also aware of Lucylee's news, clued in by her current 'to do' items. I'm so very sorry, there are no words.

Goodness knows what else I've missed. It was Dee's birthday last week and I was thinking of her as well, and missing her.

I'm hopefully through the spring push and now have a few moments to myself.

Dh is currently in Hungary, then Cypress, then Switzerland. So I have time to recover from the endless, demanding, and at times infuriating demands on me that have piled on over the last 3 months. It was so relentless, I couldn't enjoy even the happy things.

I preached yesterday in my home church and that was the last of the Big To Do items with a Deadline I had to get done this spring. I ended up with some major praise (the best of which was, "Wow, now that's a real sermon!"), more indicative of how bad the quality of preaching in the church has been than my skill. Our minister has been away for the past 7 weeks. That has helped reduce my stress level but I just realized it will increase again when he gets home (which is today.)

We now have possession of the rental cottage (at my Happy Place, Hay Lake) and have settled in there. I'm at home now, but will head back up for 48 hours on Wednesday night (hopefully I get there before dark if I eat while I drive) and then again after I have dgs3 next week. The downside to a cottage a 3 hours drive away is that one can't pop up for a couple of days. The upside is friends can't just drop in either! It is a wonderful excuse to say "no" to church requests. My cell phone still doesn't work there and the internet connection is slow but it is definitely more reliable than in the cottage we normally stay in up there. So we can be up for a long time and keep 'enough' in touch but not hassled with the little things.

My main project while dh is away is I'm hoping to 'renovate' the kitchen by recovering the counters and putting up a back splash.

Why I'm here today is because I haven't been doing even weekly house blessings while I've been so busy with everything else. So today I'm doing a full house clean and when I clean house, I often talk to you all in my head.

I'm sorry I've been away so long. I may not be able to stay, no promises. Depression is never more than a cloudy day away and today is incredibly dull and depressing. The goal of the cottage is to help heal that. But, in the meantime, getting the apartment surfaces clean will help improve my mood.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 27, 2024 12:45 pm

Kathryn - What a joy to see your CI. Thank you for sharing about your DH TGA experience. It gives me comfort to know others have gone through it and recovered.

recovering the counters and putting up a back splash.

Interesting! I would love to hear more.

I pulled a large frozen lasagna out of the freezer.

Home from a quick trip to the city. Now to get back on track.
1. Know what you want.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon May 27, 2024 2:43 pm

LadyM: This is what I'm attempting to do (only using a white marble cling contact paper.) For a backsplash I'm going with a stainless steel look adhesive contact paper.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/contac ... untertops/

Cling paper doesn't use any adhesive, it is 'stuck' on using just water with a drop or two of dish soap.

Two months ago I covered my transom window over the patio door in the dining room with cling window 'stain glass' contact paper. It looks way better and I will probably do my living room at some point, although we have finally put up drapes in the living room in order to keep the heat from the sun at a more manageable level so I may not. Still deciding there. The final transom in the kitchen is now covered by a pothos vine. That looks amazing. I've just started another pothos growing up the wall on the balcony to cover up a large area of concrete (I usually have wind chimes hanging there but they are up on the porch at the cottage for the season.)

The kitchen counters are laminate and well over 10 years old now. Our cabinets are falling apart but there isn't anything I can do about that for now since the landlord will not redo the kitchen even if we pay for it. So I'm trying this temporary solution and if it works, I'll either smuggle in new counters by night, one section at a time and then have an installer come and install them, also bringing in cabinets one at a time. Or else I'll figure out I'll figure out a way to shame the landlord into doing something.

I'm on my third break now. Bedroom wing is completed, including cleaning the humidifier to put away and also working on my bathroom floor, finally removing the stains from the grouting that the bathtub tilers left on the floor. I had tried a couple of easy things but never really looked into how to get the grouting off the tiles. Turns out scrubbing alone wouldn't work but scrubbing with a paste of boiling water and baking soda made pretty quick work of the job. I'm thrilled about that but also kicking myself for putting up with the mess for so long when buying a special remover was not required.

The living and dining rooms are finished as well. The additional tasks in the dining room was changing a side table cloth being used to hide all the stuff underneath the table to something lighter and moving dgs3's chair mat at the table over to a new spot. He no longer needs a high chair or booster seat so he can sit next to me now, but I still want the plastic down to protect the carpet.

Laundry is progressing as well, with two loads finished and third just started. There's another load tomorrow and then I'll be caught up for the week.

Next up will be the office which can get a better clean than usual since dh isn't here.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon May 27, 2024 4:57 pm

white marble cling contact paper.) For a backsplash I'm going with a stainless steel

Those sound awesome together.

DS15 boss just finished renovating a home. Usually I love what he does but this home is different from his usual. I have been inside it several times as the work progressed, but it hasn't grown on me (yet?). Having grey, tan, white, black and stainless together in the kitchen messes with my sense of calmness.
The baseboards are 3 different colors in the kitchen. The master bathroom is mostly grey & white but the walk-in shower has 4 different patterns of brown tiles. He has many years of experience renovating homes for sale so there is absolutely a possibility that my aversion to multiple patterns and color combinations isn't typical.

After 2 hours of cooking the lasagna, it is done. It was supposed to take 1.5 hours but our oven likes to surprise us with doing whatever temperature it wants to be. The appliances are teaming up to play guess our temperature games. Yesterday the refrigerator froze the fresh produce. I need to replace the appliances in the kitchen. Someday.
Last edited by LadyMaverick on Mon May 27, 2024 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Know what you want.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon May 27, 2024 5:02 pm

I am so thrilled to look in and find Kathryn here!

Kathryn, my news goes back to middle of April. We did a Viking river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam, and in Amsterdam I broke my wrist very badly. I've had two surgeries to stabilize it and will need a third to remove one of the stabilizing plates. But currently, no cast because it's stabilized internally, stitches are out, and we're at the beach.

I'm right handed, thank goodness, but typing is hard.

Anyway, wishes for your wellness and mental health. I know of what you speak.

Hearing about your cleaning and renovation makes me wish I could do it. WE left home on 3 April and I'm still not caught up after that trip.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Post When You Can”